There are 176 users in the forums

Buster Posey Out for the year

That play was good clean baseball. The runner did what he was supposed to do. Ensure his team got the run. He isn't supposed to play with the other teams well being in mind as he enters the batters box to score a run with the throw coming into home plate.

Does anybody remember when Giambi slid into home avoiding contact, and Jeeter made that fabulous relay to the catcher, allowing him to tag the runner out? If the runner takes the catcher out, he doesn't have a chance to tag him out.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Krukpw made a good point, few years ago Prince Fielder destroyed Giants catcher Todd Greene and pointed out that he thinks its a macho thing to do, is to run over the catcher. He remembered Fielder and other teammates high fiving and celebrating while Greene had to be taken out of the game with a concussion. I don't think running over a defenseless catcher should be part of the game.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
People are saying it was clean. But it seems slightly dirty to me for 2 reason. 1) Posey wasn't even blocking the plate. If he had his leg blocking the plate, then sure lower your shoulder and see who wins the battle. But he was off the plate and completely giving home up for the slide. 2) Maybe the runner didn't see but Posey didn't even catch the ball. Runner was definitely looking at Posey and I would assume saw that, so no reason to deck a dude that has no chance at making a play. He gave you home and didn't even catch the ball, maybe just maybe you are safe to slide in.

Yeah he wasn't blocking the plate, but he still turned around for the tag which I guess confirmed Cousins choice to hit him

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
That play was good clean baseball. The runner did what he was supposed to do. Ensure his team got the run. He isn't supposed to play with the other teams well being in mind as he enters the batters box to score a run with the throw coming into home plate.

Does anybody remember when Giambi slid into home avoiding contact, and Jeeter made that fabulous relay to the catcher, allowing him to tag the runner out? If the runner takes the catcher out, he doesn't have a chance to tag him out.

Actually it was the other way around. Giambi didn't slide. I think he would have been out either way honestly. (Side note: till this day it completely befuddles me why the A's didn't pinch run for the lead-footed Giambi.)
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Actually it was the other way around. Giambi didn't slide. I think he would have been out either way honestly. (Side note: till this day it completely befuddles me why the A's didn't pinch run for the lead-footed Giambi.)

You're right. Point being, he shoulda took the catcher out.
says at least six to eight weeks
fcuk...we need to move him to 1st. god speed with your recovery
Ray Fosse calls Cousins slide "unnecesary" http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/26/SP6J1JM7C5.DTL
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Ray Fosse calls Cousins slide "unnecesary" http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/26/SP6J1JM7C5.DTL

Well of course he would, considering he got lit up in one of Pete Rose's most famous highlights ever, and is still suffering the repercussions.

If Posey makes it back this year, it will be a miracle. Until he gets better though, everytime I see that play I will almost want to cry.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on May 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM ]

• jimrat
  • Veteran

Its changed to Min. 6-8 weeks. Probably more like 12 weeks +.

but we'll see. I think its gonna depend on ligament damage.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Its changed to Min. 6-8 weeks. Probably more like 12 weeks +.

but we'll see. I think its gonna depend on ligament damage.

I would count on it being on the much longer side.

1. because of the ligament damage and therapy to recover

2. because there will be no reason to rush him back
Sometimes a broken bone is better than a sprain.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
No need to rush Posey back, stay on the side of caution with this one I say. Home Plate collisions are so stupid, there has to be a better way of doing it.
Share 49ersWebzone