There are 174 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Originally posted by mutant-man49:
This is about winning number 6. Frank making that much, staying on this team does not make the team better

You don't know that-leadership is something you can't put a stat on, neither is blocking. You said that the offense is predictable when he is in there, that is because of the system-they should use him more as an check off or screen, maybe even down the seem after VD causes it to be vacated.
This Q has come out several off seasons in a row and completely pisses me off. Gore is a top 10 RB, best pass blocking back by far in the NFL, not to mention he will be the perfect mentor for Marcus Lattimore. He put up over 1100 yards last year, stayed healthy and was a huge piece of the offense/team. He's a locker room leader, the 49ers greatest RB of all time.

Aside from all that, the cap just went up enough that we don't need to worry about his contract, Baalke has already said that. If anything, I think we should try and extend him 1 more year and maybe that way get another million or so off this years books.

I love the off season for several reasons, the Draft, FA etc but this is one of the reasons I mostly despise it.
Here is some predictability...

Dixon-No speed, will most likely be a run up the middle
LMJ-No power, suspect blocking, will most likely not be up the middle and will not stay in to block routinely
Hunter-Solid speed and power, can do a lot but is very hit and miss (closest to Gore but doesn't have the vision)
Latt-?

Aside from a lack of top end speed, nobody has the overall edge on him. He can go inside and outside, he can block, has superior vision, is a team leader, can catch when thrown to, and can read the field and help Kap pre snap. Yes the burst is gone and yes he tires a bit once we get into the playoffs. But he can take a full load during a season and can still rip off a long run. Plus he's run over Seattle before. To win back the west and not play in Sea means we need to beat them.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Here is some predictability...

Dixon-No speed, will most likely be a run up the middle
LMJ-No power, suspect blocking, will most likely not be up the middle and will not stay in to block routinely
Hunter-Solid speed and power, can do a lot but is very hit and miss (closest to Gore but doesn't have the vision)
Latt-?

Aside from a lack of top end speed, nobody has the overall edge on him. He can go inside and outside, he can block, has superior vision, is a team leader, can catch when thrown to, and can read the field and help Kap pre snap. Yes the burst is gone and yes he tires a bit once we get into the playoffs. But he can take a full load during a season and can still rip off a long run. Plus he's run over Seattle before. To win back the west and not play in Sea means we need to beat them.

Praying that Harbaugh wasn't playing when he talked about Lattimore and we cut out riding Gore to death during the reg season and give Lattimore/Hunter/LMJ some serious PT this year keeping Gore fresh for the playoffs.
Gore will be good forever, best pass blocking back in the league, over 1k last year, amazing vision

and every other thing fans say about an aging rb incapable of taking over a game anymore or even being a factor late in the season :D
Originally posted by matt49er:
This Q has come out several off seasons in a row and completely pisses me off. Gore is a top 10 RB, best pass blocking back by far in the NFL, not to mention he will be the perfect mentor for Marcus Lattimore. He put up over 1100 yards last year, stayed healthy and was a huge piece of the offense/team. He's a locker room leader, the 49ers greatest RB of all time.

Aside from all that, the cap just went up enough that we don't need to worry about his contract, Baalke has already said that. If anything, I think we should try and extend him 1 more year and maybe that way get another million or so off this years books.

I love the off season for several reasons, the Draft, FA etc but this is one of the reasons I mostly despise it.

Agree with the bolded. Every off season, its either cut Gore or trade Gore. WTF? The guy is the heart and soul of our team. The fact he can still walk after the Sing years is amazing. Does anyone realize what it would do to locker room morale if Frank was cut? He pounds the ball between our huge OL week after week, takes on sprinting LBs to save Kaeps life, doesnt do anything stupid in public, and people want to get rid of him? Every year?

Sure he isnt a spring chicken, but the man gets the job done, let him get his ring and retire like Bettis did, would be a fitting send off before the new guys step up. Cut his carries early in the season, keep him fresh for the playoff push and the playoffs, then the SB. Frank with fresh legs late in the season would be deadly, I hope thats what the coaching staff is thinking.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

There is no way Gore wil be released.
Is Gore still able to be the workhorse for a full season who knows, probably not.
Will a combination of Gore / Lattimore be vicious ? If healthy, yes !
Also we are in good shape with our cap so there is absolutely no reason.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's perfect the way it's playing out. He has a year left on his contract so he'll play this year than hang them up. Lattimore will have a year to prep to become the feature back in '15.
Baalke said it's not necessary to restructure Gore's contract...so why would you say the FO will ask him to do so. If anyone's earned his money it's Frank Gore. He's been the heart & soul of this team since day one. As for releasing him...that's not in the equation, either. Lattimore shows great promise, but hasn't proven anything yet. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face...Gore stays, Lattimore learns from a great pro. Ask this question next year.
If the Niners where going to be 4-12 (predicted) when Erickson, Singletary was coaching, then I would say release Frank, save the 6 million and move on. However i think the Niners are once again poised to go deep in the play offs, that is why I think Gore and iupati should play out their contracts. Why would you get rid of starters that are pro bowl quality when they are under contract for another year.

The only answer would be is you are rebuilding, and the niners are not rebuilding, they are winning.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
I envision Frank playing just fine this season, with Lattimore/Hunter/LMJ taking a good 100+ carries off his load by the end of the year.
Next offseason, he signs a modest 1-2 year retirement package deal. Lattimore (assuming all goes well) takes over in 2015, we win back to back Super Bowls, Frank gets to retire right at Levi Stadium.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke said it's not necessary to restructure Gore's contract...so why would you say the FO will ask him to do so. If anyone's earned his money it's Frank Gore. He's been the heart & soul of this team since day one. As for releasing him...that's not in the equation, either. Lattimore shows great promise, but hasn't proven anything yet. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face...Gore stays, Lattimore learns from a great pro. Ask this question next year.

Originally posted by 9erred:
If the Niners where going to be 4-12 (predicted) when Erickson, Singletary was coaching, then I would say release Frank, save the 6 million and move on. However i think the Niners are once again poised to go deep in the play offs, that is why I think Gore and iupati should play out their contracts. Why would you get rid of starters that are pro bowl quality when they are under contract for another year.

The only answer would be is you are rebuilding, and the niners are not rebuilding, they are winning.

Good points.
Frank Gore is still a top 10 all around back in this league...and that is not debateable. He is older and clearly not what he once was (which was great) but he is a HOF RB that is on the tail end of his career with an enormous amount to offer the young runners on the team. He is the most respected man in the locker room (possibly the NFL) and that is something you do not find on a random playing field or workout facility. Gore stays until Gore is ready to hang it up...end of story.
Never release or cut Frankie G. He hangs up his cleats when he wants too, after we win a Super Bowl. Hopefully we win SB 49, that'd just be a story for the ages, the media would eat that up during Super Bowl week and especially on media day. Hopefully Harbaugh takes the ball and chain off Kaep and the passing game, and we move toward a more balanced pass/run ratio. Spell Frank with a few more passing attempts per game.
Is Gore going to be worth his salary based only on likely pure running stats (yards per carry, yards per game, etc.)? I think probably not. Is Gore going to be worth his salary based on other facets of his game like blocking? Closer but still I think probably not. Are less tangible aspects of Gore's game - like leadership and inspiration - enough to make his contribution worth his salary? I think that's tough, but maybe not. Do I think it's a mistake to keep him on the team and pay that salary? Nope, I don't think it's a mistake. Does that make sense? Probably not.
Share 49ersWebzone