There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Ghost - Is Sammy Lee Hill a worthwhile guy to persue for NT rotation?
Sandcastle …
Originally posted by ritchie:
Fro, what do you think about the deal the Niners and Clonaid, pioneers in human cloning have struck to make exact replicas of Justin Smith?

LOL... way to funny... LOL
Where do we get the funds for that... and who do we trust...
There is a few other's in history I'd like to clone myself...
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Ghost - Is Sammy Lee Hill a worthwhile guy to persue for NT rotation?

I think so, with the only caveat being he hasn't played in a pure 3-man front.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
  • World
  • Veteran
Fro, what do you think about the deal the Niners and Clonaid, pioneers in human cloning have struck to make exact replicas of Justin Smith?

Can we get a few copies of the Right Reverend Fro, Jessica Alba and a bucket of chicken too?? Not necessarily in that order!

Seriously though, folks. The Niners made THE splash of the FA period by getting Anquan Boldin. $6MM is a STEAL compared to what the Seahawks signed Harvin to (avg $11MM), Bowe (avg $11MM) and Wallace (avg $13MM) per season. I realize he wasn't technically a Free Agent, but he was going to be released, going to be a Free Agent, and the Niners scooped him up before he could get there and drive up his price. Giving up a 6th round pick when they have 15 in this draft is a drop in the bucket. They couldn't expect to get a WR in the 1st round of the draft this year that would have an impact, never mind a 6th rounder. This move gives them impact now, while still leaving them tons of picks to build for the future. This was not a move to mortgage the future for one last shot at a "closing window".

More importantly, it keeps them from having to commit huge dollars to a position where they already have a #1 WR who is going to require more money in the near future. Committing big money to 2 WR's would have been crippling to their ability to augment the defense. And regardless of what the media keeps feeding us about this now being a passing league where offenses rule, it's Defenses that still win championships. Just look at the 2 Super Bowl teams. Just ask the Patriots. Since they decided it was "necessary" to build around Brady before the window closed adding players like Moss, Welker and Lloyd, they haven't won a Super Bowl. And the last 3 times they were knocked out of the playoffs it was by teams whose defenses shut down their "high powered" attack (Giants x2, Ravens). It used to be the Pats who did that to other teams (see Rams, St. Louis & Colts, Indianapolis). What they forgot was, the beauty of Brady was that he didn't have to have a favorite receiver, or a big name receiver. He was good enough to make an average WR look great, while their defense kept giving him back the ball. They mocked Peyton Manning for putting up stats in the regular season, only to fall short in the playoffs, when it wasn't Manning that was failing, it was his defense. Now the shoe's on the other foot and Pats fans don't see it. They are screaming for the Pats to re-sign Welker, with no mention of Talib, yet it was Talib's injury in the playoffs that turned the tide in that game with Baltimore and opened the flood gates for the Raven's offense.

Enough about the Pats. I said that to say this, expect the Niners to lie low a bit until the crazy money is spent on the first 2-3 players to sign at each position, then swoop in to get a "bargain" or 2 who are still very capable starters, preferably on defense. The areas of need for the Niners (CB, S, DL) are also the areas that are the deepest in FA and the draft. Their Defense is good enough that they don't NEED the top CB on the market or the top S, just solid starters who know their responsibilities, don't give up the big play so the LB's can do their work stuffing the run and getting after the QB, until those who are drafted this year can step into the mix. Rinse, lather, repeat. That's how dynasties are built and to my mind, Baalke seems to be RE-building a dynasty in SF!

"Hallelujah! Holy $hit! Where's the Tylenol?"
Originally posted by World:
Can we get a few copies of the Right Reverend Fro, Jessica Alba and a bucket of chicken too?? Not necessarily in that order!

Seriously though, folks. The Niners made THE splash of the FA period by getting Anquan Boldin. $6MM is a STEAL compared to what the Seahawks signed Harvin to (avg $11MM), Bowe (avg $11MM) and Wallace (avg $13MM) per season. I realize he wasn't technically a Free Agent, but he was going to be released, going to be a Free Agent, and the Niners scooped him up before he could get there and drive up his price. Giving up a 6th round pick when they have 15 in this draft is a drop in the bucket. They couldn't expect to get a WR in the 1st round of the draft this year that would have an impact, never mind a 6th rounder. This move gives them impact now, while still leaving them tons of picks to build for the future. This was not a move to mortgage the future for one last shot at a "closing window".

More importantly, it keeps them from having to commit huge dollars to a position where they already have a #1 WR who is going to require more money in the near future. Committing big money to 2 WR's would have been crippling to their ability to augment the defense. And regardless of what the media keeps feeding us about this now being a passing league where offenses rule, it's Defenses that still win championships. Just look at the 2 Super Bowl teams. Just ask the Patriots. Since they decided it was "necessary" to build around Brady before the window closed adding players like Moss, Welker and Lloyd, they haven't won a Super Bowl. And the last 3 times they were knocked out of the playoffs it was by teams whose defenses shut down their "high powered" attack (Giants x2, Ravens). It used to be the Pats who did that to other teams (see Rams, St. Louis & Colts, Indianapolis). What they forgot was, the beauty of Brady was that he didn't have to have a favorite receiver, or a big name receiver. He was good enough to make an average WR look great, while their defense kept giving him back the ball. They mocked Peyton Manning for putting up stats in the regular season, only to fall short in the playoffs, when it wasn't Manning that was failing, it was his defense. Now the shoe's on the other foot and Pats fans don't see it. They are screaming for the Pats to re-sign Welker, with no mention of Talib, yet it was Talib's injury in the playoffs that turned the tide in that game with Baltimore and opened the flood gates for the Raven's offense.

Enough about the Pats. I said that to say this, expect the Niners to lie low a bit until the crazy money is spent on the first 2-3 players to sign at each position, then swoop in to get a "bargain" or 2 who are still very capable starters, preferably on defense. The areas of need for the Niners (CB, S, DL) are also the areas that are the deepest in FA and the draft. Their Defense is good enough that they don't NEED the top CB on the market or the top S, just solid starters who know their responsibilities, don't give up the big play so the LB's can do their work stuffing the run and getting after the QB, until those who are drafted this year can step into the mix. Rinse, lather, repeat. That's how dynasties are built and to my mind, Baalke seems to be RE-building a dynasty in SF!

Nicely stated. I expect to see the Niners draft heavily for the defense but still pick a WR or two and now a replacement for Walker. So we could see 3-4 Offensive players. We also need special teams players and certainly a kicker in FA and or the draft.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame

Ladies and Gentlemen, my brother from another mother! WORLD!!!! The third moon of Adradana must be in alignment with the Ventar Nebula. The Brothers of Destruction Reunited!!!

And as always my old friend, excellent Chevy Chase reference!
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM ]
I dont get the Reed love fest in this thread. Woodson is coming in tomorrow, I think he would be much better than Reed. Thoughts?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
With Boldin traded to the 49ers, Baalke needs to work out some cap stuff to our roster.

Could the 49ers place Mario Manningham on IR/PUP once TC starts so that he doesn't count towards the cap? Not sure how that rule works.

Well said. It took so long to get back to relevancy in the NFL. Now that the 49ers are here, Baalke wants to keep the winning prolonged. Hook in the next generation of Faithfuls. Baalke should have a lot of confidence from ownership. That will prevent him from feeling as though he needs to make the big splash in any sort of transaction. To build a dynasty nowadays, they will need to draft and develop well.
Fro, are you an internet hipster?
Originally posted by GEEK:
With Boldin traded to the 49ers, Baalke needs to work out some cap stuff to our roster.

Could the 49ers place Mario Manningham on IR/PUP once TC starts so that he doesn't count towards the cap? Not sure how that rule works.

That doesn't impact the cap in any way.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Fro, are you an internet hipster?

I am older than the internet. So, I guess that would make me an internet frump grump.