LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

McGwire named Cardinals hitting coach

• BobS
  • Veteran
Why would someone hire a known cheater liar as a hitting coach? Watch all the Cardinals gain 30 pounds of muscle in the off season and claim they were just taking supplements from GNC.
No roid talk from me James.

Do you think he'll improve your team's hitting? I'm actually pretty surprised with this move after the great offensive output they had this year. Sure they struggled in September and in the postseason but I don't think it was b/c of the hitting coach.
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

Do you think he'll improve your team's hitting? I'm actually pretty surprised with this move after the great offensive output they had this year. Sure they struggled in September and in the postseason but I don't think it was b/c of the hitting coach.

You WILL get steroid talk from me.

Declining late in the year is a sign of wear-and-tear and fatigue. If that's the team's problem, then McJuice knows a top-notch solution to that problem.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

You WILL get steroid talk from me.

Declining late in the year is a sign of wear-and-tear and fatigue. If that's the team's problem, then McJuice knows a top-notch solution to that problem.

That was awesome. hahaha
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Thank god.

I really don't understand the move..McGwire has never really been a great HITTER..he was always home run or nothing from what I remember with us. Just don't see how Hal McRae was fired..I really don't think he did THAT BAD of a job. I think this was part of keeping LaRussa here..because if you notice, both were reported at the same time.

I guess we'll have to wait and see..hopefully it works out for the best though.
Originally posted by jrg:

Thank god.

I really don't understand the move..McGwire has never really been a great HITTER..he was always home run or nothing from what I remember with us. Just don't see how Hal McRae was fired..I really don't think he did THAT BAD of a job. I think this was part of keeping LaRussa here..because if you notice, both were reported at the same time.

Yeah I always thought he was a .250 hitter or so with the Cards so I dont see how that improves the team, but I agree with ya I think it was just the team's way of keeping LaRussa. Although its a shame it may hurt the offfense next year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Thank god.

Yeah I always thought he was a .250 hitter or so with the Cards so I dont see how that improves the team, but I agree with ya I think it was just the team's way of keeping LaRussa. Although its a shame it may hurt the offfense next year.

Also, ESPN mentioned it may be a tactic in trying to show Holliday something and keeping him here in St. Louis.
This is such a dumb PR move. The only thing Big Mac could do was shoot roids and swing for the fences. Not the best person to be helping out Pujols, who's already a better hitter than McGwire ever was. This is definitely not the person I want to be teaching Rasmus or Ludwick how to hit.

Thank god.

Also, ESPN mentioned it may be a tactic in trying to show Holliday something and keeping him here in St. Louis.

Thats an interesting way to keep someone I'm not sure if it will work though. Sounds like he still likes the NY teams a lot.
If Pujols really aint on the juice, and he's taking hitting lessons from Big Mac, watch his BA drop to .200
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM ]

• jrg
  • Veteran

Thank god.

Thats an interesting way to keep someone I'm not sure if it will work though. Sounds like he still likes the NY teams a lot.

Which doesn't make sense. St. Louis the perfect team for him. Batting behind Pujols, in the NL (where he has done great)..closer to home (lives in Stillwater, Oklahoma)..probably gonna get a hefty contract from St. Louis.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
This is such a dumb PR move. The only thing Big Mac could do was shoot roids and swing for the fences. Not the best person to be helping out Pujols, who's already a better hitter than McGwire ever was. This is definitely not the person I want to be teaching Rasmus or Ludwick how to hit.

I'm really not a fan of it myself...but I hope it all works out.

Thank god.

Which doesn't make sense. St. Louis the perfect team for him. Batting behind Pujols, in the NL (where he has done great)..closer to home (lives in Stillwater, Oklahoma)..probably gonna get a hefty contract from St. Louis.

Ya I'm a bit unsettled by it too cuz it sounds like he just wants to go there for the spotlight and everything else that comes with NYC and not to actually win.
What does McGwire know about the nuances of hitting? I could understand if they hired Wade Boggs or Tony Gwynn, or even Terry Pendleton. You'll probably see a dip in batting average in some players (not Albert) and less awareness in situational hitting (productive outs, hitting to the right, bunting, hit and runs, etc.).

As a hitter, all McGwire knows is how to hit it hard (which he cannot teach) and when to look for pitches to drive in certain counts.

IMO, this is a bad move for the Cardinals, and I'm not even talking about the bad PR they will get outside of St. Louis.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
I'm sure he has tips for Albert.

Needle tips, that is.

Share 49ersWebzone