Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 426 users in the forums

Coffee Retires?

Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

Wow.

You have to be very deeply invested to believe any of that. I'll just leave it at that.
I would just like to wish Coffee the best in this next chapter of his life. As a fan, i wish i could have seen him develop in his 2nd year, thus breaking out into our future "feature back," but it was not meant to be.
His heart is not into being a pro- baller... so be it. I'm sure the decision was not easy, but he put thought into it and went forward. You just have to respect that. Good luck Coffee.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

Hey did anyone notice? Coffee retired!!
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

Hey did anyone notice? Coffee retired!!

Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

How about we not discuss religion anymore? You can argue about it all day, but in the end, nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their minds.

A joke was made that some didn't like. Oh well. It happens. Should he be warned for it? I should hope not.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

How about we not discuss religion anymore? You can argue about it all day, but in the end, nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their minds.

A joke was made that some didn't like. Oh well. It happens. Should he be warned for it? I should hope not.

FWIW, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to explain Coffee's perspective. He believes God has a purpose for him outside of football and this is why.
Originally posted by GSeef49er:
Coffee will be on seattles roster week 1. just watch.

Not likely. He'll still be under contract to us like Favre was to the Packers. So if he's in "retirement" and is still wanting to play he goes where we want him to go.

That's how Favre ended up in New York before he went to Minnesota.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

How about we not discuss religion anymore? You can argue about it all day, but in the end, nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their minds.

A joke was made that some didn't like. Oh well. It happens. Should he be warned for it? I should hope not.

FWIW, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm trying to explain Coffee's perspective. He believes God has a purpose for him outside of football and this is why.

That's fine, but my problem with Glen Coffee is he knew in college that football is not what he wanted to do. He shouldn't have entered the draft knowing he didn't want to play football. We didn't lose much in terms of what he can do, but we lost a 3rd round pick that could have been used on someone else that would help the team for more than one year.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,790
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

This thread sucks as much as Coffee.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
At least he didn't find Christ in the county lock up. That's usually where you can find him.

Don't joke like that you might get warned.

Should racially offensive jokes be OK then?

How is that in any way similar? You can't choose your race. You choose to be religious.

You pose a deeply theological question without realizing it. Do we choose God or does God choose us? Are we predestined and preordained for a specific purpose of God (providence and sovereignty) or do we have the 'free will' to make the choice?

The perspective from the human experience leads us easily accept option #2. After a lot of reflection on my life has me believing it's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, we chose God. From his perspective, he chose us.

I can't speak for other faiths but many Christians with biblical knowledge (yes, sadly there are many Christians who have never opened a bible) could easily argue that you did not choose your faith any more than you chose your race.

We obviously have a choice to believe or not to believe.

Your belief may seem obvious to you, but that same belief is not universally shared.

It's shared by all sane and rational people (I'm saying this and I do believe)...

I know a lot of people in the faith that believe we have 100% free will to make the choice. But there are many that disagree and the reason is if we have free will then does God not know what choices we'll make or did he not know from the beginning of time what choices his creation will ultimately make? That limits God's sovereignty and providence.

On the other hand, if God knew from the beginning of time what people would ultimately choose, why would he create some to be destroyed while others to be saved?

I suggest reading Romans chapter 9 . That deals with this exact question. The answer is controversial but, in my opinion (YMMV), I only see it as controversial because we don't like the answer.

[img=null]
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,338
A critical component of this thread at this point is that people must understand that others DO have strong beliefs that direct their lives. You don't have to agree with their beliefs but you must understand that it is the beliefs THEY hold that directs them. So while none of us can change Glen Coffee's beliefs, we have a societal responsibility to honor HIS beliefs by not attacking those beliefs..and that goes to other posters on this board as well.

Just saying...
Glen Coffee retired over religion..

Oh, great reason to retire! Now you're going to heaven Glen!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone