There are 196 users in the forums

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011

Hell of a game by Timmy! Keep it up USA!!
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Five players on Mexico's soccer team, including goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa and defender Francisco Rodriguez, have tested positive for a banned substance and are out of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Decio de Maria, the secretary general of the Mexican soccer federation, said Ochoa and Rodriguez -- two starters for Mexico in last year's World Cup -- tested positive for clenbuterol. Also testing positive were three role players: defender Edgar Duenas and midfielders Christian Bermudez and Antonio Naelson "Sinha."

De Maria said he believes the positive results come from the players eating contaminated beef. Last July, Tour de France champion Alberto Contador also tested positive for the banned anabolic agent and said he consumed the drug in contaminated beef.

But until an investigation is completed, the Mexican players won't be able to play.

"What we presume ... one had to ingest contaminated materials -- meat or chicken," De Maria said. "Now comes the tough part, taking the players off the squad and opening an investigation. Meanwhile, it is a disagreeable moment to take this kind of decision, but we have to take responsibility."

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jun 9, 2011 at 19:03:59 ]
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Mexico likes everything in fives. Goals and banned players alike
Mexico is looking dangerous with chicharito upfront with dos santos and guardado as the wings. we need a midfielder torrado is too old now.
Typical USA performance.

Fall behind early because of some cheap mistakes. Turn it up a little in the second half. Get one back, then all of a sudden, start really trying with 20 minutes left.

Pissed that my boy Wondo missed that empty net. I was talking him up all game.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Typical USA performance.

Fall behind early because of some cheap mistakes. Turn it up a little in the second half. Get one back, then all of a sudden, start really trying with 20 minutes left.

Yeah, that game was disappointing. The pass to Wondo came in high and hot, but he's gotta put that away. Bradley had a late shot that he shoulda put on net. The first half was miserable though. Typical.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Typical USA performance.

Yeah, that game was disappointing. The pass to Wondo came in high and hot, but he's gotta put that away. Bradley had a late shot that he shoulda put on net. The first half was miserable though. Typical.

Wasn't even typical US, it was a PATHETIC attempt to just stroll through a team they always thought they could beat...a team they SHOULD"VE BLOWN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as Wondo did blow that scoring opportunity, so many other players need to be brought up before that:

- Ream clearly showed his inexperience and ineptitude to play centerback and should be kicked off for his blatant lack of effort and skill. Not only was he getting beat consistently, he never adapted during the game and put Timmy under constant pressure.

- Donovan lacked ANY wing presence and constantly kept running inside where the Panama D had clearly set up! We started getting better shots and attempts when we ::GASP:: CROSSED THE BALL FROM THE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING LOGIC FOR WHEN A DEFENSE IS CLOGGING THE MIDDLE!!!!!!!!!!

- Altidore (my favorite player ) once again reverted back to his WC antics and faded into the background b/c he had one-on-one defense all night. Not double team, not even bump and switch, but MOTHER****ING ONE ON ONE! WHEN YOU'RE OVER SIX FEET TALL AND OVER 220lbs YOU SHOULD NOT GET OVER POWERED AND BEAT LIKE A RED-HEADED STEP CHILD FOR 89 MINUTES!!!! (that one pass to Wondo was the only minute he actually tried)

- Bob Bradley thought he could get away with playing the same game he did against canada against Panama, a team with more speed, experience, and scorers, by using the same set-up. Even after going down 2-0 he thought his brilliance would finally shine through by keeping the SAME LAME-ASS PLAYERS OUT IN THE SECOND HALF, THINKING THEY WOULD "RISE TO THE OCCASION"?!?! THIS ISN'T THE WC TEAM THAT FELT INSPIRED JACKASS! THIS IS A NEW TEAM WITH SOME EXPERIENCE THAT NEEDS TO FIND IT'S PERFECT BALANCE! THE SWITCHES SHOULD'VE BEEN MADE AT LEAST DURING HALFTIME, IF NOT AFTER THE SECOND DAMN GOAL!!!! NOT 15 MINUTES AFTER!!!!!!!!

- Now I get to Wondo and Bradley, both of whom missed great opportunities to score on goal. Wondo clearly had "new guy" jitters but HOW THE F**K DO YOU MISS THAT OPEN OF A SHOT WHEN IT'S HANDED TO YOU?!?! IT'S CALLED FÚTBOL, NOT FOOTBALL, IT GOES UNDER THE BAR YOU COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE!!!!!! Then Bradley, who had many ample opportunities to take shots on goal only to pass it off into traffic to Dempsey, Anguelo, and Donovan, all of whom had no room, unlike Bradley. And his best shot of the night, as all of his shots, just go straight...no curve, no movement, just straight...DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW WHY YOU GOT YOUR ASS BENCHED IN EPL YOU P.O.S! DADDY COULDN'T SHOW YOU HOW TO BEND THE BALL A LITTLE BIT?

Only ppl who actually tried were Cherundolo, Goodson, and Howard. Dempsey couldn't seem to wanna shoot a ball inside the box, but at least he attempted some shots in the first half near the net.

I love the US and hope they turn it around, b/c if they think they can get away with this crappy shyt they call fútbol, they're in for a rude awakening b/c Honduras and Mexico are playing lights out and will destroy any shred of second half magic in the first 15mins if the US plays like that

Now that my rant is over, good day fellow Zoners
^^

That about sums it up perfectly.

- The defense is a constant mess. Outside of Cherundolo (who I really like for his effort but still isn't what you would call a strong defender), nobody else back there interests me.

- Donovan = Non-existent. Then the same schtick after the game: "Hopefully we can learn from this game." Uhhhh...this has been happening for years.

- Altidore is a worthless sack. Please possess the ball. We try to target this guy, and he keeps back-heeling it, flicking it on, dummying it. Control it and take a guy on! His goal against Canada was lucky, but at least it showed what happens when you make a move toward net. Good things can happen.

- I don't put everything on B.Bradley, but how much longer can stuff like this go on before he gets the boot? Flat play, no urgency to start games, wait for other teams to dictate how we play. At some point, he has to shoulder the blame.

- Side note on Howard. Not knocking his play. And I know the defense is poor. But him constantly yelling after every damn play is old. I play defense/center back. If I miss an assignment, OK, let me know about it. If I let a guy get a harmless cross off from 40 yards out in a one-on-one situation, and you come out barking about it, I'm not gonna take too much of that before I say something back. He doesn't do it every once in a while. It's basically after every ball that comes toward net.

[ Edited by SacRock14 on Jun 12, 2011 at 15:37:57 ]
^^

- The defense is a constant mess. Outside of Cherundolo (who I really like for his effort but still isn't what you would call a strong defender), nobody else back there interests me.

- Donovan = Non-existent. Then the same schtick after the game: "Hopefully we can learn from this game." Uhhhh...this has been happening for years.

- Altidore is a worthless sack. Please possess the ball. We try to target this guy, and he keeps back-heeling it, flicking it on, dummying it. Control it and take a guy on! His goal against Canada was lucky, but at least it showed what happens when you make a move toward net. Good things can happen.

- I don't put everything on B.Bradley, but how much longer can stuff like this go on before he gets the boot? Flat play, no urgency to start games, wait for other teams to dictate how we play. At some point, he has to shoulder the blame.

- Side note on Howard. Not knocking his play. And I know the defense is poor. But him constantly yelling after every damn play is old. I play defense/center back. If I miss an assignment, OK, let me know about it. If I let a guy get a harmless cross off from 40 yards out in a one-on-one situation, and you come out barking about it, I'm not gonna take too much of that before I say something back. He doesn't do it every once in a while. It's basically after every ball that comes toward net.

I would think that the defenders would just ignore him after a certain point.
Originally posted by Niner3030:
^^

I would think that the defenders would just ignore him after a certain point.

He has to yell, they're CLEARLY not listening to Bradley and he's constantly playing 2-on-1 or 1-on-1 against the forwards...no goalie is good enough to play without a backline

I'm pretty new to this sport. I watched what I could of the World Cup and really enjoyed it. Do they have these games available online?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I'm pretty new to this sport. I watched what I could of the World Cup and really enjoyed it. Do they have these games available online?

You can probably find a stream. Veetle usually soccer games. Games are also on Univision.

You can probably find a stream. Veetle usually soccer games. Games are also on Univision.

Fox Sports Channel (FSC) seems to have the rights to the US games so if you can you should see if you get this channel
univision, telefutura, galavision, pretty much broadcast ALL the games, sure it's in spanish but you can watch without much hassle.

I'm really not interested in this cup til it hits quarters/semis, these blowouts are not worth watching
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Fox Sports Channel (FSC) seems to have the rights to the US games so if you can you should see if you get this channel

American announcers on FSC are terrible. The best thing ESPN did for the world cup was bring in British ones.
Share 49ersWebzone