There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This practice squad is going to be incredible! (does this post make me a niner addict?)

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know it's a bit silly to post about practice squads, but looking at some of the young players we've drafted or signed and have been developing, I can't help but think that this PS is going to be really talented and could produce several starters down the line. Here's my guess at the top 8

1. BJ Daniels (QB/TE/WR/RB/PR/KR/ AKA Michael Robinson II) - This guy won't make the team, and likely won't play a down as a QB...but then again, who am I to question Harbaugh's QB valuations. But that's a different post for a different day. He brings 2 things: (a) versatility and the ability to fill in across multiple positions in a few years and (b) the ability to emulate Russel Wilson in practice. It was rumored that Seattle had interest due to his similarity to RW.
  2. Ricardo Lockett (WR) - Fan favorite due to a recent mention by Harbaugh. He's 6'2'' and runs a 4.34 40. Lots of talent, not much experience. Could push for time soon, and who knows, if he develops well, and shows a knack for fielding punts, that might happen as early as this year.
  3. Jewel Hampton (RB) - Super talented, but has durability issues. Was on the active roster last year, and will compete with Dixon for the final spot this year. Given the size Dixon brings, it's likely Hampton will be back on the PS.
  4. Luke Marquardt (OT) - Extremely talented OT that could play LT once he develops. Size and athleticism. Dominated the lower level of competition.
  5. Lawrence Okoye (DE/DT?) - Right now he's just a freak athlete. What he will be in a few years we shall see. One of the more intriguing prospects we've seen.
  6. Darryl Morris (CB/Gunner) - My new favorite player. For more on him, check out the thread I started titled "Darryl Morris."
  7. Trenton Robinson (S) - Drafted last year. Plays a key position and will be kept for when Dahl and Whitner move on next year. Looses out to Spillman IMO.
  8. Nick Moody (ST) He will be a major special teams contributor. While Skuta is here, Moody can wait on the PS squad. Could also make the team.
other possibilities:
  • Al Netter (I think he'll make the team)
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Will Takuafu (again, there's a chance he'll make the team)
  • Darius Flemming (likely to make the team)
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite
  • Marcus Cooper

Nice Post!!

Yes, anyone on this site is a NINER JUNKIE FOR SURE.

Great analysis. I knew the 49ers were going to sign Okoye, I just thought they would draft him. I hope the guy makes the practice squad. He knew who Jim Tomsula was and was talking about him that he has a history of developing guys in NFL Europe that had no nfl experience. He could be a real find.

BJ Daniels is going to run a lot of scout team for Russell Wilson. Great option for the practice squad.

We are going to have some shocking cuts this year.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know it's a bit silly to post about practice squads, but looking at some of the young players we've drafted or signed and have been developing, I can't help but think that this PS is going to be really talented and could produce several starters down the line. Here's my guess at the top 8

1. BJ Daniels (QB/TE/WR/RB/PR/KR/ AKA Michael Robinson II) - This guy won't make the team, and likely won't play a down as a QB...but then again, who am I to question Harbaugh's QB valuations. But that's a different post for a different day. He brings 2 things: (a) versatility and the ability to fill in across multiple positions in a few years and (b) the ability to emulate Russel Wilson in practice. It was rumored that Seattle had interest due to his similarity to RW.
  2. Ricardo Lockett (WR) - Fan favorite due to a recent mention by Harbaugh. He's 6'2'' and runs a 4.34 40. Lots of talent, not much experience. Could push for time soon, and who knows, if he develops well, and shows a knack for fielding punts, that might happen as early as this year.
  3. Jewel Hampton (RB) - Super talented, but has durability issues. Was on the active roster last year, and will compete with Dixon for the final spot this year. Given the size Dixon brings, it's likely Hampton will be back on the PS.
  4. Luke Marquardt (OT) - Extremely talented OT that could play LT once he develops. Size and athleticism. Dominated the lower level of competition.
  5. Lawrence Okoye (DE/DT?) - Right now he's just a freak athlete. What he will be in a few years we shall see. One of the more intriguing prospects we've seen.
  6. Darryl Morris (CB/Gunner) - My new favorite player. For more on him, check out the thread I started titled "Darryl Morris."
  7. Trenton Robinson (S) - Drafted last year. Plays a key position and will be kept for when Dahl and Whitner move on next year. Looses out to Spillman IMO.
  8. Nick Moody (ST) He will be a major special teams contributor. While Skuta is here, Moody can wait on the PS squad. Could also make the team.
other possibilities:
  • Al Netter (I think he'll make the team)
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Will Takuafu (again, there's a chance he'll make the team)
  • Darius Flemming (likely to make the team)
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite
  • Marcus Cooper

Nice Post!!

Yes, anyone on this site is a NINER JUNKIE FOR SURE.

Great analysis. I knew the 49ers were going to sign Okoye, I just thought they would draft him. I hope the guy makes the practice squad. He knew who Jim Tomsula was and was talking about him that he has a history of developing guys in NFL Europe that had no nfl experience. He could be a real find.

BJ Daniels is going to run a lot of scout team for Russell Wilson. Great option for the practice squad.

We are going to have some shocking cuts this year.
in order to keep some of these guys , we cant expose their talents too much in pre-season , other teams will raid our practice squad once they see their potential on the field , talent evaluation should be based on production in practice, but damn I cant wait for pre-season
Trust me, our practice squad is gonna get raided.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok, I'll ask it because I'm curious and don't mind being ridiculed.

What does a practice squad do? What are they allowed to do, and not allowed? What does their day look like during the season? Do they get paid any money, or do they need a day job?

I am asking because I hear all the time about "the practice squad" yet know very little about what it actually is, or what it does.

If there is a link somewhere that explains it, just point me to it thanks.

Let the guffaws begin.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+an+NFL+Practice+squad+do
What happened to this guy? Did we not sign him? Also, looks like there is another addition as well.

D.J. Harper (RB/ST) - runs out of the Q and replaces Hampton; similar style to Hunter.
LOL

Robinson will be competing for a starting safety spot. He isn't a PS type of player. He contributed more than any of our other 2012 rookies except for LMJ.

Personally, I'd like to see Robinson start at FS with Reid at SS.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Trust me, our practice squad is gonna get raided.

Unlikely. While these guys are talented, few, if any, are ready to play, and teams can only afford so many people on the 53 that aren't yet ready to play. Depending on how he does in pre-season, Lockette is the most likely candidate to get signed away.
Originally posted by blm7754:
LOL

Robinson will be competing for a starting safety spot. He isn't a PS type of player. He contributed more than any of our other 2012 rookies except for LMJ.

he suited up for 3 games and made no tackles. Unless Reid completely sucks ass the starters will be Reid and Whitner
LOL

I just couldn't see room for him with Dahl and Spillman as the more likely back-ups, and Reid+Whitner as the starters. Plus, did I miss something? What was his contribution last year? I'm not sure he played at all...
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on May 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
No, all players need to pass waivers, so Okoye, Marquardt, etc... are subject to waivers.

I already put Okoye in my official 53 projection, but I'll say it again right here. No way they expose him to waivers.

If the team was so worried about someone else having Okoye, they would have used a draft pick on him. The only way I see Okoye getting picked up by another team is if he looks great in preseason.

Honestly, I think Okoye will look like a fool in preseason. Football is a very technical sport (especially the DL positions).
Originally posted by valrod33:
LOL

he suited up for 3 games and made no tackles. Unless Reid completely sucks ass the starters will be Reid and Whitner

To each his own.

I like the skill-set that Robinson brings to the table. Safety is our least talented position group. If Robinson can't earn a roster spot, then he probably isn't worth trying to keep on the PS.
Originally posted by valrod33:
LOL

To each his own.

I like the skill-set that Robinson brings to the table. Safety is our least talented position group. If Robinson can't earn a roster spot, then he probably isn't worth trying to keep on the PS.

The safety position is fairly packed. Whitner is still a very good SS, and extremely important on that defense, for now, because he's the one calling the plays. People overlooks that contribution, but until Reid is able to fully learn the playbook and NFL, Whitner will hold that responsibility. Those 2 are not going anywhere. Dahl is the only back-up with significant starting experience, and is also able to call defenses if he's needed to step in. He's not going anywhere. He's a very valuable backup. Spillman is one of the top special teams players in the league. We'd be taking a step backwards in that department w/o him. He stays. I can't see us keeping 5 safeties.
Won't Okoye have to clear waivers if we let him go to be signed to our practice squad? With his measurables, I'm sure a few teams may look his way.
i think Hampton makes the team and Dixon gets cut.