There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coffee Retires?

Originally posted by 49erRider:
A joke was made that some didn't like. Oh well. It happens. Should he be warned for it? I should hope not.

There are rules on this site just like in real life. The rules are set for a reason, on many other sites you'd be banned in a heartbeat for a comment of that nature. The comment was not posted like it was in jest, it was posted in a dry manner, thus one can take it wrongly and it spirals into a personal attack or worse a flame war.

I have seen it happen many times on this site, and it all could easily be avoided by posting within the rules as opposed to thinking it's OK to post an offensive comment. Or if you are clearly joking make sure others will be aware that it is a joke. If you choose to post something of an offensive nature or that can be taken as offensive on the internet then you better be prepared for any consequences that could come of that, no different than making an offensive comment in public where somebody could decide to punch you in the face because they don't like what you have to say, jokingly or not.

That's fine, but my problem with Glen Coffee is he knew in college that football is not what he wanted to do. He shouldn't have entered the draft knowing he didn't want to play football. We didn't lose much in terms of what he can do, but we lost a 3rd round pick that could have been used on someone else that would help the team for more than one year.

And that's where you are not being understanding and looking at it from the wrong angle. Did you ever stop and think MAYBE he thought his passion for the game and desire to play would return once he turned pro ?

And we never truly got to see what he can do. He had 1 season and while his position is that where guys usually have the easiest transition to the pro's he only played one year so he never got a chance to improve on his below average performance as a rookie. He ran behind a poor OL and was somewhat of a victim to predictable playcalling.

There is no way to know how good he might have become had he still had a desire to play as there was room for improvement. Not every running back in going to shine as a rookie. Each player's learning curve is different.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Glen Coffee retired over religion..

Oh, great reason to retire! Now you're going to heaven Glen!

LOL
Originally posted by dj43:
A critical component of this thread at this point is that people must understand that others DO have strong beliefs that direct their lives. You don't have to agree with their beliefs but you must understand that it is the beliefs THEY hold that directs them. So while none of us can change Glen Coffee's beliefs, we have a societal responsibility to honor HIS beliefs by not attacking those beliefs..and that goes to other posters on this board as well.

Just saying...

Someone give this man a cookie.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by dj43:
A critical component of this thread at this point is that people must understand that others DO have strong beliefs that direct their lives. You don't have to agree with their beliefs but you must understand that it is the beliefs THEY hold that directs them. So while none of us can change Glen Coffee's beliefs, we have a societal responsibility to honor HIS beliefs by not attacking those beliefs..and that goes to other posters on this board as well.

Just saying...

Someone give this man a cookie.

I think Coffee went to work for this guy...
Good for you coffee. You probably won't regret this......oh wait yea you probably will.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Why!!!!! Coffee is retires right now?! I am like wtf! oh man... I think, Coffee was bother for pains and play to hit on ppl when he was painful for suffer?!? If he wants to play for soft? I hates to see who have to play for soft? that is cheap and nothing for easy!! i already see Soap is play for soft.. F**k Soap that he is fat azz... I love to see who have to play for pains and hits mofo... The pains will used and gains for strongs because I love PWillis does play for pains and hit.. He is great a defense and awesome blitz that is rock!

Rock!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
the lord doesn't pay the bills. have fun with that.

The lord pays big time and its all tax free.

Contributions from members and the property related to operations are not taxed to the church itself. However, pastors and anyone who receives a salary, wage, or compensation (i.e. housing or housing credit, etc) from the church pays taxes on that income and benefit.

........but treasures in Heaven are not taxed

Yah the 70 virgins are tax free.

Sus is an equal opportunity offender.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

How about we not discuss religion anymore? You can argue about it all day, but in the end, nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their minds.

A joke was made that some didn't like. Oh well. It happens. Should he be warned for it? I should hope not.

FWIW, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to explain Coffee's perspective. He believes God has a purpose for him outside of football and this is why.

That's fine, but my problem with Glen Coffee is he knew in college that football is not what he wanted to do. He shouldn't have entered the draft knowing he didn't want to play football. We didn't lose much in terms of what he can do, but we lost a 3rd round pick that could have been used on someone else that would help the team for more than one year.

I agree that we blew a 3rd round pick but it made me feel better realizing that had Coffee had known he didn't wanna play at the time and opted out of the draft, we would have probably just blown the pick on someone else who can't play.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

There are rules on this site just like in real life. The rules are set for a reason, on many other sites you'd be banned in a heartbeat for a comment of that nature. The comment was not posted like it was in jest, it was posted in a dry manner, thus one can take it wrongly and it spirals into a personal attack or worse a flame war.

I have seen it happen many times on this site, and it all could easily be avoided by posting within the rules as opposed to thinking it's OK to post an offensive comment. Or if you are clearly joking make sure others will be aware that it is a joke. If you choose to post something of an offensive nature or that can be taken as offensive on the internet then you better be prepared for any consequences that could come of that, no different than making an offensive comment in public where somebody could decide to punch you in the face because they don't like what you have to say, jokingly or not.

So your goal is to get me banned for a joke ?
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

How about we not discuss religion anymore? You can argue about it all day, but in the end, nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their minds.

FWIW, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to explain Coffee's perspective. He believes God has a purpose for him outside of football and this is why.

I agree that we blew a 3rd round pick but it made me feel better realizing that had Coffee had known he didn't wanna play at the time and opted out of the draft, we would have probably just blown the pick on someone else who can't play.

Sad but true.
Well this thread went downhill

-9fA
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LMAO

f**king genius
Putting all the religious bull s**t aside, the main thing is that this was probably McClueless biggest waste of a 3rd round pick.
Shoulda traded him to the Seahawks when we had the chance!