LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 241 users in the forums

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is... Alex or Shaun or JT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex smith he was more upside
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Alex Smith. Don't understand why there is even doubt here. We didn't keep him for a back up. He would have started last year when O' Sulliven was pulled, but he was hurt.
Lets just be honest with ourselves. I like Hill's heart and determinaion buts thats just not enough.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2008/11/13/SP4H14380L.DTL&o=0

Hill is a soldier, but I dont think he's the general we need right now. Even if I'm wrong and they do decide to start Hill week one, he WILL get my full support. In Sing I trust.

Niner fan for Life,
Nabisko
We need a fresh thread for 09 put your money where your mouth is. Someone do it....I hate being reminded of JTO, he needs to be scrubbed from the webzone and forgotten
Originally posted by Youngone:
We need a fresh thread for 09 put your money where your mouth is. Someone do it....I hate being reminded of JTO, he needs to be scrubbed from the webzone and forgotten

Well since your the only one complaining about it, why don't you do it??
Shaun Hill...Please !!!

If A.S starts get ready for a long and exausting season!
Originally posted by plinius9mm:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Anyone who thinks that JT O'Sullivan didn't DESERVE to start last year is, plain and simple, an idiot.

JT was the best QB in the preseason, period. So what if he was only the best because he knew Martz's system. Who was our coordinator? Mike Martz. End of discussion. There is no arguing this.

Yeah i'd agree with this. Smith looked poor to mediocre but in the end, it didn't matter since he injured himself anyway.

Shaun Hill just looked lost.

-9fA

Smith was not healthy,that was plain to see,Hill needed to learn the system,so JT starting was a given.The problem is after the Detroit game the guy was worse than Hill by a wide margin.Martz not seeing his guy was terrible,and Nolan not stepping in to correct things were the problem.I am glad both of those asshats are history.Now at least we have a coach that will pull a guy if he is sucking it up,a coach that will step in and let the OC know he is being a dumbass when he is throwing the ball in the fourth quarter with a lead against Philly and Frank Gore averaging 5.3 ypc in the backfeild.Martz is such an inflexible moron.Not to mention now we have a healthy Smith and Hill to choose from.We are in an infinitely better situation than this time a year ago,even with the unknowns we face going into training camp.

It was the weak OL that was primarily responsible for JTO's problems, not JTO. The OL had/has an infamous history of poor protection so it amazes me that more fans don't even remotely mention that as a contributing factor to JTO going downhill -- its all about how horrible JTO was and what a moron Martz is.

You don't go from efficient gunslinger to fumbling butterfingers for no reason. The OL protection went away as they played better DL's (as you mentioned) and JTO's performance suffered as a result since he was forced to run for his life almost every play. You did watch the games, right?

Unless one claims that JTO's first four games were a complete fluke or, like you, attempt to excuse them away, the deciding factor was clearly the OL play -- where it all begins for an offense, btw.

While all you Martz-haters like to cite the pulling of JTO for your support of MS, it was actually his ripping into the OL (also conveniently ignored but proves my point) b/c of their poor protection of JTO following that "pulling" that was his greatest contribution as Hill proceeded to become the top-rated passer behind the improved OL protection that followed. JTO would've performed far better had he had the kind of OL protection that Hill did the second half of the season. The two go hand in hand.

Thanks for reinforcing my post about how bad Martz is.You say the oline was bad,and there we are in agreement.So if we saw the line was so bad,why didn't Martz adjust?I will tell you why,he is inflexible,arrogant has been that couldn't see the forest for the trees.There is absolutely no defense for not running the ball in the 4th quarter of the Philly game,or for continuing to take seven step drops when the line could not hold that long.As far as the line play improving,they didn't improve so much as the play calling improved.If the line is collapsing on the seven step drops,you start working with the three and five step drops.You are just making excuses that you would jump all over someone else for if the qb's name was Alex Smith.Every single time you post you further prove your lack not only of football knowledge,but plain old common sense.

We could discuss this back and forth forever but the fact that at least one of you nut-riders finally admits that the OL had SOMETHING to do with JTO's downhill spiral is quite an accomplishment alone. I'm amazed! Only took 7 months.

I've never defended Martz not running the ball against Philly or any of his other relatively minor mistakes which are nothing more than isolated examples to attempt to justify your absurd opinion of him. I never said he was perfect.

I have no vested interest in making excuses for JTO or Martz since they were only here for one season and I could care less about them now. Martz is a famed qb guru and chose JTO for good reason. Isaac Bruce continues to praise Martz referring to him as the most brilliant offensive mind in the league which kinda overrides the Martz/JTO hating going in here by the MS-lovers. That's where my overall positive JTO/Martz opinion comes from along with what I saw on the field last season.

As far as my football knowledge is concerned, I know enough to know that it all starts in the trenches with the OL long before the qb can be held accountable. However, the Martz/JTO haters on this site have chosen to ignore the well-known OL problems and instead blame only JTO for all the ills of the world -- it's ridiculous so who's talking to who about football knowledge?????

Its funny how its never Martz or JTO fault

Didn't Hill play with the same oline and offensive cordinator?

Ture, but when hill was put in we had a new HC who changed the way the team played and the way Martz called the plays, but I have no doubt Martz and JTO are at fault.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

You know you love me.

no i think ur in love with JTO
Alex
I guess things could be worse. We could still be having this argument.
lol

remember this year

jto: martz pet

shaun hill: weak arm in martz offense

alex smith: playing when surgury needed on throwing shoulder

worst competition ever

JT O'SULLIVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! he had one good game week two 2008 @ seattle
Sabrason....

...ah, the memories.
Hate to break it to you guys, but our situation hasn't improved much.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Hate to break it to you guys, but our situation hasn't improved much.

Sure it has, alex is still the future.. and We have CK a promising prospect.. thats way better than having JT and Duck hill.
This should be renamed with Alex or Kaep...

Too bad Alex hasn't improved since 3 years ago or 6 years ago.
Share 49ersWebzone