LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Meh, Stoney slurped the fun right out of this thread.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Which is why I bumped it ....
Originally posted by Beeker:

Which is why I bumped it ....

lolz
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Right, let's get this ship back on course. Ghost, give me your thoughts on the 49ers shopping on the cheap and possibly, if the interwebz are to be trusted, going after one of the big name FA (Or soon to be cut/dealt) DBs on the market.
I liked Ghost's take on the Revis situation.

Let's talk about that.
Ghost, any chance if Nnamdi is signed by the Niners, that we convert him to our FS? He was one at Cal, and reports are he's lost a step. It was around the same age (early 30s) that we signed another former pro-bowl CB and made him our FS (the great Rod Woodson) back in '97. Another Woodson, Charles, seems to have adapted to being a FS. Maybe he's not a great CB anymore, but would still be hell of a FS. Or are we looking at him solely as a starting CB?

*FYI, I'm just trying to think out of the box*
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Ghost, any chance if Nnamdi is signed by the Niners, that we convert him to our FS? He was one at Cal, and reports are he's lost a step. It was around the same age (early 30s) that we signed another former pro-bowl CB and made him our FS (the great Rod Woodson) back in '97. Another Woodson, Charles, seems to have adapted to being a FS. Maybe he's not a great CB anymore, but would still be hell of a FS. Or are we looking at him solely as a starting CB?

Not physical enough IMO.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Not physical enough IMO.

I honestly thought that was the positive of Nnamdi, that he was a big physical CB. He might not "lay the wood", but he redirects WRs and was a good, sound tackler.
Originally posted by fropwns:

Right, let's get this ship back on course. Ghost, give me your thoughts on the 49ers shopping on the cheap and possibly, if the interwebz are to be trusted, going after one of the big name FA (Or soon to be cut/dealt) DBs on the market.

You're welcome
Not physical enough IMO.

I honestly thought that was the positive of Nnamdi, that he was a big physical CB. He might not "lay the wood", but he redirects WRs and was a good, sound tackler.

Maybe you're right, but I doubt the Niners plan is to move him to FS.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by fropwns:

You're welcome

Let's talk about that.

Just speculation of course...but if we sign either Woodson (seems likely) or Reed (likely only if we don't sign Woodson), the next logical move in my mind is to trade for Revis. I think we could get Revis for our low 2nd, a mid-round pick this year (5th?) and the conditional "Alex Smith" pick next year. That would still leave us with 12 picks for this year (with a 1st, a high 2nd and two 3rds in tact!), a starting safety (Woodson or Reed) and a starting CB (Revis) opposite Brown. Again, Revis only counts $6M against this year's cap, which can be washed out with the release of Rogers.

Let's talk about that.

Just speculation of course...but if we sign either Woodson (seems likely) or Reed (likely only if we don't sign Woodson), the next logical move in my mind is to trade for Revis. I think we could get Revis for our low 2nd, a mid-round pick this year (5th?) and the conditional "Alex Smith" pick next year. That would still leave us with 12 picks for this year (with a 1st, a high 2nd and two 3rds in tact!), a starting safety (Woodson or Reed) and a starting CB (Revis) opposite Brown. Again, Revis only counts $6M against this year's cap, which can be washed out with the release of Rogers.

Isn't Rogers guaranteed some $$ though?

I like that strategy btw.

I think that's a possibility down the road, but I don't think they'd sign Nnamdi to play safety this year or even next. Also, Woodson primarily played SS at Green Bay this year...he played down in the slot too, but when he lined up in the secondary, he was pretty much their SS. So if they sign Woodson, it could mean the end of Whitner's time here.

Let's talk about that.

Isn't Rogers guaranteed some $$ though?

I like that strategy btw.

I'd have to ask AB about that, but at the end of the day, I actually don't think the release of Rogers would move the cap needle that much either way. In order to make this all work, I think they'd have to get rid of both Rogers and Whitner (something I wouldn't shed one tear over).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone