There are 272 users in the forums

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011

Gold Cup starts in a 2 weeks! LET'S GO USA!!!
  • NickV
  • Veteran
I'm lookin forward to the first match up between USA v. Canada. It'll be a tough match but Canada has been steadily getting a bit better the past couple of years and this maybe their chance to finally stand out.

Should be another Mexico v USA final.

Aslooooo:

The winner of the tournament will qualify for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil. The United States will be the host nation; the final will be played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California on June 25, 2011.
As one who devotes my time fully to Football, Hockey, and Baseball, I must admit don't follow this stuff much, despite my love for the game of soccer.

This is a tad confusing to me. From what I understand, the FIFA World Cup is THE big thing, the real deal, the main event, etc. when it comes to nations competing for the crown of being the ultimate champion in soccer. This is correct, yes?

That being said, then what are these other "Cups"? What is their significance? Is it something so big, that everyone in America should be following it? I have heard of the Confederations cup, but again, do not understand its significance in the grand scheme of things.

I love soccer, and will emphatically scream my head off for the USA, but by golly, I must know is it really worth my energy to get myself emotionally invested in this with all the other sports.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As one who devotes my time fully to Football, Hockey, and Baseball, I must admit don't follow this stuff much, despite my love for the game of soccer.

This is a tad confusing to me. From what I understand, the FIFA World Cup is THE big thing, the real deal, the main event, etc. when it comes to nations competing for the crown of being the ultimate champion in soccer. This is correct, yes?

That being said, then what are these other "Cups"? What is their significance? Is it something so big, that everyone in America should be following it? I have heard of the Confederations cup, but again, do not understand its significance in the grand scheme of things.

I love soccer, and will emphatically scream my head off for the USA, but by golly, I must know is it really worth my energy to get myself emotionally invested in this with all the other sports.

yeah World Cup is the big enchilada

these "other cups" are significant to each country as well. If you ever heard of the Euro Cup, the Gold Cup is the equivalent of it. Euro Cup is to the UEFA what Gold Cup is to CONCACAF. For us CONMEBOL (South America) fans the Copa America is the big deal. Basically it determines the champion of your conference (UEFA, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, among others are all conferences within FIFA) and as explained, the winners of these cups earn a spot in the Confederations Cup, which also invites the current World Cup champion and the host nation for the upcoming WC (Confederations Cup usually takes place at this same nation as well, a year before the WC)

So yeah it is a big deal, you don't hear about it much because the Gold Cup is like winter Dominican baseball, you only know about it if you REALLY care. Soccer isn't that BIG in CONCACAF as it is in Europe (UEFA) or South America where soccer is the #1 sport in 9 out 10 countries.

Africa (CAF, African Cup of Nations) and Asia (AFC, Asian Cup). Oceania (OFC, Nations Cup) is the other FIFA confederation, but I barely count that one because the competition there is so pathetic, especially after Australia moved to the AFC.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

these "other cups" are significant to each country as well. If you ever heard of the Euro Cup, the Gold Cup is the equivalent of it. Euro Cup is to the UEFA what Gold Cup is to CONCACAF. For us CONMEBOL (South America) fans the Copa America is the big deal. Basically it determines the champion of your conference (UEFA, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, among others are all conferences within FIFA) and as explained, the winners of these cups earn a spot in the Confederations Cup, which also invites the current World Cup champion and the host nation for the upcoming WC (Confederations Cup usually takes place at this same nation as well, a year before the WC)

So yeah it is a big deal, you don't hear about it much because the Gold Cup is like winter Dominican baseball, you only know about it if you REALLY care. Soccer isn't that BIG in CONCACAF as it is in Europe (UEFA) or South America where soccer is the #1 sport in 9 out 10 countries.

Africa (CAF, African Cup of Nations) and Asia (AFC, Asian Cup). Oceania (OFC, Nations Cup) is the other FIFA confederation, but I barely count that one because the competition there is so pathetic, especially after Australia moved to the AFC.

That is about as clear cut and 100% accurate as you're gonna get right there.
aahhh tennis!
Originally posted by NickV:

Extremely well-explained and well-said. Thanks a heap, vrab. Great info there.
I'm lookin forward to the first match up between USA v. Canada. It'll be a tough match but Canada has been steadily getting a bit better the past couple of years and this maybe their chance to finally stand out.

Should be another Mexico v USA final.

Aslooooo:

The winner of the tournament will qualify for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil. The United States will be the host nation; the final will be played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California on June 25, 2011.

Should be a great cup! I'm looking forward to a USA victory! I wish they would have had a few games up in Northern California this year though. It's been far too long!
f**k me, did this start today?

f**k me, did this start today?

Yup. Costa Rica beat Cuba 5-0.

The schedule is here
  • Veteran

I can tell you don't watch much of Asian soccer. I wouldn't call asian soccer pathetic, since Korea and Japan are world class teams.Also Australia and Iran can always give you run for your money.
lehgo!
Originally posted by 190836:

I can tell you don't watch much of Asian soccer. I wouldn't call asian soccer pathetic, since Korea and Japan are world class teams.Also Australia and Iran can always give you run for your money.

Misunderstanding, I was referring to the OFC, definitely not dissing Asian soccer
Chicharito did not disappoint.

Insane how much the game changed after the half. On another note, sitting on the bench at West Ham definitely hasn't helped Pablo Barrera's progression. He looks like he's actually regressed.
Share 49ersWebzone