There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The new Cold War (re NFC West)

Okay! Thank you Lisa. And you even acknowledge that the Seahawks need to play better, especially defensively, on the road.

It's your defense that depends on your "12th Man!" to help them out. When they find themselves playing straight up, without that phony advantage, I think sometimes they get psyched out because they miss it.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Sure it does. You'll still have that phony crutch of a deafening stadium disrupting the offense of the opposition. And that's something you don't have on the road. I'm saying it's a crutch and the more they get it, the more they depend on it. You can see what happens as well as anyone else. Their defensive players are constantly exhorting the crowd to scream and make it harder for the offense to get a play off. I don't know if you noticed, but most teams don't have that advantage at home so they don't get used to depending on it. As long as you've got your loud stadium and your full-of-themselves fans with their hokey name thinking they're part of the team, the Seahawks will be at a disadvantage on the road that most teams don't experience. Because the hokey "12th Man!" just can't go on the road with the team.

didn't seem to have a problem winning their last 3 on the road away from that crutch.. what's your point..? that was last season , what does that have to do with next season? unless you're trying to tell me we'll be fielding the same offense as last year, with a rookie QB and half the playbook to start the season?
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]
We'll see, hawker. I think Russell Wilson is going to suffer a sophomore slump. I think that over the off season, teams will figure out some ways to confine him to the pocket and limit his effectiveness passing and scrambling. I know, I know, you've got numbers that show he's better in the pocket. But, you're the same guy who wants to gauge his effectiveness by only counting the end of the season. We'll see. Here's what I know about Russell Wilson: he's good, but he's shorter than any consistently winning QB has been for the last 50 years. And as much as Pete Carroll likes to be revered for fitting square pegs in round holes, I think this is a bridge too far. If I'm wrong, more power to Russell Wilson, but for now, I'm just going with history on this one.
Originally posted by hawker84:
Sure it does. You'll still have that phony crutch of a deafening stadium disrupting the offense of the opposition. And that's something you don't have on the road. I'm saying it's a crutch and the more they get it, the more they depend on it. You can see what happens as well as anyone else. Their defensive players are constantly exhorting the crowd to scream and make it harder for the offense to get a play off. I don't know if you noticed, but most teams don't have that advantage at home so they don't get used to depending on it. As long as you've got your loud stadium and your full-of-themselves fans with their hokey name thinking they're part of the team, the Seahawks will be at a disadvantage on the road that most teams don't experience. Because the hokey "12th Man!" just can't go on the road with the team.

didn't seem to have a problem winning their last 3 on the road away from that crutch.. what's your point..? that was last season , what does that have to do with next season? unless you're trying to tell me we'll be fielding the same offense as last year, with a rookie QB and half the playbook to start the season?

Just to throw another curveball into the mix here, what is Seattle's all time road record? I can't seem to find it even after looking for about an hour.
yes let's disregard all those pesky numbers and stats.. and let's go on history....because it obviously can't be done if no ones done it right? then again you could be spot on...

do you think that teams will be doing the same for Kap, and maybe his numbers fall a bit?
We'll see, hawker. I think Russell Wilson is going to suffer a sophomore slump. I think that over the off season, teams will figure out some ways to confine him to the pocket and limit his effectiveness passing and scrambling. I know, I know, you've got numbers that show he's better in the pocket. But, you're the same guy who wants to gauge his effectiveness by only counting the end of the season. We'll see. Here's what I know about Russell Wilson: he's good, but he's shorter than any consistently winning QB has been for the last 50 years. And as much as Pete Carroll likes to be revered for fitting square pegs in round holes, I think this is a bridge too far. If I'm wrong, more power to Russell Wilson, but for now, I'm just going with history on this one.

Yea, going by their regarded logic we must be shoe-ins for the Super Bowl.

After all, last season ended with a narrow defeat. So that must mean we'll plow right through the regular season (16-0, baby!!) and blow out the AFC team.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Just to throw another curveball into the mix here, what is Seattle's all time road record? I can't seem to find it even after looking for about an hour.

Doesn't matter. Tell me, what's Seattle's road record with Russell Wilson if you don't count the five losses?

That tells you all you need to know.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM ]
None of this banter matters...it's still Seattle and they are still cursed. They will FIND a way not to get to the Superbowl...somehow, some way (see, last playoff game). This is one bet you CAN count on...every time...and any long-time Hawk fan will tell you that this is always in the back of their minds. Give it up to those continued believers though!
Originally posted by NCommand:
None of this banter matters...it's still Seattle and they are still cursed. They will FIND a way not to get to the Superbowl...somehow, some way (see, last playoff game). This is one bet you CAN count on...every time...and any long-time Hawk fan will tell you that this is always in the back of their minds. Give it up to those continued believers though!

"Continued believers" would imply that most of these cats were fans before last season. Which is funny, because I don't recall seeing any Seahawks fans in this forum before they beat us in December.
Originally posted by baltien:

Doesn't matter. Tell me, what's Seattle's road record with Russell Wilson if you don't count the five losses?

That tells you all you need to know.

Okay, so by that logic, if you don't count the road losses, the Hags are undefeated on the road all time?
Okay! Thank you Lisa. And you even acknowledge that the Seahawks need to play better, especially defensively, on the road.

It's your defense that depends on your "12th Man!" to help them out. When they find themselves playing straight up, without that phony advantage, I think sometimes they get psyched out because they miss it.

I've always acknowledged the defensive deficiencies on the road (you might want to check with Colin on that "phony" qualifier, though )

RW played some of his best games on the road - and lost.
Even in his "signature" road win (CHI) he had to lead TWO 80+ yard drives (one in the 4th quarter and one in overtime) due to defensive eff-ups.
The good news is, they aren't THAT far off ...
any defense that allows the fewest points in the NFL (with their largest margin of loss only seven points) must be doing something right.
They just have figure out how to do it right a couple times more often when in white or wolf grey
Okay, so by that logic, if you don't count the road losses, the Hags are undefeated on the road all time?

Exactamundo.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:

I've always acknowledged the defensive deficiencies on the road (you might want to check with Colin on that "phony" qualifier, though )

RW played some of his best games on the road - and lost.
Even in his "signature" road win (CHI) he had to lead TWO 80+ yard drives (one in the 4th quarter and one in overtime) due to defensive eff-ups.
The good news is, they aren't THAT far off ...
any defense that allows the fewest points in the NFL (with their largest margin of loss only seven points) must be doing something right.
They just have figure out how to do it right a couple times more often when in white or wolf grey

The Seahawks need to get a refund from the University of Oregon's uniform design department. Jus' Sayin'
"Continued believers" would imply that most of these cats were fans before last season. Which is funny, because I don't recall seeing any Seahawks fans in this forum before they beat us in December.

LOL. There is only about 9 of them (6 are from my side of the family). The rest are from all over the country currently living there thanks to Boeing, Starbucks and the tech industry. And VERY few know anything about football and none have a strong culture of proven history. Now soccer? It is a REAL soccer city. Mad respect for them here! Go Sounders!
Originally posted by NCommand:

you apparently didn't go back far enough, i joined here in October... other than the whole we'll find a way not to get to the superbowl part., i can't disagree with that post..

as far as the 5 losses, i never said they don't count , i just stated they happened in the first half of the season.. and went on to say our offense improved dramatically since then, and will be even better (on paper at least) next season.. so i don't see why people are still saying we can't win away from our crutch.. still haven't seen any legitmate reasons why that is, other than we're the Hawks, we can't win on the road.