Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know it's a bit silly to post about practice squads, but looking at some of the young players we've drafted or signed and have been developing, I can't help but think that this PS is going to be really talented and could produce several starters down the line. Here's my guess at the top 8
- BJ Daniels (QB/TE/WR/RB/PR/KR/ AKA Michael Robinson II) - This guy won't make the team, and likely won't play a down as a QB...but then again, who am I to question Harbaugh's QB valuations. But that's a different post for a different day. He brings 2 things: (a) versatility and the ability to fill in across multiple positions in a few years and (b) the ability to emulate Russel Wilson in practice. It was rumored that Seattle had interest due to his similarity to RW.
- Ricardo Lockett (WR) - Fan favorite due to a recent mention by Harbaugh. He's 6'2'' and runs a 4.34 40. Lots of talent, not much experience. Could push for time soon, and who knows, if he develops well, and shows a knack for fielding punts, that might happen as early as this year.
- Jewel Hampton (RB) - Super talented, but has durability issues. Was on the active roster last year, and will compete with Dixon for the final spot this year. Given the size Dixon brings, it's likely Hampton will be back on the PS.
- Luke Marquardt (OT) - Extremely talented OT that could play LT once he develops. Size and athleticism. Dominated the lower level of competition.
- Lawrence Okoye (DE/DT?) - Right now he's just a freak athlete. What he will be in a few years we shall see. One of the more intriguing prospects we've seen.
- Darryl Morris (CB/Gunner) - My new favorite player. For more on him, check out the thread I started titled "Darryl Morris."
- Trenton Robinson (S) - Drafted last year. Plays a key position and will be kept for when Dahl and Whitner move on next year. Looses out to Spillman IMO.
- Nick Moody (ST) He will be a major special teams contributor. While Skuta is here, Moody can wait on the PS squad. Could also make the team.
- Al Netter (I think he'll make the team)
- Carter Bykowski
- Tony Jerod-Eddie
- Will Takuafu (again, there's a chance he'll make the team)
- Darius Flemming (likely to make the team)
- Cam Johnson
- Michael Wilhoite
- Marcus Cooper
Yes, anyone on this site is a NINER JUNKIE FOR SURE.
Great analysis. I knew the 49ers were going to sign Okoye, I just thought they would draft him. I hope the guy makes the practice squad. He knew who Jim Tomsula was and was talking about him that he has a history of developing guys in NFL Europe that had no nfl experience. He could be a real find.
BJ Daniels is going to run a lot of scout team for Russell Wilson. Great option for the practice squad.
We are going to have some shocking cuts this year.