There are 148 users in the forums

This practice squad is going to be incredible! (does this post make me a niner addict?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know it's a bit silly to post about practice squads, but looking at some of the young players we've drafted or signed and have been developing, I can't help but think that this PS is going to be really talented and could produce several starters down the line. Here's my guess at the top 8

1. BJ Daniels (QB/TE/WR/RB/PR/KR/ AKA Michael Robinson II) - This guy won't make the team, and likely won't play a down as a QB...but then again, who am I to question Harbaugh's QB valuations. But that's a different post for a different day. He brings 2 things: (a) versatility and the ability to fill in across multiple positions in a few years and (b) the ability to emulate Russel Wilson in practice. It was rumored that Seattle had interest due to his similarity to RW.
  2. Ricardo Lockett (WR) - Fan favorite due to a recent mention by Harbaugh. He's 6'2'' and runs a 4.34 40. Lots of talent, not much experience. Could push for time soon, and who knows, if he develops well, and shows a knack for fielding punts, that might happen as early as this year.
  3. Jewel Hampton (RB) - Super talented, but has durability issues. Was on the active roster last year, and will compete with Dixon for the final spot this year. Given the size Dixon brings, it's likely Hampton will be back on the PS.
  4. Luke Marquardt (OT) - Extremely talented OT that could play LT once he develops. Size and athleticism. Dominated the lower level of competition.
  5. Lawrence Okoye (DE/DT?) - Right now he's just a freak athlete. What he will be in a few years we shall see. One of the more intriguing prospects we've seen.
  6. Darryl Morris (CB/Gunner) - My new favorite player. For more on him, check out the thread I started titled "Darryl Morris."
  7. Trenton Robinson (S) - Drafted last year. Plays a key position and will be kept for when Dahl and Whitner move on next year. Looses out to Spillman IMO.
  8. Nick Moody (ST) He will be a major special teams contributor. While Skuta is here, Moody can wait on the PS squad. Could also make the team.

other possibilities:
  • Al Netter (I think he'll make the team)
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Will Takuafu (again, there's a chance he'll make the team)
  • Darius Flemming (likely to make the team)
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite
  • Marcus Cooper
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on May 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know it's a bit silly to post about practice squads, but looking at some of the young players we've drafted or signed and have been developing, I can't help but think that this PS is going to be really talented and could produce several starters down the line. Here's my guess at the top 8

1. BJ Daniels (QB/TE/WR/RB/PR/KR/ AKA Michael Robinson II) - This guy won't make the team, and likely won't play a down as a QB...but then again, who am I to question Harbaugh's QB valuations. But that's a different post for a different day. He brings 2 things: (a) versatility and the ability to fill in across multiple positions in a few years and (b) the ability to emulate Russel Wilson in practice. It was rumored that Seattle had interest due to his similarity to RW.
  2. Ricardo Lockett (WR) - Fan favorite due to a recent mention by Harbaugh. He's 6'2'' and runs a 4.34 40. Lots of talent, not much experience. Could push for time soon, and who knows, if he develops well, and shows a knack for fielding punts, that might happen as early as this year.
  3. Jewel Hampton (RB) - Super talented, but has durability issues. Was on the active roster last year, and will compete with Dixon for the final spot this year. Given the size Dixon brings, it's likely Hampton will be back on the PS.
  4. Luke Marquardt (OT) - Extremely talented OT that could play LT once he develops. Size and athleticism. Dominated the lower level of competition.
  5. Marcus Cooper (CB) - Brings size to the position. I think being a 6'2'' CB gets him a spot on the PS.
  6. Darryl Morris (CB/Gunner) - My new favorite player. For more on him, check out the thread I started titled "Darryl Morris."
  7. Trenton Robinson (S) - Drafted last year. Plays a key position and will be kept for when Dahl and Whitner move on next year. Looses out to Spillman IMO.
  8. Nick Moody (ST) He will be a major special teams contributor. While Skuta is here, Moody can wait on the PS squad. Could also make the team.
other possibilities:
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite

I'm down with that practice squad.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

5. Marcus Cooper (CB) - Brings size to the position. I think being a 6'2'' CB gets him a spot on the PS.
other possibilities:
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite

Could be better than the top 8 active niner players on the 2005 team
Ok, I'll ask it because I'm curious and don't mind being ridiculed.

What does a practice squad do? What are they allowed to do, and not allowed? What does their day look like during the season? Do they get paid any money, or do they need a day job?

I am asking because I hear all the time about "the practice squad" yet know very little about what it actually is, or what it does.

If there is a link somewhere that explains it, just point me to it thanks.

Let the guffaws begin.
Scary thing is, that's not far from the full truth.
I would also add MarQueis Gray to the list of strong possibilities for the PS. Versatile players who can mimic many different positions are very useful attributes on the practice squad. Also would add Lawrence Okoye and Michael Thomas (last year PS who is very versatile) to your list.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ok, I'll ask it because I'm curious and don't mind being ridiculed.

What does a practice squad do? What are they allowed to do, and not allowed? What does their day look like during the season? Do they get paid any money, or do they need a day job?

I am asking because I hear all the time about "the practice squad" yet know very little about what it actually is, or what it does.

If there is a link somewhere that explains it, just point me to it thanks.

Let the guffaws begin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

other possibilities:
  • Carter Bykowski
  • Tony Jerod-Eddie
  • Cam Johnson
  • Michael Wilhoite

Hey now, Frank Gore was on that 05 team! Might be better than the 04 team though!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I would also add MarQueis Gray to the list of strong possibilities for the PS. Versatile players who can mimic many different positions are very useful attributes on the practice squad. Also would add Lawrence Okoye and Michael Thomas (last year PS who is very versatile) to your list.

oh wow! How did I forget Okoye?!?! He was the reason I started writing this
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

ok, fixed. you're probably right about MarQueis as well. I can't see how there's room for him AND Daniels though. We'll see how it turns out.

Moody, Robinson, and Daniels will probably be on the 53 man roster. Lockette, too, depending on if Manningham starts the year on PUP.

1. Lawrence Okoye - DE/DT
2. Luke Marquardt/Carter Bykowski - OT
3. Jewel Hampton/D.J. Harper - RB
4. Marcus Cooper - CB
5. MarQueis Gray - QB/RB/WR/TE
6. Sherman Carter/Patrick Omameh - OL
7. Michael Thomas - S
8. Cam Johnson/Darius Fleming - OLB

Thats my list ...

- This is assuming the top 4 make the 53 man roster and Manningham is on PUP

- I think at least one of Cam or Fleming will be on the squad. Whether they're both cut, or one makes the 53 man roster. I think Cam would be the more likely to bolt, seeing as he supposedly got offers to join other team's roster last year.
Great post...have a feeling the following (edits) will be on the 53 man roster this year though. But I haven't made my roster projection yet so we'll see.

Ricardo Lockett (WR) - he'll be the primary backup to both Crabtree and Boldin (like-players)
Luke Marquardt (OT) - we need a swing T on the 53 this year in case Staley/Davis go down
Darryl Morris (CB/ST) - we want ST players (gunner) this year and he makes it as a slot CB (long shot though)
Trenton Robinson (S) - is he even eligible? He'll either be cut or be backing up the S position again.
Nick Moody (ILB/ST) - again, mostly or ST's but also backing up Willis/Bowman for Grant

Jewel Hampton (RB) - a likely cut IMHO esp.
D.J. Harper (RB/ST) - runs out of the Q and replaces Hampton; similar style to Hunter.
I think lockette and marquardt have good shots at making the 53 man roster this year.. Marquardt really reminds me of a young Alex Boone
It is gonna be very hard just for guys to make the practice squad this year. Yes will have some very good guys on there.
The 2013 San Francisco 49ers: Our practice squad could beat yours!

Does Lockette have any eligibility left on the PS?
Share 49ersWebzone