There are 147 users in the forums

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by fropwns:
I would have settled for a Starbucks! Now, I sit in the equally fantaboulous DFW (much nearer to my native state). This reminds me, Ghost, I think Whitner is gone. Call it peer pressure, the Hazelnut Macchiatto that is the surface of the son hot (and cost 5 bucks! Geebus, America! When are we going to march in the streets over this travesty?), or perhaps because the defense was pourous, ala soapstone, at times during the playoffs, but I am now going to make a five star golden ticket, Harra's eat-your-heart-out prediction: Whitner is gone.

The writing is on the wall, Fro....Whitner is a goner, and as I said in a previous post, I don't see him on the roster come this weekend.
I really hope you're right. But since they haven't yet signed Woodson and are trying our Delmas it seems like a one or the other decision. If they don't sign both I would think Whitner would still be in their plans. At least for now.

It's just me, but after all this activity, it would be hard to go back to Whitner and say "hey, we still believe in you....even though we're bringing in every safety currently available on the market." And these are not just free safeties to replace Goldson either...so I see it as an overhaul of the safety spot, and an addition to the CB spot if possible (Nnamdi!).
I would have settled for a Starbucks! Now, I sit in the equally fantaboulous DFW (much nearer to my native state). This reminds me, Ghost, I think Whitner is gone. Call it peer pressure, the Hazelnut Macchiatto that is the surface of the son hot (and cost 5 bucks! Geebus, America! When are we going to march in the streets over this travesty?), or perhaps because the defense was pourous, ala soapstone, at times during the playoffs, but I am now going to make a five star golden ticket, Harra's eat-your-heart-out prediction: Whitner is gone.

The writing is on the wall, Fro....Whitner is a goner, and as I said in a previous post, I don't see him on the roster come this weekend.
I really hope you're right. But since they haven't yet signed Woodson and are trying our Delmas it seems like a one or the other decision. If they don't sign both I would think Whitner would still be in their plans. At least for now.

It's just me, but after all this activity, it would be hard to go back to Whitner and say "hey, we still believe in you....even though we're bringing in every safety currently available on the market." And these are not just free safeties to replace Goldson either...so I see it as an overhaul of the safety spot, and an addition to the CB spot if possible (Nnamdi!).

As far as I know they've brought in 2 safeties for visits. I don't know how Whitner would consider it a sign that the organization doesn't believe in him.

If they were to sign one of either Delmas or Woodson who else out there is a legitimate option to replace Whitner? Maybe Quinten Mikell? Michael Huff? As of now they have yet to show any interest in either of them so I don't really think it's clear they are looking to replace him. I sure hope you're right though.

As far as I know they've brought in 2 safeties for visits. I don't know how Whitner would consider it a sign that the organization doesn't believe in him.

If they were to sign one of either Delmas or Woodson who else out there is a legitimate option to replace Whitner? Maybe Quinten Mikell? Michael Huff? As of now they have yet to show any interest in either of them so I don't really think it's clear they are looking to replace him. I sure hope you're right though.

Woodson is a SS, so that's a direct shot over Whitner's bow. Delmas could also been seen as a SS, though he was a FS in Detroit. I just don't think we could get much worse in terms of what Whitner did in coverage for us last year.

Yeah, Woodson, Delmas and (potentially) Reed are all free safeties. No reason for Whitner to fret. Did I miss a strong safety at some point?
Originally posted by VANiner:

Yeah, Woodson, Delmas and (potentially) Reed are all free safeties. No reason for Whitner to fret. Did I miss a strong safety at some point?

Kerry Rhodes? lol
Originally posted by VANiner:

Woodson played SS last year.

Woodson is a SS, so that's a direct shot over Whitner's bow. Delmas could also been seen as a SS, though he was a FS in Detroit. I just don't think we could get much worse in terms of what Whitner did in coverage for us last year.
I didn't know Woodson had a definite spot yet since this would be his first year playing safety full time, right?

As for the bolded, I totally agree. I just don't know how Harbaugh and Baalke feel about him and don't get a strong sense so far that they are actively looking to replace him. Like I've said multiple times I would love it if Whitner got replaced, I just don't know if it's imminent/inevitable from our activity thus far. On a related note, I'm honestly a bit bummed to see Kenny Phillips off the market. I think he would've been a great fit for us.
^^ I think Delmas is a much better talent than Kenny Phillips, so I'm ok with that. Though Phoenix49ers brought up Kerry Rhodes as a better FS replacement than both and that makes a lot of sense to me too.
Fair enough.

Any names you think we could be targeting to shore up our pass-rush? After Seattle signed Avril and Bennett I thought that meant that we were poised to sign Abraham but now reports are that he's heading to New England for a visit. Now that doesn't mean we wont end up signing him but it certainly makes it less likely. The only other name I see out there that would be somewhat likely is Dwight Freeney but idk how he'd feel about being a part-time situational pass rusher. Any other names out there we could be looking at? Parys Haralson hardly inspires confidence with his pass rushing abilities. I would have to think the front office thinks that way too, right?

We cannot, CANNOT go into the year with only Aldon and Brooks as our only OLB/DE's who have proven they can get to the QB consistently.

Fair enough.

Any names you think we could be targeting to shore up our pass-rush? After Seattle signed Avril and Bennett I thought that meant that we were poised to sign Abraham but now reports are that he's heading to New England for a visit. Now that doesn't mean we wont end up signing him but it certainly makes it less likely. The only other name I see out there that would be somewhat likely is Dwight Freeney but idk how he'd feel about being a part-time situational pass rusher. Any other names out there we could be looking at? Parys Haralson hardly inspires confidence with his pass rushing abilities. I would have to think the front office thinks that way too, right?

We cannot, CANNOT go into the year with only Aldon and Brooks as our only OLB/DE's who have proven they can get to the QB consistently.

I'm definitely partial to Abraham, but also think James Harrison would be just as good. He brings toughness, a mean attitude and 3-4 pass rush experience so I like him even better than Freeney (if I had to choose between those two). Osi might be interesting, but I'm not completely sold...and another name that is more along the lines of Abraham (bigger/4-3 DE type) is Kyle Vanden Bosch (hat tip to wolff). But I really think that if we can't get Abraham, Harrison is the next best option and definitely an upgrade over Haralson.
Fair enough.

I'm definitely partial to Abraham, but also think James Harrison would be just as good. He brings toughness, a mean attitude and 3-4 pass rush experience so I like him even better than Freeney (if I had to choose between those two). Osi might be interesting, but I'm not completely sold...and another name that is more along the lines of Abraham (bigger/4-3 DE type) is Kyle Vanden Bosch (hat tip to wolff). But I really think that if we can't get Abraham, Harrison is the next best option and definitely an upgrade over Haralson.
Completely forgot about Harrison. I would definitely be down for bringing him on board even if he is a bit coo-coo. I do worry that he could be another Joey Porter type though. Don't know whether there have been any locker room problems in Pittsburgh with Harrison like there were with Porter though.

I'm pretty sure Osi is set on being a starter somewhere after being upset with his role as a backup in New York and his proclamation that he will win defensive player of the year. He might change his tune if the offers aren't there though.
Whitner being cut is not going to hqppen. He is our in the box safety. We need a ball hawk like Delmas or Reed on the back end. Linebacker rotation would be nice pick up as well. Parys Haralson is still on the books for about 2.5 mill next year. He will either be gone or come back at half that price. That is another 1-2 mill of cap room. I think theu drafted Trenton Robsinson for a reason last year. Built like Earl Thomas with similar skill set. I'm all over the place on this post.... So might as well end it with MARGUS HUNT.
  • World
  • Veteran
Ghost,

I'm actually kind of surprised there has been no linking of Aqib Talib to the Niners. The more time that passes, the more realistic his dollars should be, not that I thought he would necessarily command big dollars to begin with. He comes with some baggage, but kept his nose clean in New England, and as I posted earlier in this thread, was a major difference maker for their defense. The Pats pass defense went from last or next to last prior to Talib starting, to a middle of the road pass defense. That's a significant difference for one player to make. And then inversely, immediately after Talib went out of the game with his leg injury the Patriots defense returned to form and got lit up by Joe Flacco, et al, ending their season. He's 27 years old, with size (6-1, 205lbs), speed and talent, and should be relatively cheap (in CB dollars), why has there been no visit or perceived interest from the 49ers? Am I missing something? Perhaps he's made it clear he is looking to return to the Pats, but to me, I think he could be a better VALUE (I did not say better player) than most of the other DB's linked to the Niners so far in FA (Revis, Asomugha, etc.) I expect when he finally signs it will be for a contract in the 2 yr/$10MM range, which to me would be good value/low risk for a player with his ability. Thoughts?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Share 49ersWebzone