LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by World:
Ghost,

I'm actually kind of surprised there has been no linking of Aqib Talib to the Niners. The more time that passes, the more realistic his dollars should be, not that I thought he would necessarily command big dollars to begin with. He comes with some baggage, but kept his nose clean in New England, and as I posted earlier in this thread, was a major difference maker for their defense. The Pats pass defense went from last or next to last prior to Talib starting, to a middle of the road pass defense. That's a significant difference for one player to make. And then inversely, immediately after Talib went out of the game with his leg injury the Patriots defense returned to form and got lit up by Joe Flacco, et al, ending their season. He's 27 years old, with size (6-1, 205lbs), speed and talent, and should be relatively cheap (in CB dollars), why has there been no visit or perceived interest from the 49ers? Am I missing something? Perhaps he's made it clear he is looking to return to the Pats, but to me, I think he could be a better VALUE (I did not say better player) than most of the other DB's linked to the Niners so far in FA (Revis, Asomugha, etc.) I expect when he finally signs it will be for a contract in the 2 yr/$10MM range, which to me would be good value/low risk for a player with his ability. Thoughts?

The only thing I can think of is teams are scared off because of the past character issues. In terms of youth, price and recent productivity, it's hard not to want Talib over Nnamdi.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Seahags front office?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Filing in this report from the Big Easy, I have traveled here to exorcise the demons of our Super Bowl defeat. However, after traveling down Bourbon Street, I found this nice man a couple streets over very near the Cafe du Monde:

He seems reputable and has an honest face. And he wants to help exorcise the demons.
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
So with having to pay Crabs and Kap in the future what are the odds we keep Boldin for more than a year? It'd be like the good ol days with Rice and Taylor.:)
Originally posted by Walsh:
So with having to pay Crabs and Kap in the future what are the odds we keep Boldin for more than a year? It'd be like the good ol days with Rice and Taylor.:)

I think it's smart to extend his contract for at least another year...it lowers his cap number for this year and hopefully keeps him around a little longer.
I think Baalke has a plan and a few tricks up his sleeve.. I don't believe there is any real interest in Namdi, just feigned interest to avoid paying too steep a price for Revis. The Jets no doubt are looking for a package of picks including a 1st rounder, the 49ers don't want to pay that much so they have devised an elaborate ruse. The only other tea in the hunt for Revis seems to be TB, they also have lots of CAP space to resign him. The 49ers declined to sign Woodson since he would be 37 during next season.. Reed is also not the same Reed from his All-Pro days, so they aren't going to pay him.

I can smell a trade coming for Revis and moving Culliver to FS, where he would better suited. He has pretty decent coverage skills but can't seem to locate the ball in the air. At FS this would be less of an issue, because he wouldn't be asked to turn and run.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think Baalke has a plan and a few tricks up his sleeve.. I don't believe there is any real interest in Namdi, just feigned interest to avoid paying too steep a price for Revis. The Jets no doubt are looking for a package of picks including a 1st rounder, the 49ers don't want to pay that much so they have devised an elaborate ruse. The only other tea in the hunt for Revis seems to be TB, they also have lots of CAP space to resign him. The 49ers declined to sign Woodson since he would be 37 during next season.. Reed is also not the same Reed from his All-Pro days, so they aren't going to pay him.

I can smell a trade coming for Revis and moving Culliver to FS, where he would better suited. He has pretty decent coverage skills but can't seem to locate the ball in the air. At FS this would be less of an issue, because he wouldn't be asked to turn and run.

The more incremental moves the Niners make, the more it appears you may be right. The front office is playing this offseason like a chess game. They continue to make moves that basically put them in control of the draft next month. Whatever they are planning, they have all the picks plus some cap space to make something happen. I can't wait!
My biggest concern is the D-Line. I thought we needed to add to the rotation not decrease it. The RJF and Soap swap for Dorsey does not add up for me. And I am not going to pin my hopes to a rookie for 2013.

If Cowboy can not return to top form we are in big trouble, even if he can we are not looking all that scary right now
Originally posted by danimal:
My biggest concern is the D-Line. I thought we needed to add to the rotation not decrease it. The RJF and Soap swap for Dorsey does not add up for me. And I am not going to pin my hopes to a rookie for 2013.

If Cowboy can not return to top form we are in big trouble, even if he can we are not looking all that scary right now

We have ian williams to rotate with dorsey. Personally nothing about soap and rjf was really scary either but i understand your comments about justin we would be in some trouble.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

We have ian williams to rotate with dorsey. Personally nothing about soap and rjf was really scary either but i understand your comments about justin we would be in some trouble.

If Dorsey and Williams were the end of the story, I would be worried. It's not over by a long shot.........

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

If Dorsey and Williams were the end of the story, I would be worried. It's not over by a long shot.........

Nope. This FO has a lot of time and a plan. They ain't done by any means.
When you think about it, what a marvellous way to keep NFL (and your favorite team) in the spotlite, 10-11 mos/yr , even tho the season is just 17 weeks long. That is a pretty good trick, and we are all a part of it. Genius boy above, just got this new "do' before he went out for job interviews....and you know that is true.
Originally posted by Beeker:

Originally posted by Beeker:

what a f**kin douche
Share 49ersWebzone