LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Is Baalke waiting for Asomugha and Woodsons price to drop?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFrush:
I don't think Baalke is concerned with either of these guys signing.

If Baalke isn't, then he and I are in agreement!
Man, this is soooo different than the bad old days, where lilmikeynoln couldn't get anyone to even consider coming here. Then with no DL, no OL, he brings in Nate the great for a basket of $$. Unfortunately, Nate was not a shut down corner on a team with nothing else in the D backfield. He tackled a lot but he didn't shut down anybody, ever. Now is a totally different feel....guys , old guys, younger guys, with sizable contracts, suddenly want to come here. Heck yeah, I would too. Point is our men , JH and trent, have had us in Playoffs then in SB....and everybody with an expiring contract knows it. This is like during the BW yrs, when everybody seemed to want to come here. It feels good...real good. Kinda why i get a bit peeved when some WZers rain all over JH. Man the guy is a magnet for good players who want to come here if $$ are right. At least we now get a sniff, even if we aren't paying what guys like revis wants. Point is, this IS the place to be...and NFL players are fully aware of that. Thank you Coach..and trent.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Man, this is soooo different than the bad old days, where lilmikeynoln couldn't get anyone to even consider coming here. Then with no DL, no OL, he brings in Nate the great for a basket of $$. Unfortunately, Nate was not a shut down corner on a team with nothing else in the D backfield. He tackled a lot but he didn't shut down anybody, ever. Now is a totally different feel....guys , old guys, younger guys, with sizable contracts, suddenly want to come here. Heck yeah, I would too. Point is our men , JH and trent, have had us in Playoffs then in SB....and everybody with an expiring contract knows it. This is like during the BW yrs, when everybody seemed to want to come here. It feels good...real good. Kinda why i get a bit peeved when some WZers rain all over JH. Man the guy is a magnet for good players who want to come here if $$ are right. At least we now get a sniff, even if we aren't paying what guys like revis wants. Point is, this IS the place to be...and NFL players are fully aware of that. Thank you Coach..and trent.

P.S. We need a wolf whistle smiley.

Nolan deserved huge credit for getting Justin Smith to come here however.
I doubt we sign either, we basically have enough money to sign the draft picks and maybe a few guys incase of injury durning the season.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Nolan deserved huge credit for getting Justin Smith to come here however.

Hennessey
Hookers
Helicopters
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I doubt we sign either, we basically have enough money to sign the draft picks and maybe a few guys incase of injury durning the season.

I heard a few guys might restructure (like Goodwin). Hopefully, AB can shed some light on whether we can sign one or more of those guys AND sign our 14 motherf***in draft picks
Originally posted by ivanm05:
The more time passes, the more leverage the Niners have. Its simple supply and demand. Nobody is dying to sign these guys, and if they still don't get much action even after the Reed signing, all the better. I'm guessing Woodson's agent is looking at 3 year deal, that is really only a one year deal, with about 3-4 million guaranteed. My guess is that if he signs with the Niners he'll settle with 2.5 mil on a one year.

As far as Nnamdi. He's gonna require a deal a lot like Reed's. 4 to 5 mill. No way he's gonna settle on a one year deal for cheap. He's not that bad. And someone WILL give him that deal, whether its the Niners or the Saints or some other Team.
Nnamdi has 4 million coming to his pocket this year even if he sat the whole season, I'd like to think at this point winning means more to him than money, even Ed Reed money. His time is running out as he's getting up there in age. He knows that and so do the niners. I doubt the niners are offering much money. Probably two years, three at most with it. Take it or leave it Nnamdi, We are going back to the super bowl with or without you!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nnamdi is going to sign with the Saints. He's very familiar with Ryan and they're are still a very good team. It'd be a minor upset if he decided to sign with us.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Nnamdi is going to sign with the Saints. He's very familiar with Ryan and they're are still a very good team. It'd be a minor upset if he decided to sign with us.

If was that simple he would've already signed with New Orleans.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by mayo49:

If was that simple he would've already signed with New Orleans.

True.
I would rather have Woodson at FS. He's old but smart and could cover TEs on 3rd downs like Gonzales. Thats what killed our defense was not getting off the field on 3rd downs.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I would rather have Woodson at FS. He's old but smart and could cover TEs on 3rd downs like Gonzales. Thats what killed our defense was not getting off the field on 3rd downs.

That and not getting to the qb, after Justin went down. And of course the two are related.
Baalke is following his free agent playbook. He has a number in mind for each player and won't pay more than that. So far, it has worked just fine. I would prefer Asomugha over Woodson just because I think he still has a couple of good years left in him. As Niner fans, we have to be patient which is not our strong suit. You never know what our front office will do next (e.g. showing interest in Israel Idonije).
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The secondary, IMO, was exposed when Justin went down in the Pats game and was NEVER the same. That's why we need to address DLine in a very big way in the draft. What happens if he goes down in game one and Ray Mac gets hurt?

That said, I think it could be a couple of things in play:

a). Trent is trying to clear cap room so he can sign one of them on a price that has been spoken about OR

b). He is just waiting them out as the market settles.

VERY tough call. It would be great to get both, Asso for 2+ years - and we'll just have to wait and see.
What happens if Kaep goes down? Crabtree, VD, or Boldin?
Share 49ersWebzone