There are 176 users in the forums

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is... Alex or Shaun or JT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Anyone who thinks that JT O'Sullivan didn't DESERVE to start last year is, plain and simple, an idiot.

JT was the best QB in the preseason, period. So what if he was only the best because he knew Martz's system. Who was our coordinator? Mike Martz. End of discussion. There is no arguing this.

Yeah i'd agree with this. Smith looked poor to mediocre but in the end, it didn't matter since he injured himself anyway.

Shaun Hill just looked lost.

-9fA

Smith was not healthy,that was plain to see,Hill needed to learn the system,so JT starting was a given.The problem is after the Detroit game the guy was worse than Hill by a wide margin.Martz not seeing his guy was terrible,and Nolan not stepping in to correct things were the problem.I am glad both of those asshats are history.Now at least we have a coach that will pull a guy if he is sucking it up,a coach that will step in and let the OC know he is being a dumbass when he is throwing the ball in the fourth quarter with a lead against Philly and Frank Gore averaging 5.3 ypc in the backfeild.Martz is such an inflexible moron.Not to mention now we have a healthy Smith and Hill to choose from.We are in an infinitely better situation than this time a year ago,even with the unknowns we face going into training camp.

It was the weak OL that was primarily responsible for JTO's problems, not JTO. The OL had/has an infamous history of poor protection so it amazes me that more fans don't even remotely mention that as a contributing factor to JTO going downhill -- its all about how horrible JTO was and what a moron Martz is.

You don't go from efficient gunslinger to fumbling butterfingers for no reason. The OL protection went away as they played better DL's (as you mentioned) and JTO's performance suffered as a result since he was forced to run for his life almost every play. You did watch the games, right?

Unless one claims that JTO's first four games were a complete fluke or, like you, attempt to excuse them away, the deciding factor was clearly the OL play -- where it all begins for an offense, btw.

While all you Martz-haters like to cite the pulling of JTO for your support of MS, it was actually his ripping into the OL (also conveniently ignored but proves my point) b/c of their poor protection of JTO following that "pulling" that was his greatest contribution as Hill proceeded to become the top-rated passer behind the improved OL protection that followed. JTO would've performed far better had he had the kind of OL protection that Hill did the second half of the season. The two go hand in hand.

Thanks for reinforcing my post about how bad Martz is.You say the oline was bad,and there we are in agreement.So if we saw the line was so bad,why didn't Martz adjust?I will tell you why,he is inflexible,arrogant has been that couldn't see the forest for the trees.There is absolutely no defense for not running the ball in the 4th quarter of the Philly game,or for continuing to take seven step drops when the line could not hold that long.As far as the line play improving,they didn't improve so much as the play calling improved.If the line is collapsing on the seven step drops,you start working with the three and five step drops.You are just making excuses that you would jump all over someone else for if the qb's name was Alex Smith.Every single time you post you further prove your lack not only of football knowledge,but plain old common sense.
Anyone who thinks that JT O'Sullivan didn't DESERVE to start last year is, plain and simple, an idiot.

JT was the best QB in the preseason, period. So what if he was only the best because he knew Martz's system. Who was our coordinator? Mike Martz. End of discussion. There is no arguing this.

Yeah i'd agree with this. Smith looked poor to mediocre but in the end, it didn't matter since he injured himself anyway.

-9fA

Smith was not healthy,that was plain to see,Hill needed to learn the system,so JT starting was a given.The problem is after the Detroit game the guy was worse than Hill by a wide margin.Martz not seeing his guy was terrible,and Nolan not stepping in to correct things were the problem.I am glad both of those asshats are history.Now at least we have a coach that will pull a guy if he is sucking it up,a coach that will step in and let the OC know he is being a dumbass when he is throwing the ball in the fourth quarter with a lead against Philly and Frank Gore averaging 5.3 ypc in the backfeild.Martz is such an inflexible moron.Not to mention now we have a healthy Smith and Hill to choose from.We are in an infinitely better situation than this time a year ago,even with the unknowns we face going into training camp.

I believe Smith was healthy all through training camp and pre-season and then tore the ligament again after JT was named the starter.

Giving JT the starting job was the right decision. He was head and shoulder above both Hill and Smith.

I agree with everything else that you wrote. How could Martz not adjust his playcalling for all the turnovers, poor line play and interceptions is beyond me. Singletary may not be our HC right now if Hill doesn't start last season.

-9fA
Alex Smith

-9fA

It was the weak OL that was primarily responsible for JTO's problems, not JTO. The OL had/has an infamous history of poor protection so it amazes me that more fans don't even remotely mention that as a contributing factor to JTO going downhill -- its all about how horrible JTO was and what a moron Martz is.

You don't go from efficient gunslinger to fumbling butterfingers for no reason. The OL protection went away as they played better DL's (as you mentioned) and JTO's performance suffered as a result since he was forced to run for his life almost every play. You did watch the games, right?

Unless one claims that JTO's first four games were a complete fluke or, like you, attempt to excuse them away, the deciding factor was clearly the OL play -- where it all begins for an offense, btw.

While all you Martz-haters like to cite the pulling of JTO for your support of MS, it was actually his ripping into the OL (also conveniently ignored but proves my point) b/c of their poor protection of JTO following that "pulling" that was his greatest contribution as Hill proceeded to become the top-rated passer behind the improved OL protection that followed. JTO would've performed far better had he had the kind of OL protection that Hill did the second half of the season. The two go hand in hand.

Thanks for reinforcing my post about how bad Martz is.You say the oline was bad,and there we are in agreement.So if we saw the line was so bad,why didn't Martz adjust?I will tell you why,he is inflexible,arrogant has been that couldn't see the forest for the trees.There is absolutely no defense for not running the ball in the 4th quarter of the Philly game,or for continuing to take seven step drops when the line could not hold that long.As far as the line play improving,they didn't improve so much as the play calling improved.If the line is collapsing on the seven step drops,you start working with the three and five step drops.You are just making excuses that you would jump all over someone else for if the qb's name was Alex Smith.Every single time you post you further prove your lack not only of football knowledge,but plain old common sense.

We could discuss this back and forth forever but the fact that at least one of you nut-riders finally admits that the OL had SOMETHING to do with JTO's downhill spiral is quite an accomplishment alone. I'm amazed! Only took 7 months.

I've never defended Martz not running the ball against Philly or any of his other relatively minor mistakes which are nothing more than isolated examples to attempt to justify your absurd opinion of him. I never said he was perfect.

I have no vested interest in making excuses for JTO or Martz since they were only here for one season and I could care less about them now. Martz is a famed qb guru and chose JTO for good reason. Isaac Bruce continues to praise Martz referring to him as the most brilliant offensive mind in the league which kinda overrides the Martz/JTO hating going in here by the MS-lovers. That's where my overall positive JTO/Martz opinion comes from along with what I saw on the field last season.

As far as my football knowledge is concerned, I know enough to know that it all starts in the trenches with the OL long before the qb can be held accountable. However, the Martz/JTO haters on this site have chosen to ignore the well-known OL problems and instead blame only JTO for all the ills of the world -- it's ridiculous so who's talking to who about football knowledge?????

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jun 21, 2009 at 15:10:37 ]

-9fA

We could discuss this back and forth forever but the fact that at least one of you nut-riders finally admits that the OL had SOMETHING to do with JTO's downhill spiral is quite an accomplishment alone. I'm amazed! Only took 7 months.

I've never defended Martz not running the ball against Philly or any of his other relatively minor mistakes which are nothing more than isolated examples to attempt to justify your absurd opinion of him. I never said he was perfect.

I have no vested interest in making excuses for JTO or Martz since they were only here for one season and I could care less about them now. Martz is a famed qb guru and chose JTO for good reason. Isaac Bruce continues to praise Martz referring to him as the most brilliant offensive mind in the league which kinda overrides the Martz/JTO hating going in here by the MS-lovers. That's where my overall positive JTO/Martz opinion comes from along with what I saw on the field last season.

As far as my football knowledge is concerned, I know enough to know that it all starts in the trenches with the OL long before the qb can be held accountable. However, the Martz/JTO haters on this site have chosen to ignore the well-known OL problems and instead blame only JTO for all the ills of the world -- it's ridiculous so who's talking to who about football knowledge?????

Its funny how its never Martz or JTO fault

Didn't Hill play with the same oline and offensive cordinator?

-9fA

Listen up son,I am gonna tell you this one time and one time only,I don't ride anyone's nuts.You can call it what you want,but I am just stating facts about Martz shortcomings,which are anything but minor.If you'd pull your head out of your ass,you'd be able to see that.Loosing a game is not a minor thing and Martz/JT combo cost us at least two.I have said all along that the horrible oline play was a major reason why all the qb's have struggled for the past few seasons,so it is not like you were the first person that figured that out.It is funny however that you choose to label oline play as an excuse when it was given as a reason Smith has struggled.Your football knowledge is suspect and you prove it almost every time you post in a thread.Of course Bruce is gonna praise Martz,they have a history,so no surprise there,what is he supposed to do,acknowledge that his old OC is a bumbling idiot?So go on riding Martz's nuts to coin a phrase you seem to be fond of,until you're saddle sore for all I care.It is refreshing that you finally realize that oline play has been a problem that has been ongoing for five years or more now.Just remember that that reason is why ALL of our qb's have had problems.Come to think of it,you go right on believing whatever it is that gets ya through the day,you are not worth the effort.
Originally posted by plinius9mm:

-9fA

Its funny how its never Martz or JTO fault

Didn't Hill play with the same oline and offensive cordinator?

Who said that?? Were you reading another post b/c nowhere in MY post does it say that. Stop making things up. Hill played with the same OL following a thorough thrashing by your beloved MS for their horrible lack of protection of JTO -- are you aware of that??

Any offensive system (esp Martz's) requires adequate OL protection for the qb so to say that Hill (the top-rated passer last season) played behind the "same" OL that forced JTO to run for his life almost every play and gave the offensive plays almost no time to set up is absurd b/c OL protection obviously improved during the second half of the season -- either that or Hill was the second-coming of Montana.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jun 21, 2009 at 22:03:59 ]
I think Hill will start the season, but if he f**ks up, Alex Smith will be in there very quickly

Listen up son,I am gonna tell you this one time and one time only,I don't ride anyone's nuts.You can call it what you want,but I am just stating facts about Martz shortcomings,which are anything but minor.If you'd pull your head out of your ass,you'd be able to see that.Loosing a game is not a minor thing and Martz/JT combo cost us at least two.I have said all along that the horrible oline play was a major reason why all the qb's have struggled for the past few seasons,so it is not like you were the first person that figured that out.It is funny however that you choose to label oline play as an excuse when it was given as a reason Smith has struggled.Your football knowledge is suspect and you prove it almost every time you post in a thread.Of course Bruce is gonna praise Martz,they have a history,so no surprise there,what is he supposed to do,acknowledge that his old OC is a bumbling idiot?So go on riding Martz's nuts to coin a phrase you seem to be fond of,until you're saddle sore for all I care.It is refreshing that you finally realize that oline play has been a problem that has been ongoing for five years or more now.Just remember that that reason is why ALL of our qb's have had problems.Come to think of it,you go right on believing whatever it is that gets ya through the day,you are not worth the effort.

Oh, I see. Forgive me, you're more of an Alex Leaf nut-rider. My mistake. You'd like me to excuse Smith by blaming the OL entirely, uh? ALL of Smith's problems are the result of the OL, right?? JTO is not a superior qb to Smith, is that it? The fact is, the two qb situations were totally different -- JTO proved he could play at a high level given protection and Smith did not -- didn't even come close to performing anywhere NEAR the level of JTO during those first few games.

Despite your biased contention, the facts surrounding Smith's numerous mental and physical problems playing qb have been discussed at length probably highlighted my Jaw's comments way back when. His horrible mechanics, bad throws, misreads, lack of touch and accuracy on the ball and his apparent inability or unwillingness to move his cemented feet to avoid the rush or a sack have NOTHING to do with the OL, Sherlock but, yeah, let's blame the OL for Smith's own massive inherent qb problems. Slap the same label on EVERY qb, that requires some real football intelligence. Brilliant!!

Martz realized the same thing about Smith as Turner did which he confirmed during his recent interview. Between JJ stating that he did not believe Martz should've been fired, Isaac Bruce continuing to praise Martz and Martz's recent comments on Smith's obvious shortcomings, seems there are quite a few highly-regarded football guys who share a similar opinion to MINE. Isn't that something!! Amazing how that worked out but what do I know?

What was that about football knowledge --- are you claiming to know better than those guys?? If I've underestimated you and am currently chatting with a superior football genius then, by all means. let me know.

I believe even Meyer referred to his "star" qb as "non-functional" until he learns a system completely and did so before he ever played an NFL game --- but these guys have no idea what they're talking about and you would like us to instead equate Smith to JTO along with every other qb the last 5 yrs, apply the same argument to two totally different qb's and blame the OL for Smith's well-documented shortcomings?? I mean, wow! Your post is a true HOFer. Now give me a big hug, you know you're my biggest fan.

[ Edited by Sabrason on Jun 21, 2009 at 22:07:41 ]

Originally posted by WestCoast:

You know you love me.
GO ALEX
Originally posted by King49er:
I think Hill will start the season, but if he f**ks up, Alex Smith will be in there very quickly

From the fans and medias perspective, it is in Hill's best interest to start the season as the QB cause he earned it. I think Smith could careless about what we think because he is a competitor and obviously wants to be the starting QB. The moment he starts to screw up, the fans will be on him will be clamoring for Hill.

Obviously, we will find out very soon. I think we all know want to know what Hill is capable of as a full time starter. Maybe Smith will not get that chance if Hill pans out and plays well for us.
the real question is, who will be on a shorter leash? Start a scenario where each of them could start, which will be given more leeway in mistakes?
put me down for not sure yet
Share 49ersWebzone