There are 226 users in the forums

Coffee Retires?

Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
the lord doesn't pay the bills. have fun with that.

lol tell that to Pat Robertson and Jesse Jackson.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

lol tell that to Pat Robertson and Jesse Jackson.

he shoulda gone the Reggie White route....i think god's a patient dude
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/coffee-ive-alre.html

I think at times one's faith can be misleading. He can do a lot more for Christ as an NFL football player who makes a considerable amount of money than a student with a graduate degree in consumer affairs.

Sad thing is, he is wasting his God given talents that he could have used to promote/aide his faith.

Not if he devotes his life to ministry he will do more outside of football. Money doesn't equate to the ability to help. Some people need more than money can provide.

the drummer in my old band did the same thing. we wewre right about to record and he pulls out of the band cuz he wants to do a worship band. alright thats cool for you but you couldve done that before wasting everyones time if u really wanted to do that. thats why coffee is getting s**t from everyone. singletary is a very religious man and he was a warrior on the football field. i think he couldve done a lot more for his faith as a player using his money and fame to promote what he loves. whatever tho. i wish him all the best. its over now, we will move on just like he did.
I thought his open apology to Singletary and the organization, fans included, that he "should have handled things differently" spoke volumes about his character. IOW, he should not have even entered the draft but felt compelled for many of the reasons that influence a young person, ie., family security, posse influence, take advantage of his physical talents, etc.

Now that he has had a fuller taste of both the opportunities and challenges of professional football, he feels it is not the place he is called to go. That happens to all of us as we go through life. There was time I was committed to go to law school but I changed my mind after seeing more of what the life of a lawyer is like. That isn't to say that a lawyer is evil or that I wasn't up to the challenger, rather I just realized that was not what would bring me satisfaction. I may have given up the possibility for a more lucrative life but life has been very rewarding as it has turned out.

I'm sure the are many that visit this board that are not in the same profession they envisioned for themselves when they were 21 years old, but feel where they are now is a much better place. That is the message I hear in Coffee's voice. He has accepted the fact he has hurt the development of the franchise by, in effect, wasting a high draft pick. He didn't try to pass it off to anyone else. He has said, "I made a mistake about my life direction and want to correct it now before I go further in the wrong direction." I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish they would have had a "do-over" at that time in there life.

Does this hurt the team? Probably, as Sing said, "Glen was having a very good camp." But it would have been no different if he had suffered a season ending injury that also ended his career. Let's hope that is not the case with Scott McKillop but it could well be the case. Obviously I am not wishing that to happen, only just using it as an example of what happens in the business of pro football.

So let's all man-up, accept his apology and wish him well. It is the only honest thing to do.

Well said.

While I am disappointed that Coffee is not going to be around and essentially the loss of a 3rd round pick, I completely understand and I am willing to accept his change in life direction.

Also, I am thankful that we drafted Dixon. If we had not drafted Dixon, we would be in a much worse position.
On the drafting of Dixon; I think it was Mike Shanahan that advised that a team would be smart to draft a running back every year due to the high attrition rate of RBs. Based on his success with different running backs over his years in Denver, I would say Balke is a Shanahan disciple, at least as far as the drafting of Dixon demonstrates.

Shanahan makes a good point. At the time of the draft, I viewed Dixon as a luxury pick (if that's possible in the 6th round) and questioned the move with Gore, Coffee, and Robinson already on the team. It turned from luxury to necessity overnight.
Why!!!!! Coffee is retires right now?! I am like wtf! oh man... I think, Coffee was bother for pains and play to hit on ppl when he was painful for suffer?!? If he wants to play for soft? I hates to see who have to play for soft? that is cheap and nothing for easy!! i already see Soap is play for soft.. F**k Soap that he is fat azz... I love to see who have to play for pains and hits mofo... The pains will used and gains for strongs because I love PWillis does play for pains and hit.. He is great a defense and awesome blitz that is rock!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Why!!!!! Coffee is retires right now?! I am like wtf! oh man... I think, Coffee was bother for pains and play to hit on ppl when he was painful for suffer?!? If he wants to play for soft? I hates to see who have to play for soft? that is cheap and nothing for easy!! i already see Soap is play for soft.. F**k Soap that he is fat azz... I love to see who have to play for pains and hits mofo... The pains will used and gains for strongs because I love PWillis does play for pains and hit.. He is great a defense and awesome blitz that is rock!

Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Keep posting on this board, please. Good to see you around.
Lynch is a good option might like playing for the home CAL crowd and Coach Sing doesn't put up with bulls**t...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

The lord pays big time and its all tax free.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by susweel:
Another life ruined by Christ.

Wow. Really, that is uncalled for. I hope you get tagged with a fat warning for that.

What a joke. A warning? Seriously?

I didn't know you could get warnings for joking about something or somebody that NOBODY can prove exists. Can we get warnings for making fun of the Easter bunny, too?
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

Contributions from members and the property related to operations are not taxed to the church itself. However, pastors and anyone who receives a salary, wage, or compensation (i.e. housing or housing credit, etc) from the church pays taxes on that income and benefit.

........but treasures in Heaven are not taxed
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Contributions from members and the property related to operations are not taxed to the church itself. However, pastors and anyone who receives a salary, wage, or compensation (i.e. housing or housing credit, etc) from the church pays taxes on that income and benefit.

........but treasures in Heaven are not taxed

Yah the 70 virgins are tax free.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.
Share 49ersWebzone