There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Baalke waiting for Asomugha and Woodsons price to drop?

it seems to me, Asomugha and Woodson arent in a hurry to sign anywhere else, and waiting for Trent to make them an offer ....do you think we will grab one of them , or both , once their price comes down significantly lower?

I'm hoping we can grab both as one year rentals, and take a big swing at the big dance again ....if not, I'm ok with grooming younger defensive backs...whats your thoughts on these two players ...do you want? ...or should we draft our own players to groom for down the road?
yeah
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
it seems to me, Asomugha and Woodson arent in a hurry to sign anywhere else, and waiting for Trent to make them an offer ....do you think we will grab one of them , or both , once their price comes down significantly lower?

I'm hoping we can grab both as one year rentals, and take a big swing at the big dance again ....if not, I'm ok with grooming younger defensive backs...whats your thoughts on these two players ...do you want? ...or should we draft our own players to groom for down the road?

That's what they did with Carlos Rogers. No need to rush and sign someone. I don't believe the secondary is anywhere near as bad as it was in the playoffs. Plus with the cap situation and player contracts coming up, not a good idea to sign larger contracts
The secondary, IMO, was exposed when Justin went down in the Pats game and was NEVER the same. That's why we need to address DLine in a very big way in the draft. What happens if he goes down in game one and Ray Mac gets hurt?

That said, I think it could be a couple of things in play:

a). Trent is trying to clear cap room so he can sign one of them on a price that has been spoken about OR

b). He is just waiting them out as the market settles.

VERY tough call. It would be great to get both, Asso for 2+ years - and we'll just have to wait and see.
I think Woodson is just too old and the Niners are passing on him. I think Nnamdi is in negotiations. So we just have to wait and see how that plays out. I think the owner meetings being this week have slowed things down a bit.
I think the 49ers priorities are with the draft. Both players are over 30 and the team just doesn't have a history of paying 30+ players big money. The DL will be addressed with the draft and with FA. It's clear the defensive philosophy where one set of guys play 97% of snaps doesn't get you far into the year and could explain the W-W-L pattern. I think both are options even possibly after the draft.
It is better to have an all-star defensive line than an all-star defensive backfield, given the choice and opportunity. Nobody can defend against quality receivers when even average QBs have time and comfort. Of course signing all-star type DBs would be great, but not if it impacted getting a superstar type defensive guy up front.
Originally posted by carlgo:
It is better to have an all-star defensive line than an all-star defensive backfield, given the choice and opportunity. Nobody can defend against quality receivers when even average QBs have time and comfort. Of course signing all-star type DBs would be great, but not if it impacted getting a superstar type defensive guy up front.

This is why we should trade up to target the dlineman we want in the 1st round. "our guy"

Did it with Anthony Davis a few years back, I wouldnt be surprised if we did it this for our Dline. Maybe Star, Richardson?!?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think Woodson is just too old and the Niners are passing on him. I think Nnamdi is in negotiations. So we just have to wait and see how that plays out. I think the owner meetings being this week have slowed things down a bit.

i think this is the truth here
Maybe (I hope so), this is the plan at FS and CB..We can/will draft Whitners replacement.
Yeah, they do this every year...wait a long time, let the price drop big time and then sign these vets to reasonable contracts. Period. We hold all the cards here. We already have competition at FS with the current roster and at CB. So if these guys drop their prices and ARE upgrades over Whitner, FS and CB, Baalke will move on it then. And with 14 picks in the draft, no rush.

As to our secondary, it's been torched since the New England game but our S position has been torched all year and then our CB's (later in the year and throughout the playoffs) - collectively, they gave up a lot of big plays and TD's. Make no mistake about it...it was a weakness WITH Goldson, Whitner and Rogers/Culliver.

This is why Baalke has looked at just about every single FA out there...
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,568
There's no one worth bending over backwards for. We'll do our damage in the draft.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, they do this every year...wait a long time, let the price drop big time and then sign these vets to reasonable contracts. Period. We hold all the cards here. We already have competition at FS with the current roster and at CB. So if these guys drop their prices and ARE upgrades over Whitner, FS and CB, Baalke will move on it then. And with 14 picks in the draft, no rush.

As to our secondary, it's been torched since the New England game but our S position all year and then our CB's (later in the year and throughout the playoffs) gave up a lot of big plays and TD's. Make no mistake about it...it was a weakness WITH Goldson, Whitner and Rogers/Culliver.

This is why Baalke has looked at just about every single FA out there...

I think Nnamdi would be the only secondary signing in fa we do from here foward cuz we have a lot of competition at fs but i tjink we need one more cb and a rookie cb to make it a real competition there.
We cannot go into the season & expect for our D to be a top #5 defense with 2 guys returning from Injury (Smith Bros.) & have a guy like Dahl or a rookie next to Whitner at the back end. Its a disaster ready to happend if we go that route. Get Woodson signed before a team has their guy go down & sign Woodson on the dot.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I think Nnamdi would be the only secondary signing in fa we do from here foward cuz we have a lot of competition at fs but i tjink we need one more cb and a rookie cb to make it a real competition there.

Asomugha would be a solid cover corner for us , especially with an improved pass rush

Woodson would help us out as a one year rental ...we could use his pass coverage skills in our base defense if he played FS, which would make our pass defense tougher to crack