There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
PUT. THE. CRACK. PIPE. DOWN.

Frank Gore's 2013 Rushing Total: 1,128 yards

The rest of the running backs (Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller): 486 yards Combined.

A little deceiving don't you think?

Gore - 1128 yards rushing on 276 attempts (4.09, 9 TDS)
Hunter - 358 yards rushing on 78 attempts (4.59, 3 TDs)
James - 59 yards rushing on 12 attempts (4.92)
Boobie - 56 yards rushing, 28 attempts (2.00, 2 TDs) - short yardage back

Hunter had a real nice bounce-back year from the injury, and if he and Frank shared the load equally in the backfield, I wouldn't doubt they'd have very similar numbers. People rag on James all the time, but he produces when he touches the ball...he just doesn't get enough touches.

Very true, but there is something that needs to be said for the guy who shoulders the load. Frank has proven he can handle 250-300 carries and be consistent about it. I just think back to Barlow when he was a 5 ypc guy sharing the load with Hearst, then he got the full-time gig and plummeted to 3 ypc. Hunter and James very well could be just as effective with increased snaps, but they're not proven like Frank is.

Agreed, but Gore hadn't proven anything yet, other than he was making plays when called upon his rookie year (which wasn't often until the Washington game late in the season). The FEAR of the unknown though compelled a lot of guys on this board to want to stick with Barlow, even though Barlow was horse s**t.

Point being, Gore couldn't have proven he was ready to shoulder the load if he hadn't been given the opportunity. Same with Hunter, James, Lattimore or anyone else we bring in....we won't know what they can/can't do unless given more opportunities. Who knows, maybe Hunter was able to put up Gore-like numbers the whole time AND with his breakaway speed, was able to take some of those long runs that Frank had over the last few years all the way to the house (where Gore now gets caught from behind regularly).

The need to hold on to the familiar is strong, I get it....but of all the positions in the NFL, the RB position is the ONE position that is easiest to replace. So once Frank hangs it up, I don't think we'll see a lot of drop-off in terms of production. The intangibles, though??? No, Frank is/was one of a kind in terms of the leadership abilities, inspirational abilities, knowledge of the game, etc., etc., etc. That stuff will be nearly impossible to replace. The production though, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Bottom line for me....no, it's not time to release Frank. Gore leaves when his contract is over, he deserves that. But, he does need to be ok with guys like Hunter, James and Lattimore seeing more playing time now that his career here is coming to an end.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldn't release him, but I also wouldn't pay him $6.4M this year. I'd get him to restructure that contract to around $3M and let him retire a 49er.

Btw, Bill Walsh would release him in a heartbeat and not think twice of it.

And George would have traded him to the Raiders!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldn't release him, but I also wouldn't pay him $6.4M this year. I'd get him to restructure that contract to around $3M and let him retire a 49er.

Btw, Bill Walsh would release him in a heartbeat and not think twice of it.

And George would have traded him to the Raiders!

So, so true!!!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
PUT. THE. CRACK. PIPE. DOWN.

Frank Gore's 2013 Rushing Total: 1,128 yards

The rest of the running backs (Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller): 486 yards Combined.

A little deceiving don't you think?

Gore - 1128 yards rushing on 276 attempts (4.09, 9 TDS)
Hunter - 358 yards rushing on 78 attempts (4.59, 3 TDs)
James - 59 yards rushing on 12 attempts (4.92)
Boobie - 56 yards rushing, 28 attempts (2.00, 2 TDs) - short yardage back

Hunter had a real nice bounce-back year from the injury, and if he and Frank shared the load equally in the backfield, I wouldn't doubt they'd have very similar numbers. People rag on James all the time, but he produces when he touches the ball...he just doesn't get enough touches.

Very true, but there is something that needs to be said for the guy who shoulders the load. Frank has proven he can handle 250-300 carries and be consistent about it. I just think back to Barlow when he was a 5 ypc guy sharing the load with Hearst, then he got the full-time gig and plummeted to 3 ypc. Hunter and James very well could be just as effective with increased snaps, but they're not proven like Frank is.

Agreed, but Gore hadn't proven anything yet, other than he was making plays when called upon his rookie year (which wasn't often until the Washington game late in the season). The FEAR of the unknown though compelled a lot of guys on this board to want to stick with Barlow, even though Barlow was horse s**t.

Point being, Gore couldn't have proven he was ready to shoulder the load if he hadn't been given the opportunity. Same with Hunter, James, Lattimore or anyone else we bring in....we won't know what they can/can't do unless given more opportunities. Who knows, maybe Hunter was able to put up Gore-like numbers the whole time AND with his breakaway speed, was able to take some of those long runs that Frank had over the last few years all the way to the house (where Gore now gets caught from behind regularly).

The need to hold on to the familiar is strong, I get it....but of all the positions in the NFL, the RB position is the ONE position that is easiest to replace. So once Frank hangs it up, I don't think we'll see a lot of drop-off in terms of production. The intangibles, though??? No, Frank is/was one of a kind in terms of the leadership abilities, inspirational abilities, knowledge of the game, etc., etc., etc. That stuff will be nearly impossible to replace. The production though, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Very good points. I admit, there is a fear of what our run game would be like if Frank went down, or became ineffective. Maybe it would suck, or maybe someone steps up and actually does a better job than him. We won't know until someone else gets the opportunity.

I'm OK with Frank shouldering the load as long as he's effective. I'm not in a rush to replace him. Gore took the job from Barlow because he was clearly better. I'm waiting for one of these young guys to show they are clearly better before I move on from Frank.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
PUT. THE. CRACK. PIPE. DOWN.

Frank Gore's 2013 Rushing Total: 1,128 yards

The rest of the running backs (Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller): 486 yards Combined.

A little deceiving don't you think?

Gore - 1128 yards rushing on 276 attempts (4.09, 9 TDS)
Hunter - 358 yards rushing on 78 attempts (4.59, 3 TDs)
James - 59 yards rushing on 12 attempts (4.92)
Boobie - 56 yards rushing, 28 attempts (2.00, 2 TDs) - short yardage back

Hunter had a real nice bounce-back year from the injury, and if he and Frank shared the load equally in the backfield, I wouldn't doubt they'd have very similar numbers. People rag on James all the time, but he produces when he touches the ball...he just doesn't get enough touches.

Finally someone that actually is thinking with their head. Everyone loves Frank but Father Time is knocking on his door.

Gore Production last season
Games 1-4 avg per 4.78, 2 TD
Games 5-8 avg per 3.85, 5 TD
Games 9-12 avg per 3.5, 1 TD
Games 13-16 avg per 4, 1 TD
Playoffs avg per 3.17 1TD

Outside of a huge run against Seattle week 14 that saved his average, gore's numbers declined in each quarter of this past season. What's more telling is the offenses predictability when Gore is on the field. Gone are the days When gore could takes a run outside of the tackles for a big gain. The passion is still there but he's just getting old.

The mark of any good gm/ organization is being able to tell well it's time to cut ties with a declining player. Baalke drafted Lattimore for this upcoming season. Did he find the steal of the draft or do they need to bring in one in 2015? If Hunter can be productive, and Lattimore can so us he's the real deal then Frank can be let go.

Gore shouldn't be accounting for more than 30-40% of the teams rushing attempts this upcoming season if he stays. He should make more than 2 mil next year.
^^True about Gore v Barlow, but if we gave Hunter anywhere from 15-20 touches a game (combination of runs/passes), I think he'd put up really good numbers too.
"The mark of a good organisation is knowing when it's time to cut ties with a declining player."

It just is not that simple. Research or cast your mind back to Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig.

You have to make sure you have someone at least as good in the wings. Maybe we have. Maybe we haven't. This season should show us. With Craig and Lott, we didn't.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
^^ I'm with this . Frank is the heart and soul of this tteam , you can't disrespect a legend over a couple million bucks. Wehave to be loyal and do things the right way. When our Niners take down #6, Frank needs to be the first guy clutching the Lombardi trophy .

This is about winning number 6. Frank making that much, staying on this team does not make the team better
The f**k??hell naw

/thread
So most people agree his salary his upcoming season should be reduced right?

Pardon me if I'm wrong but when you go to a player to take a pay cut, aren't you telling him he's not the the of player that warrants the money from his original contract anymore? Frank shouldn't be the primary back if he stays.

He's not worth 6.5 mil. If he receives that, then the organization better draft a running back by next year because that's not a good endorsement for Lattimore or Hunter.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
So most people agree his salary his upcoming season should be reduced right?

Pardon me if I'm wrong but when you go to a player to take a pay cut, aren't you telling him he's not the the of player that warrants the money from his original contract anymore? Frank shouldn't be the primary back if he stays.

He's not worth 6.5 mil. If he receives that, then the organization better draft a running back by next year because that's not a good endorsement for Lattimore or Hunter.

Um, no. I don't agree that "most people" agree. Here is a link to a quote from one who doesn't.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/23/5438348/trent-baalke-talked-frank-gore-salary-cap-questions
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
^^ I'm with this . Frank is the heart and soul of this tteam , you can't disrespect a legend over a couple million bucks. Wehave to be loyal and do things the right way. When our Niners take down #6, Frank needs to be the first guy clutching the Lombardi trophy .

This is about winning number 6. Frank making that much, staying on this team does not make the team better

We have a much better chance to win #6 with Gore than without him.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
So most people agree his salary his upcoming season should be reduced right?

Pardon me if I'm wrong but when you go to a player to take a pay cut, aren't you telling him he's not the the of player that warrants the money from his original contract anymore? Frank shouldn't be the primary back if he stays.

He's not worth 6.5 mil. If he receives that, then the organization better draft a running back by next year because that's not a good endorsement for Lattimore or Hunter.
Ridiculous.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
So most people agree his salary his upcoming season should be reduced right?

Pardon me if I'm wrong but when you go to a player to take a pay cut, aren't you telling him he's not the the of player that warrants the money from his original contract anymore? Frank shouldn't be the primary back if he stays.

He's not worth 6.5 mil. If he receives that, then the organization better draft a running back by next year because that's not a good endorsement for Lattimore or Hunter.
Ridiculous.

Considering Trent Baalke doesn't pass on talented running backs even if we can't use them I'd have to say it is ridiculous.

They can ask gore to take a pay cut, but doesn't mean he will. If anyone is taking a pay cut it should be carlos!
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Frank is scheduled to make 6 mil this coming season, granted the FO will ask Frank to take a pay cut but is the 2-4 mil he'll still make worth his dwindling production? Look, I'll forever love Frank. One of the best 49ers of all-time but I feel keeping him on the roster/on the field hinders what our offense can do. His production fell off drastically big time towards the end of the season. hunter looked effective when give the opportunity and Latimore is ready for his chance. Whether he works out or not, the offense has to move on from Frank. Maybe Frank has a little left in the tank but if LT can get cut by the Jets, then the same can be done with Frank. Let's give LatImore and Hunter the chance to be a one-two punch, keep Dixon for short yardage. I'm tired of all of Gore's 1-2 yard runs up the middle every time.

Opinions? Good or bad lets hear em

Buwahahahahahaha!. You obviously don't know about football. Why are you comparing Gore with LT? The jets are a dysfuntional team. Gore's production fell off drastically? What have you been smoking? He still got his yards (1100+) , still averaged more than 4+ yards a carry in fact he had a 51 yard gallop, not to mention 1 more TD than the previous year. Not to mention he is a great blocking back. Look I like that Latimore is there and has potential, but until he proves himself, you saying you want us to possibly throw away the 2014 season. Quote -Whether he works out or not...until Lattimore shows he can be it, you don't just act reckless. If Marcus proves he is real, when Gore's contract expires, that is when it'll be thank you Gore. As for his run's, could it be better? Yes, but that is on the game plan, or the coaches.Keep Dixon over Gore-nuts!