LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What about Quin at S? I heard on ESPN that he can also play CB.

He'd be a solid FS signing and I'd be surprised if we hadn't already reached out to his agent. It also shows you that you converting a CB to play FS isn't that much of a stretch.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by fropwns:
well, we this one comming....

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/03/12/titans-sign-delanie-walker/

This really does not go here, but dang.... Please post it in the FA thread. This is only for 49ers signings.
Copy,my bad
No worries, shoot to kill and drive on.
well, we this one comming....

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/03/12/titans-sign-delanie-walker/

This really does not go here, but dang.... Please post it in the FA thread. This is only for 49ers signings.
Copy,my bad
No worries, shoot to kill and drive on.

My respect level for you just shot up. HOOAH!!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Ghost, you had mentioned it, and I wanted to go back to it. An idea is out there about signing a veteran, typically Reed, and having a young draftee learn from him. In a business such as the NFl, is this really likely? Do I train a dude to take my job,while I am still employed? Is this some sort of weird prison logic? Are we on the set of Oz?
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What your thoughts in bring in Casey Hampton on a 2yr deal??? he could teach a young NT I think we draft M.Hughes or B.Williams? ???

Hampton would be a nice signing, but only for a 1 year deal. I could see a guy like Hampton helping us this year, but moving forward with Ian Williams and a relatively high draft pick like Johnathan Hankins, Jesse Williams, Montori Hughes or Brandon Williams rotating at the NT spot. My preference would be for Jesse Williams, since I think he could back up at the LDE role as well as NT, and that kind of versatility is important.

I'm not to high on Hamlin's or Williams I don't think we waste a 1 or 2nd round on a DT that doesn't play alot do like a 3rd on Williams even though people say he'll be gone by 74pick so I could see Hughes in 4th round ....

Again, Jesse Williams gives you the flexibility of a power 3-4 DE as well as a NT, so that's pretty unique and worthy of a late-round selection (IMO). But I get your point if a guy is purely a NT type of prospect...in that case, I also like Hughes, but I have a feeling he'll go higher than we expect.

In terms of free agents, I also think Aubrayo Franklin is a good fit to come back and even Alan Branch as a pure rotational guy. If we wanted to spend a little more money, Sammie Lee Hill is a good option too.

I'll even add that it wouldn't shock me if we re-signed Soap to a reasonable deal. Not that I want that since I think we can do better, but as a veteran rotational guy, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
Ghost, you had mentioned it, and I wanted to go back to it. An idea is out there about signing a veteran, typically Reed, and having a young draftee learn from him. In a business such as the NFl, is this really likely? Do I train a dude to take my job,while I am still employed? Is this some sort of weird prison logic? Are we on the set of Oz?

If you're a 3-5 year vet, then it's not likely. But when you're at the end of your career (like Moss was, like Boldin and Reed are), it's pretty natural to share your wisdom with guys who you KNOW will eventually be taking your spot. Not saying they coach the young guys up, but it's fairly common for long-time vets on their way out to share their secret sauce (little pearls of wisdom here and there, why they chose that specific angle, what tipped them off about that formation/package, player/coaching tendencies they've accumulated over the years, etc.).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
Jets release Sione Po'uha

Here's another good option as a veteran rotational NT with Ian Williams.

I'd luv him signing with us instead of Hampton

I'd luv him signing with us instead of Hampton

Agreed, and I don't think he'd cost us all that much.
D*MN ravens are f**ked Lewis retired Reed may retire traded boldin losted Kruger N ellerbe in free agency
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Ghost to help break down the potential free agency signings of our beloved San Francisco 49ers...
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM ]

This very specific thread that has been sculpted just for you has rules, Ghost. Please try to follow them like everybody else is being forced to do. Your cooperation makes it easier for the staff to moderate.

This very specific thread that has been sculpted just for you has rules, Ghost. Please try to follow them like everybody else is being forced to do. Your cooperation makes it easier for the staff to moderate.

Well this has become about as uncomfortable as sitting through dinner with a couple on the verge of divorce as they talk past each other all evening long...
Share 49ersWebzone