There are 203 users in the forums

Buster Posey Out for the year

Here is my take on this whole thing:

I consider myself a baseball purist. I love the history and traditions of the game. I loved the game when I played it, and I love it as a fan. The play was completely in the rules of the game, clean play all the way.

However, I have never been a fan of being able to run over the catcher. I think of the cather as fairly defenseless in that situation, even with the gear. To me, it's just an injury waiting to happen, for both the catcher and baserunner involved in these collisions. I have always felt it's a play that doesn't really mesh with the rest of the game. That's just how I have always felt, before and after the Posey incident. I think it's safe to say everyone wants the players to stay healthy, and everyone wants the stars of the game to be on the field. To me, this rule just kind of spits in the face of that notion.

That being said, I do think MLB will take a look at this, but I doubt they make a change. I hope they do, so young talents like Posey, McCann, Santana and so forth can hopefully avoid injuries of this nature in what is already a very physically demanding position. Also the runners as well.

Either way, I'll never stop being a fan of the game.
I hope they don't change a thing. Me being able to say that after Buster goes down is saying something too.
Originally posted by DaManRathman:

I consider myself a baseball purist. I love the history and traditions of the game. I loved the game when I played it, and I love it as a fan. The play was completely in the rules of the game, clean play all the way.

However, I have never been a fan of being able to run over the catcher. I think of the cather as fairly defenseless in that situation, even with the gear. To me, it's just an injury waiting to happen, for both the catcher and baserunner involved in these collisions. I have always felt it's a play that doesn't really mesh with the rest of the game. That's just how I have always felt, before and after the Posey incident. I think it's safe to say everyone wants the players to stay healthy, and everyone wants the stars of the game to be on the field. To me, this rule just kind of spits in the face of that notion.

That being said, I do think MLB will take a look at this, but I doubt they make a change. I hope they do, so young talents like Posey, McCann, Santana and so forth can hopefully avoid injuries of this nature in what is already a very physically demanding position. Also the runners as well.

If your going to change the rule @ home plate, you have to change the rule @ 2nd base with taking out the thrower on a DP
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
wish this wasn't real..
Originally posted by ninerbrand:

If your going to change the rule @ home plate, you have to change the rule @ 2nd base with taking out the thrower on a DP

Why?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerbrand:

Little different when your sliding into a player then bowling over a catcher.......don't ya think
My EPIC 2000th post: "Why?"

LOL. FAIL!!!!

I hear ya man, but to me I think the play at the plate is the most exciting part of the game. They shouldnt change that. There is a reason why most catchers are big guys. If Buster was as big as some of your regular catchers...maybe this wouldnt have happened? just my opinion though.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

I hear ya man, but to me I think the play at the plate is the most exciting part of the game. They shouldnt change that. There is a reason why most catchers are big guys. If Buster was as big as some of your regular catchers...maybe this wouldnt have happened? just my opinion though.

Fair enough. I personally don't like the collisions, but I'm sure there are many out there like yourself that do. But like I said, whether they decide to tweak the rule or leave it alone, it will not change me from being a die hard fan of the game.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I don't want the rules changed, but I think if there was something to happen it would be NO running over the catcher..or leaving it the way it is. There really isn't a way of tweaking it IMO.

You think in that situation w/ Cousins storming home...say the rule is you can't hit a defenseless catcher (Posey)..you think Cousins is gonna stop and think if he's defenseless or not? No, he's coming home or he's not...and due to the circumstances of the game at that point..he's likely coming home.

Not too much you can do to it unless you're gonna take it completely out of the game, which I hope they don't do.

Originally posted by jrg:
I don't want the rules changed, but I think if there was something to happen it would be NO running over the catcher..or leaving it the way it is. There really isn't a way of tweaking it IMO.

You think in that situation w/ Cousins storming home...say the rule is you can't hit a defenseless catcher (Posey)..you think Cousins is gonna stop and think if he's defenseless or not? No, he's coming home or he's not...and due to the circumstances of the game at that point..he's likely coming home.

Not too much you can do to it unless you're gonna take it completely out of the game, which I hope they don't do.

Well yes, tweak was the wrong word to use there. Obviously, it's either OK or not OK to run over the catcher. Unless they want to make it like the NFL with the QBs!!!!!!.............
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Well yes, tweak was the wrong word to use there. Obviously, it's either OK or not OK to run over the catcher. Unless they want to make it like the NFL with the QBs!!!!!!.............

Which I pray they don't.

Nothing needs to change...it's just a tough break for Posey/Giant fans.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Which I pray they don't.

If Pujols was a catcher and that happened to him you would be singing a different tune.
A collision at home is always dangerous, for the runner as the catcher. Im surprised more players don't get hurt when they slide and leg collides with the catcher like Ford.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat201:

Which I pray they don't.

If Pujols was a catcher and that happened to him you would be singing a different tune.

Not at all. Obviously I'd be as frustrated as you guys, but one player being injured on a home plate collision for the first time in a long while is not worth changing a rule in my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone