LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
What ever happened to kyle vanden bosch did he retire or is he just stuck in free agency. if he ditched the red contacts he would be a decent de to bring on for rotating he did pretty good with the pass rush in detroit?

Well, he is still currently a free agent. At first, I thought you meant this dude:
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that Whitner gets replaced by a different FA?

Personally, I can't stand Whitner but I think we're stuck with him this year.

I am no Ghost, but I would say it seems only likely if we are seriously considering getting a new SS. I am tempted to go 50/50 because it is the safe bet. However, I will go with 70/30 he stays. This, of course, means his a** is gone tomorrow.
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
What ever happened to kyle vanden bosch did he retire or is he just stuck in free agency. if he ditched the red contacts he would be a decent de to bring on for rotating he did pretty good with the pass rush in detroit?

Wolf - At 6'4", 280, Vanden Bosch is about the same size as Justin and plays the same way. If we can't get anyone else as a rotational guy, he may not be a bad signing, depending on how much tread is left on the tires. That said, I think there are better options out there as more rotational pass rushers that have been discussed before (Abraham, Harrison, Freeney, Osi, etc.).
Originally posted by fropwns:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that Whitner gets replaced by a different FA?

I am no Ghost, but I would say it seems only likely if we are seriously considering getting a new SS. I am tempted to go 50/50 because it is the safe bet. However, I will go with 70/30 he stays. This, of course, means his a** is gone tomorrow.

100% chance he's gone if we sign Woodson tonight and sign Delmas tomorrow (says Mr. Obvious here). If we sign one or the other, I agree with Fro and say it's 50/50 depending on what happens in the draft.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

100% chance he's gone if we sign Woodson tonight and sign Delmas tomorrow (says Mr. Obvious here). If we sign one or the other, I agree with Fro and say it's 50/50 depending on what happens in the draft.

Not gonna let you have it this easy lol. How likely do you think it is that we sign 2 safeties (ie. Woodson and Delmas etc.) and Whitner gets cut? This is a little more in line with the spirit of my question.

Also, what's your take on Kenny Phillips? I mean if we're talking talented guys with injury risks I think I'd much rather take my chances on Phillips than on Delmas personally.

Not gonna let you have it this easy lol. How likely do you think it is that we sign 2 safeties (ie. Woodson and Delmas etc.) and Whitner gets cut? This is a little more in line with the spirit of my question.

Also, what's your take on Kenny Phillips? I mean if we're talking talented guys with injury risks I think I'd much rather take my chances on Phillips than on Delmas personally.

Since you put me on the spot, here's my best guess....I think we'll definitely sign Woodson tonight. If we do, I think there's a 50/50 chance we can sign Delmas to a one year deal to prove that he can stay healthy and to show what he can do on a championship caliber team, then go after the big money next season (sort of like Goldson did). Either way, I think Whitner is off the roster by this Friday.

Phillips is a solid option if Delmas (or Woodson, for that matter) walk away with no deals.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM ]
Wolf - At 6'4", 280, Vanden Bosch is about the same size as Justin and plays the same way. If we can't get anyone else as a rotational guy, he may not be a bad signing, depending on how much tread is left on the tires. That said, I think there are better options out there as more rotational pass rushers that have been discussed before (Abraham, Harrison, Freeney, Osi, etc.).
I agree I just thought I would ask about a free agent that seems to have sat under the radar since being released. I like his style he was very forceful getting through the line to get to QB's. Ive just been wondering since he was released watching him play left a good impression thought he would be a good score for the team if affordable..
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Good morning Zoners! Nothing like sitting at Sky Harbor and reading about what we did not do last night!
Good morning Zoners! Nothing like sitting at Sky Harbor and reading about what we did not do last night!

WTF are you doing at Sky Harbor? lol you shoulda let me know, I woulda bought you a cold one!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I would have settled for a Starbucks! Now, I sit in the equally fantaboulous DFW (much nearer to my native state). This reminds me, Ghost, I think Whitner is gone. Call it peer pressure, the Hazelnut Macchiatto that is the surface of the son hot (and cost 5 bucks! Geebus, America! When are we going to march in the streets over this travesty?), or perhaps because the defense was pourous, ala soapstone, at times during the playoffs, but I am now going to make a five star golden ticket, Harra's eat-your-heart-out prediction: Whitner is gone.
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]

I would have settled for a Starbucks! Now, I sit in the equally fantaboulous DFW (much nearer to my native state). This reminds me, Ghost, I think Whitner is gone. Call it peer pressure, the Hazelnut Macchiatto that is the surface of the son hot (and cost 5 bucks! Geebus, America! When are we going to march in the streets over this travesty?), or perhaps because the defense was pourous, ala soapstone, at times during the playoffs, but I am now going to make a five star golden ticket, Harra's eat-your-heart-out prediction: Whitner is gone.

I think Whitner is gone if:

1 Reed, Woodson, Delmas, or Rhodes are signed and
2 Nnamdi signs

IF those happen, I can see cully getting moved to safety and battling it out with Robinson

The writing is on the wall, Fro....Whitner is a goner, and as I said in a previous post, I don't see him on the roster come this weekend.

The writing is on the wall, Fro....Whitner is a goner, and as I said in a previous post, I don't see him on the roster come this weekend.
it's time .....

I really hope you're right. But since they haven't yet signed Woodson and are trying our Delmas it seems like a one or the other decision. If they don't sign both I would think Whitner would still be in their plans. At least for now.
Share 49ersWebzone