LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Nnamdi Asomugha was a 49er

Originally posted by theduke85:
I realize Winfield is 4 years old, but his production has been phenomenal...
I hate to say this, but I think Seattle outplayed us on this one. Their eye for evaluating talent seems to be absolutely fantastic -- perhaps even surpassing ours.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Sorry if this has been discussed already... I hate these mega-threads that the Webzone has.

I agree, for a 4 year old, his play has been outsanding. LOL. Just play'n.

It really depends on the types of schemes played...like Baalke says, how they fit into our system. There is no doubt in my mind, Baalke wants MUCH more physical play at the CB position. We got bullied and beat up all playoffs at the LOS and esp in the jump ball circumstances. We lost all but one of these battles. But we don't have Sherman & Browner. We have a short Rogers and Brown...two small, technique CB's.

If Nnamdi wins the battle over Rogers we may see a Nnamdi & Culliver at the CB position playing MUCH more physical in press this year. Then we can have our "Winfield" play the slot with Brown or Rogers. Winfield will not play on the outside. Where is he going to play? When? How much? Who would you rather have? Winfield in the slot or Brown/Rogers?

So, if it plays out like it should, we get a VERY motivated full time CB that fits our scheme better while Winfield enjoys the ride on the bench while watching Sherman and Browner play full time snaps.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree, for a 4 year old, his play has been outsanding. LOL. Just play'n.

It really depends on the types of schemes played...like Baalke says, how they fit into our system. There is no doubt in my mind, Baalke wants MUCH more physical play at the CB position. We got bullied and beat up all playoffs at the LOS and esp in the jump ball circumstances. We lost all but one of these battles. But we don't have Sherman & Browner. We have a short Rogers and Brown...two small, technique CB's.

If Nnamdi wins the battle over Rogers we may see a Nnamdi & Culliver at the CB position playing MUCH more physical in press this year. Then we can have our "Winfield" play the slot with Brown or Rogers. Winfield will not play on the outside. Where is he going to play? When? How much? Who would you rather have? Winfield in the slot or Brown/Rogers?

So, if it plays out like it should, we get a VERY motivated full time CB that fits our scheme better while Winfield enjoys the ride on the bench while watching Sherman and Browner play full time snaps.

Okay my two pennies is that Nnamdi will return to a similar form. That to which he sum passed in Oak..
And with Justin and A. Smith back in the picture with the aid of fine doctorate care in
Today's cutting edge surgery.. Will we get the 8 int guy, or some percentage of the shutdown "you can't throw where
You want to throw" type of guy.. Time will tell.
as many have pointed out he could pull a C. Woodson and actually incline his productivity..
OR he may have turned irreparably narcissistic after the pay day in Philly and give up big plays as the season wears on
Likelihood, is that, we will see elements of just about all of the above, in him this coming year.. Flashes of deterioration
Coupled with rejuvenation, and flashes of his veteran brilliance. 'Coach like brilliance'..
I say, Nnamdi plays about 14 regular season games, with one missed by an injury; and the other, due to clinched PO pos.
Predictions: 37tkls, 1.5 TFL, sack, 1FF, 1FR-0y ret; : 12PD, 4int (long ret of 20+ yds)
I predict he'll occasionally give up a 20 to 30+ yd play, when in zone. Otherwise he'll
be a shutdown guy. He should still give up 2-5 TDs as well.
2nd Team all pro?
Congrats to Mr. & Mrs. Kerry Washington
nnamdis new wife is hot as f**k
Very interesting post In this article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692636-san-francisco-49ers-will-nnamdi-asomugha-help-improve-secondary about Nnamdi going up against Megatron last season:

"Asomugha had a "perfect game" going for 3 1/2 qtrs of Week 6, 2012 man-to-man coverage against the eventual #1 NFL WR in 2012, Calvin Johnson: 7 targets, 1 completion, 28 yds, 0 TD, 2 false starts and a first-half interception by Nnamdi in the endzone. Most telling of Asomugha's *total dominance* of Johnson was Detroit's apparent halftime-adjustment in targeting Megatron far less -- indeed *just once*(!) in the 3rd quarter (incomplete) -- reminiscent (no?) of a certain All-Pro *shutdown* CB at Oakland against whom opponents would simply give-up trying to attack. Philadelphia shutout Detroit in the 3rd while increasing its lead and added a FG in the 4th to lead by 10 lead with 5:18 remaining. Megatron was a total ZILCH in the game vs Asomugha man-to-man up to that point, when Philly DC Juan Castillo had a brainstorm to "change up" vs Megatron, interfere with the ongoing defensive "Mona Lisa" (athletic Philistine!) and call for ZONE.

With Calvin Johnson then "freed" of man-cover by Asomugha...: 6 targets, 5 receptions, 107 yards, 0 TD (one called back for Off PI) in just 5 minutes plus OT

Final result in OT: Philly loses 26-23.

DC Juan Castillo fired two days later. Same day, Philly pro-active press "sets up" Nnamdi Asomugha with leading questions critical of the defensive play-calling, his quiet, constructive-intent, minimalist 'answers' to which (two "um...yeah" responses) were exploded into "…To openly question a coach's tactical decisions like that will not go unnoticed by the organizational hierarchy." [ http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-16/sports/34473637_1_nnamdi-asomugha-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-defensive-scheme ;] Andy Reid fired after week 17. Asomugha released two months later.

What a clueless, manipulative mess was Philadelphia coaching, press and management.

Certainly there was nothing "diminished" in Nnamdi Asomugha's abilities during his Week 6 man-to-man match vs Calvin Johnson. Could there be a tougher test? His achievement was near perfect for the time in man-to-man! Per statistics vs the #1 NFL WR (and reflected in Detroit's obvious hafltime adjustment to 'stay away from Nnamdi') Asomugha WAS, in fact, "the player he once was" -- that can't be denied -- and after Week 6's coaching debacle there were just too many new factors interceding -- defensive coordination upheavals /"tweaks", Philadelphia press-ure, etc -- to make any clear, definitive determination that "Asomugha is not the player he once was, and he will most likely never be that again."

(After two years in Philadelphia -- one which included a multi-month lockout -- I do, however, have a concern over one issue that could affect Asomugha performance and about which he and coaches might not be informed. Could be nothing; I'll try contacting him about it.)"
[ Edited by leon49 on Jul 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
@leon49: Thanks for posting that article. I had read that and was pretty excited about Asomugha because there's no question about it - Juan Castillo (offensive line coach posing as defensive coordinator) is no fricking Vic Fangio.

Fangio has said what he wants - he wants to find out if Nnamdi can cover. This article suggests that he still can. And, if he can lock on to Calvin Johnson, he can absolutely take Sidney Rice out of a game when they play the Hawks and hopefully, let T Brown lock up on Percy Harvin. Asomugha is a man on a mission and Fangio is so much better as a defensive coach than what he had in Philly that it's crazy. If they use Asomugha correctly and he can still lock down a large receiver man-to-man, the defensive backfield is going to get better this year - especially if Reid pans out as a safety with better coverage skills than Goldson.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Congrats to Mr. & Mrs. Kerry Washington

this marriage is a sham to cover up kerry washington's ongoing affair with barrack obama
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by leon49:
Very interesting post In this article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692636-san-francisco-49ers-will-nnamdi-asomugha-help-improve-secondary about Nnamdi going up against Megatron last season:

"Asomugha had a "perfect game" going for 3 1/2 qtrs of Week 6, 2012 man-to-man coverage against the eventual #1 NFL WR in 2012, Calvin Johnson: 7 targets, 1 completion, 28 yds, 0 TD, 2 false starts and a first-half interception by Nnamdi in the endzone. Most telling of Asomugha's *total dominance* of Johnson was Detroit's apparent halftime-adjustment in targeting Megatron far less -- indeed *just once*(!) in the 3rd quarter (incomplete) -- reminiscent (no?) of a certain All-Pro *shutdown* CB at Oakland against whom opponents would simply give-up trying to attack. Philadelphia shutout Detroit in the 3rd while increasing its lead and added a FG in the 4th to lead by 10 lead with 5:18 remaining. Megatron was a total ZILCH in the game vs Asomugha man-to-man up to that point, when Philly DC Juan Castillo had a brainstorm to "change up" vs Megatron, interfere with the ongoing defensive "Mona Lisa" (athletic Philistine!) and call for ZONE.

With Calvin Johnson then "freed" of man-cover by Asomugha...: 6 targets, 5 receptions, 107 yards, 0 TD (one called back for Off PI) in just 5 minutes plus OT

Final result in OT: Philly loses 26-23.

DC Juan Castillo fired two days later. Same day, Philly pro-active press "sets up" Nnamdi Asomugha with leading questions critical of the defensive play-calling, his quiet, constructive-intent, minimalist 'answers' to which (two "um...yeah" responses) were exploded into "…To openly question a coach's tactical decisions like that will not go unnoticed by the organizational hierarchy." [ http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-16/sports/34473637_1_nnamdi-asomugha-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-defensive-scheme ;] Andy Reid fired after week 17. Asomugha released two months later.

What a clueless, manipulative mess was Philadelphia coaching, press and management.

Certainly there was nothing "diminished" in Nnamdi Asomugha's abilities during his Week 6 man-to-man match vs Calvin Johnson. Could there be a tougher test? His achievement was near perfect for the time in man-to-man! Per statistics vs the #1 NFL WR (and reflected in Detroit's obvious hafltime adjustment to 'stay away from Nnamdi') Asomugha WAS, in fact, "the player he once was" -- that can't be denied -- and after Week 6's coaching debacle there were just too many new factors interceding -- defensive coordination upheavals /"tweaks", Philadelphia press-ure, etc -- to make any clear, definitive determination that "Asomugha is not the player he once was, and he will most likely never be that again."

(After two years in Philadelphia -- one which included a multi-month lockout -- I do, however, have a concern over one issue that could affect Asomugha performance and about which he and coaches might not be informed. Could be nothing; I'll try contacting him about it.)"

great info man

i'd like to see if nnamdi can play man to man on an island with the opponents #2 WR for a whole game, that would free up the rest of the defense to play a combo of zone or man.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
great info man

i'd like to see if nnamdi can play man to man on an island with the opponents #2 WR for a whole game, that would free up the rest of the defense to play a combo of zone or man.

If we can put Nmandi on an island with opponents number 2 receiver, I seriously doubt we lose more than 2 games this year. With a recharged pass rush, we could be sending a few DBs to the Pro-Bowl.

This may be one of the most talented teams we've ever seen on both sides of the ball + special teams in the 21st century.
I wish the season could start tomorrow
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Originally posted by defenderDX:

LOL i love it
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
old and slow won't be shocked if he doesn't make the team
Originally posted by susweel:
old and slow won't be shocked if he doesn't make the team

If nothing else he will teach our smaller receivers to get off the press, thats an asset in itself.
Share 49ersWebzone