LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Name your all NBA OVERRATED team

Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
PG: Steve Nash
SG: Vince Carter? (do people still think highly of him?
SF: LeBron James
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Chris Bosh

BTW, LeBron's appearance on this list is solely based on the accolades that he's received from many people. He's a legitimately great player, but not as good as he's been made out to be.

I agree with everything but Lebron. He's gotten those accolades because he's probably the best player in the NBA. If he's not #1, then he's a close #2, and I think that's where everyone rates him.

I think both LeBron and Kobe are overrated.

They're the #1 and #2 players in the NBA. Everything I hear is about how they are the greatest of all time.

Kobe, I think, has legitimately pushed himself into the top 10-15. LeBron, though . . . dude has accomplished some things, but his game is still incomplete. He has zero rings, his defense is still suspect, he turns the ball over, and he travels all the time. Plus, he's juicing.

The best indicator of who's overrated is the All-Defensive Team.

that's not fair cause everyone travels in the NBA

I work with a guy that said he saw traveling on every single NBA play. I said traveling was rarely called, but to see it on every play is a bit much. Confused, I kept pressing him. Then, he says, "they always take 2 steps after they dribble!". He honestly didn't believe me when I told him that you can. I had to show him the NBA rules.

BTW, LeBron's appearance on this list is solely based on the accolades that he's received from many people. He's a legitimately great player, but not as good as he's been made out to be.

I agree with everything but Lebron. He's gotten those accolades because he's probably the best player in the NBA. If he's not #1, then he's a close #2, and I think that's where everyone rates him.

Along the lines of what dobo said, I consider Michael Jordan to be the best player that I’ve ever seen, and I think he’s very overrated. I don’t think the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Lebron is incredible, but he has holes in his game that make his team easier to game plan for, and I think that Kobe showed during the playoffs that he’s still the better player.

As far as Kobe goes, that’s a really difficult one to measure. On one hand, you have a group of people who have been going out of their way to discredit him ever since he committed the sin of being compared to Michael Jordan. There were several other players who were given this title (Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse, Grant Hill, & Vince Carter, to name a few), but the argument became moot in each of those cases.

Well, this country loves their MJ, and NO ONE will ever compare to him. Doesn’t really matter what they do, they just can’t be in his league. The public won’t allow it. ESPN ran a poll yesterday on what Kobe would have to do to be considered better than him. Win 7 Finals MVPs (one more than Jordan, and would give him 10 titles)? Nope. Win 11 scoring titles? (one more than Jordan, which means he would have to win every year for the next 9 years) Nope. Win 7 MVP awards? (he’d had to win every year through age 36) Nope.

The overwhelming result? Kobe will NEVER be considered better than Jordan. It doesn’t matter what he actually does.

So, you have that contingent, and then you have people like me that have spent an embarrassing amount of time defending the guy’s game against every irrational diminishment that came along. And at this point…we’re definitely not unbiased either.

The problem is, very few avid basketball fans are ambivalent about the guy. So is he overrated? Depends on who you’re asking.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fhysical:
What about Dwight Howard before the finals? That is pretty much the definition of overrated.

lol. maybe his offensive game is overrated. NOTHING about his defense/rebouding though.
Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by GameOver:
PG Monta Ellis
SG Tracy McGrady
SF Al Harrington
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Marcus Camby

Honorable Mention
Rip Hamilton
Jermaine O'Neal
Z

how's he overrated?

Damn good point, if anything he is underrated. Same goes for Tayshaun.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Kobe Bryant

He needs to prove he can win a title without Derek Fisher
Originally posted by crzy:
Here is my real overrated lineup

PG Chauncey Billups
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Yao Ming

BTW, Kobe's appearance on this list is solely based on the accolades that he's received from many people. He's a legitimately great player, but not as good as he's been made out to be.

You put that squad on the floor they will win 5-7 Straight titles.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:

PG Chauncey Billups
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Yao Ming

BTW, Kobe's appearance on this list is solely based on the accolades that he's received from many people. He's a legitimately great player, but not as good as he's been made out to be.

Yes but they would be "overrated" titles.
1. Jason Kidd/Iverson
2.T Mas
3. Carmelo Anthony
4.DIRK
5.Yao Ming

PG Chauncey Billups
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Yao Ming

Big shot ain't as clutch as everyone claims
Ming would be hurt for 6.7 years of the 7.
Dirk chokes.
Lewis disappears.

Hope they got some depth.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

PG Chauncey Billups
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Yao Ming

Big shot ain't as clutch as everyone claims
Ming would be hurt for 6.7 years of the 7.
Dirk chokes.
Lewis disappears.

Hope they got some depth.

Nash
T-Mac
Shawn Marion
Dirk
Oden

Along the lines of what dobo said, I consider Michael Jordan to be the best player that I’ve ever seen, and I think he’s very overrated. I don’t think the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Lebron is incredible, but he has holes in his game that make his team easier to game plan for, and I think that Kobe showed during the playoffs that he’s still the better player.

As far as Kobe goes, that’s a really difficult one to measure. On one hand, you have a group of people who have been going out of their way to discredit him ever since he committed the sin of being compared to Michael Jordan. There were several other players who were given this title (Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse, Grant Hill, & Vince Carter, to name a few), but the argument became moot in each of those cases.

Well, this country loves their MJ, and NO ONE will ever compare to him. Doesn’t really matter what they do, they just can’t be in his league. The public won’t allow it. ESPN ran a poll yesterday on what Kobe would have to do to be considered better than him. Win 7 Finals MVPs (one more than Jordan, and would give him 10 titles)? Nope. Win 11 scoring titles? (one more than Jordan, which means he would have to win every year for the next 9 years) Nope. Win 7 MVP awards? (he’d had to win every year through age 36) Nope.

The overwhelming result? Kobe will NEVER be considered better than Jordan. It doesn’t matter what he actually does.

yup, pretty much.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
1. Jason Kidd/Iverson
2.T Mas
3. Carmelo Anthony
4.DIRK
5.Yao Ming

no way Kidd or Melo are overrated. Yao is possible, Dirk and Tracy for sure.

So, you have that contingent, and then you have people like me that have spent an embarrassing amount of time defending the guy’s game against every irrational diminishment that came along. And at this point…we’re definitely not unbiased either.

The problem is, very few avid basketball fans are ambivalent about the guy. So is he overrated? Depends on who you’re asking.

Can't argue with that. Lebron's good, but he's got a LONG way to go...like learning how to post up and not playing 5-on-1 28 feet from the basket.

Hey, if Kobe wins 7 finals MVP's, I'll punch Jordan in the balls.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
1. Jason Kidd/Iverson
2.T Mas
3. Carmelo Anthony
4.DIRK
5.Yao Ming

no way Kidd or Melo are overrated. Yao is possible, Dirk and Tracy for sure.

Melo is not overrated but Kidd is definately overrated. Not saying the Kidd from 5 years ago, saying the Kidd from the last 2 years.
Share 49ersWebzone