LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Like I said on January 6th when this thread started... Lincecum by a mile. It isnt even close. Willis would also be behind Buster Posey.

Now that I'm not buying.

Patrick Willis:

# AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2007)
# 3× Pro Bowl selection (2007, 2008, 2009)
# 2× First Team All-Pro selection (2007, 2009)
# 1× Second Team All-Pro selection (2008)
# 2× NFL Alumni Linebacker of the Year (2007, 2009)
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Like I said on January 6th when this thread started... Lincecum by a mile. It isnt even close. Willis would also be behind Buster Posey.

Now that I'm not buying.

Patrick Willis:

# AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year

its tough, because Posey has played on a much MUCH bigger stage.

Theres still some football watchers who dont know who Willis is because they dont watch the niners, and we havent been in the playoffs.

Casual fans of football probably dont know who willis is, but casual baseball fans will know Buster
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Now that I'm not buying.

Patrick Willis:

Theres still some football watchers who dont know who Willis is because they dont watch the niners, and we havent been in the playoffs.

Casual fans of football probably dont know who willis is, but casual baseball fans will know Buster

i'm sure a lot of casual fans still don't know who buster is
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Now that I'm not buying.

Patrick Willis:

i'm sure a lot of casual fans still don't know who buster is

Usually youre casual baseball fans, will watch the post-season...therefore they now know who Buster Posey is.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Linecum rules this f**king city
timmy not even close

a better one would me buster posey or willis

id take posey
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Lincecum by far. Willis is awesome but is nowhere near close to Lincecum
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

What's there to laugh about? Your opinion is invalid in this thread. First post says SF Giants AND Niners fans. You're only a fan of the Niners, therefore you're obviously biased towards Willis.
i actually think the arguement would have been better for lincecum prior to this year even though they won the world series. In terms of individual performance, his ERA (essentially the only stat that matters or is important for pitchers) was nearly a run higher than in '09.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by terrytate10:
i actually think the arguement would have been better for lincecum prior to this year even though they won the world series. In terms of individual performance, his ERA (essentially the only stat that matters or is important for pitchers) was nearly a run higher than in '09.

The only thing that matters is his world series ring.

And second of all, ERA is not the only thing that matters for pitchers
Originally posted by crzy:

what else is truly important?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Whip, K/BB, FIP, BAA

K's! For a pitcher, strikeouts are one of the most sexy stats. Striking out a hitter shows utter one on one domination. No one has had more than Timmy since he came up in the majors. Even with the wack August he had, he still led the NL in k's.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

K's! For a pitcher, strikeouts are one of the most sexy stats. Striking out a hitter shows utter one on one domination. No one has had more than Timmy since he came up in the majors. Even with the wack August he had, he still led the NL in k's.

Oh he's great dont get me wrong, but he had 5 starts allowing at lest 4 earned runs before august and there were 28 guys that pitched at least 170 innings that had a better era than him (it's hard to say that he had one of the top-5 2010 performances given what guys like felix, lee, halladay, price, jimenez, etc. did). and in terms of k's, I guess it depends how you interpret the question or how you're defining "superstar" K's are certainly more impressive, more difficult, and may reflect more prowess from the pitcher than the routince groundout or popfly, but do they help your more than those? strikeouts don't count as 2 outs, they're 1 just like the others, and while there is no possibility of a sacrifice or an error in with a strikeout, there is also not the possibility of a double play like a pitcher who specializes in allowing ground ball, so it's hard to make the arguement that strikeouts help your team more, only sexier or more skillful. For example, making a 20 foot jumper in basketball fading away with 2 guys draped all over you with hands in your faces does not increasse a team's chance of winning anymore than merely making a simple uncontested lay-up. They're both worth 2 points. In baseball (given the effect of the rarer error/sacrifice and double play cancel each other out), they're both worth 1 out, equally as valuable
[ Edited by terrytate10 on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone