There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McGwire named Cardinals hitting coach

Quote:
Chicago Tribune - Agent Scott Boras is blaming Mark McGwire for Matt Holliday's slow start to the 2009 season.

Holliday hit .226 with four homers in 28 games for Oakland last spring.

McGwire helped Holliday make some changes to his swing last winter.

"After five weeks [Holliday] went back to his old stance," Boras said. "From that point on, he was the same player he always has been

That pretty much guarantees Holiday won't be coming back to St. Louis.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Quote:
Chicago Tribune - Agent Scott Boras is blaming Mark McGwire for Matt Holliday's slow start to the 2009 season.

"After five weeks [Holliday] went back to his old stance," Boras said. "From that point on, he was the same player he always has been

Um...how?

[ Edited by jrg on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:17:14 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I've heard it all though...some say this and that guarantees Holliday won't come back and then I've heard people say they're talking on a new deal and he can't wait to get back in the lineup behind Pujols.
Originally posted by jrg:
Quote:

Um...how?

If McGwuire ruined his swing in a span of a couple months do you really think Holiday wants to listen to that crap for an entire season or longer? Yeah he'll probably ignore him but it will probably get annoying as hell after the first month or so. LaRussa was already a moron for hiring McGwire but if Holiday signs elsewhere LaRussa isn't gonna be the most popular person in St. Louis for awhile.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Quote:

Um...how?

If McGwuire ruined his swing in a span of a couple months do you really think Holiday wants to listen to that crap for an entire season or longer? Yeah he'll probably ignore him but it will probably get annoying as hell after the first month or so. LaRussa was already a moron for hiring McGwire but if Holiday signs elsewhere LaRussa isn't gonna be the most popular person in St. Louis for awhile.

Lol, previous s**t as small as adjustments in a batting stance wont affect someone signing somewhere. McGwire just offered him some tips. They didn't work out for him so he tried something else. I'm sure Holliday has the utmost respect for McGwire and a batting stance doesn't worry me at all in his chances of signing here.

And as for LaRussa, I can agree it may have been foolish to bring in McGwire due to PR issues, but LaRussa obviously brought him here for something. He feels he can help the team more then Hal McRae did last year..so we just all have to wait and see.
Originally posted by BobS:
Why would someone hire a known cheater liar as a hitting coach? Watch all the Cardinals gain 30 pounds of muscle in the off season and claim they were just taking supplements from GNC.

I'm not here to talk about the past lol
Quote:

Um...how?

Lol, previous s**t as small as adjustments in a batting stance wont affect someone signing somewhere. McGwire just offered him some tips. They didn't work out for him so he tried something else. I'm sure Holliday has the utmost respect for McGwire and a batting stance doesn't worry me at all in his chances of signing here.

And as for LaRussa, I can agree it may have been foolish to bring in McGwire due to PR issues, but LaRussa obviously brought him here for something. He feels he can help the team more then Hal McRae did last year..so we just all have to wait and see.

Then why do you think Boras would make this public to the world if it wasn't for that fact that he and Holiday are looking for more money elsewhere? Boras woulda kept his mouth shut if he and Holiday weren't looking for more money from other teams.

As for LaRussa I think he's starting to become senile for bringing in McGwire. There are a lot better people out there that can teach that team to hit other then McGwire.

[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Nov 15, 2009 at 13:09:13 ]