LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Buster Posey Out for the year

Bengie Molina on line 5
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Sometimes a broken bone is better than a sprain.

True. Sprains can linger for a long ass time, while once a broken bone is healed, then its good.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Sometimes a broken bone is better than a sprain.

True. Sprains can linger for a long ass time, while once a broken bone is healed, then its good.

he's gonna have a cankle on the broken side.
This blows. I guess they have to pay for winning it all last year. If you look at the play, he went right at Posey, not for the plate. Unfortunately when you're the catcher, you are going to take some shots. I would prefer him playing first base, for the sake of longevity. The offense was already weak with Posey in there.
why does everyone keep saying he broke his leg....he fractured his ankle. he didnt snap his femur in half.
Bengie Molina on line 5
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Bengie Molina on line 5

Bring back Benito!
I'd shut him down

maybe bring him back if we are going to the playoffs
  • dj43
Originally posted by Niners99:
why does everyone keep saying he broke his leg....he fractured his ankle. he didnt snap his femur in half.

The bone he broke is the fibula, which is the small bone that runs from the knee down to the ankle area where it attached to the tibia (shin bone). It's job is "steering" the foot. As such, it is not as critical as the tibia, which is the weight-bearing bone.

The problem with a fracture of the fibia at this location is that the blood supply is not as great as it is higher up the bone and dramatically less than the tibia. The result of all that is that it frequently takes a much longer time for the fracture to heal due to the lesser amount of blood flow. Not to shop for trouble but it is not uncommon for fractures in this area to never fully heal.

As others have noted, the ligament damage, the extent of which remains unknown, is the substantially greater concern. From early descriptions of the MRI results, it is very unlikely he will return this season. The stress placed on the foot from playing the position will demand that he be fully healed before any return to normal play. The very best that could be hoped for would be to see some time at first base at the end of the season.
[ Edited by dj43 on May 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I'd shut him down

I wouldn't risk it at all.

His longterm health/career is by far more important then him being rushed in for the playoffs.

Go re-sign Bengie Molina.

Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I'd shut him down

I wouldn't risk it at all.

His longterm health/career is by far more important then him being rushed in for the playoffs.

Go re-sign Bengie Molina.

I wish we could, but I think Molina is still bitter at Sabean. Sabes would probably have to shower Molina with sexual favors for him to even consider.
Wow... bet he gets moved to first when he comes back.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Wow... bet he gets moved to first when he comes back.

Probably for the rest of the year when he comes back. Which is why it is important to get another catcher for this year and SOON because Whiteside is NOT an everyday catcher.
My guess is that Posey is out for the year. I simply dont see the Giants risking this kids future in any way unless he is 100% fixed and ready to go. Obviously we wont know that until the extent of the ligament damage is known.
That hit hurt me like the time I watched Joe get concussed in the playoffs by Jim Burt.
Share 49ersWebzone