LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 120 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Everyone seems to be forgetting the NFC Championship game. If Gore had better production, we would have won the game. Instead, our rushing attack was non-existent, and Hunter with 3 carries out-gained Gore. We have the best run-blocking line in the NFL. Our lead RB should be far better than the average of 4.0 ypc. As it stands now, the line is carrying Gore.

Now as for the unknown, neither Hunter nor LMJ are unknown. They have both shown that they are capable of moving the chains. Lattimore is an unknown, but even if he doesn't pan out, there is still Hunter and LMJ. If Gore is on the team, Lattimore won't even be suiting up for games. We have plenty of RB talent on the game. The team would be better off cutting him and letting the youngsters have the carries. It will help their development, plus they will do a better job moving the chains.
I would release him or ask him to take a big paycut.
[ Edited by Method on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
Everyone seems to be forgetting the NFC Championship game. If Gore had better production, we would have won the game. Instead, our rushing attack was non-existent, and Hunter with 3 carries out-gained Gore. We have the best run-blocking line in the NFL. Our lead RB should be far better than the average of 4.0 ypc. As it stands now, the line is carrying Gore.

Now as for the unknown, neither Hunter nor LMJ are unknown. They have both shown that they are capable of moving the chains. Lattimore is an unknown, but even if he doesn't pan out, there is still Hunter and LMJ. If Gore is on the team, Lattimore won't even be suiting up for games. We have plenty of RB talent on the game. The team would be better off cutting him and letting the youngsters have the carries. It will help their development, plus they will do a better job moving the chains.

Definitely agree with you about last years championship game. Gore is just not fast enough for teams with a good defense, no break away speed I don't even remember his last run to the house. But I don't believe NINERS should release him this year because they don't really need to. I love the way the man can see holes that are not even there, thats why he is still servicable. If it came down to it, I think Gore is the hback the Niners would have to release. He's making a lot of money with too much potential behind him, never a good very good spot for an older back. I think Gore has one more year in the tank... IF Lattimore does not show that he should be competing for a starting spot by week 10, behind one of the best lines in football, I will be very disappointed. I think he's gonna show us what we've been missing from the backfield lately.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Pay cut and become mostly a third down back. He is still great at pass blocking and blitz pick up. Father time caught up with him mid season last year, he still has a quick burst and field vision, but he easily gets run down from behind when he breaks into the secondary. He can still be a very useful situational player, but has too many miles on him to be an every down back. His YPC fell to 3.77 the last half of the season and play-offs last season, that is just father time catching up with Frank, plain and simple.
Originally posted by Method:

I think both would send a horrible message to the locker room. The guy has earned his contract. and his is beyond great in pass pro. I think it would be wise to approach him with a 1-1.5mill pay cu, but if if they were to push him and sh*t goes sour, it would make the organization look bad... mostly to the players IMO
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Runs for over a thousand yards....

"Dude has lost it"
  • buck
  • Veteran

If Gore had better production, we would have won the game.

I tend to think the loss is on the team. I hope your are not putting the loss on Gore.

If Gore is on the team, Lattimore won't even be suiting up for games.

Barring catastrophic events, Gore will be on the team and Lattimore will not only suiting up but also playing.

Now as for the unknown, neither Hunter nor LMJ are unknown. They have both shown that they are capable of moving the chains.

James played 30 snaps last year. He had 2 receptions for 16 yards. He rushed 12 times for 59 yards.
I think he is still somewhat unknown--at best.

edit:

Stats are from PFF. By the way, PFF had Dixon rated higher than James in both the running and passing game.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

1. Seattle has one of if not the best D-Line in the game
2. The O-Line definitely did not play well. After Lupati went down they coudnt get a push. Most of the time Gore was tackled right at the line of scrimmage.
3. Also it definitely didnt help that a 30 year old Gore had to be the workhorse all year long with a nonexistent pass offense.

How will it help their development ?
It would be cool to see more of Hunter i give you that. But i dont see how it will help Lattimores development. Also unless James shows significant improvement in his pass blocking he wont play. Simple as that.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Why should he take a paycut when there is no need to ?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:

Gore might volunteer to take a pay, if he felt it would help the team keep a player that would improve the chances of us winning a Super Bowl.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by DeUh:

Gore might volunteer to take a pay, if he felt it would help the team keep a player that would improve the chances of us winning a Super Bowl.

This.
Serious?
Gore loses speed during the second half of each year. He is now, and always will be one of the greatest 49ers of all time...however - from a business perspective, it is better to cut bait 1 year early rather than 1 year late.

Factors for cutting:
1. Money
2. Age
3. Effectiveness during the later parts of the season.

Factors against cutting:
1. Sentimentality
2. Locker room morale
3. Disruption of cohesion

You're also forgetting that they were playing the league's best defense and, if you watch the film, you'll see the lack of rushing success is due to the playcalling and lack of space. How is Gore or any running back expected to gain yardage on runs inbetween the tackles when there are 8-10 in the box and defenders already blanketing him by the time the handoff is made?

Come on now.
Share 49ersWebzone