There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The new Cold War (re NFC West)

• obx49
  • Veteran
f**k the Hawks, take them out of their element, they aren't s**t. We have the better QB, RBs, TE, WRs, OL, and I'll take our D over theirs any day.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
You can't forget about the Rams.

no jackson and no amendola

What happened to Jackson?

he's a Falcon

didn't even know that...been out the loop, that's a good move tho!

Jackson knew he was gonna be let go at the end of the season since about the start of last season. That was cool of the rams letting him know ahead of time.
Still waiting for Nnamdi or Woodson to sign..........it's our turn to make a splashy move.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Jackson knew he was gonna be let go at the end of the season since about the start of last season. That was cool of the rams letting him know ahead of time.

he got alex smith'd

he got alex smith'd

Or ... did Alex get Stephen Jackson'd???
Originally posted by Beeker:

he got alex smith'd

They both got Kaepernick'd
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by Beeker:

he got alex smith'd

They both got Kaepernick'd

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This division is going to be brutal. SF and SEA are already SB contenders, and the Rams are no joke either. At least we can count on 2 wins against AZ.

the cards probably just bird s**t on themselves when they heard about the trade and having to face him twice

Earlier today, Pro Football Talk wrote that the Cards would be petitioning the league to be moved back into the NFC East by the beginning of the season...
Originally posted by ace52:
I'm sure that our FO has a master plan, and they are proceeding according to it. But I've got to admit I'm a little puzzled. Going into FA, I thought that one of our areas of needs is a good pass rusher. We all saw how our D as a whole was affected when our pass rush tailed off toward the end of last year. Now, assuming that JS and AS are back to their normal selves next season, I still think that we need another quality pass rusher to put on the opposite side of the line from Aldon. Imagine the havoc we can wreck on the opposing O when they can't focus their protection on only one side. Aldon may end up having a career year that is even better than his first 2, very good, years.

Now, I've seen us watch and wait while Seattle picked up 2 pass rushers in Avril and Bennett. We didn't pull the trigger on Abraham. Now, I've heard that Dumervil may be available, but he will probably be too expensive for the Niners. Is this FO banking on the slim chance that we can get a good pass rusher who can have an immediate impact (like Aldon) through the Draft again?
Totally agree man, what a disaster. Baalke's played it cheap for 2 years in FA and it's shown. Our best chance to win a SB was the last 2 years, we should have gone all in and gotten proven impact FA's, but we didn't and it's contributed to our inability win the big one.
I disagree quite strongly with this sentiment that the Seahawks are going "all-in" and somehow jeopardizing their future.

The Seahawks have brought in Cliff Avril (20.5 combined sacks the last two years) and Michael Bennett (13 sacks combined). They is going to help their pass rush, and that does not hurt their future whatsoever. They had a ton of cap space this year and are utilizing it. That's it! These signings have practically no long-term consequences for the franchise. I mean, that would be like implying that bringing in a John Abraham or an Asomugha or a Woodson on a 1-2 year deal is going to kill us in the future. It's just simply not going to.

Harvin is an elite playmaker. Yes, there are concerns about him. Anyway, somehow, they managed to sign him for a 5-year deal with only $12M guaranteed! Think about that for a second. Dwayne Bowe got $26M guaranteed. Vincent Jackson, $26M guaranteed. Mike Wallace, $30M guaranteed.) All of those guys have a better track record then Percy, but Percy will still be in his 20's when his deal ends! Jackson will be 34. Mike Wallace will be 31. Bowe will be 33. Those guys are examples of mortgaging the future for talent now. Relatively speaking, the Seahawks have a very small guaranteed commitment. Now, of course, the Seahawks gave up a first and a third for Percy (and a 7th, but that has practically no value). That is definitely a big price to pay, make no mistake. But they did get a steal on Harvin's contract, so that sort of offsets the cost of the picks when you see what other receivers are getting on the open market.

I think the Seahawks and the 49ers were pretty comparable in overall talent heading into the offseason. And they're a younger team than us, so I think it's not unreasonable to think they they will take a small step forward (from experience) and that we will take a small step back (as a result of age, e.g. Justin Smith). Personally, I had been predicting that Seattle wins the NFC West next year at the start of the offseason. Since then, we have acquired Boldin... they have acquired Harvin, Avril and Bennett -- all solid/good players. The offseason is far from over, but... they've certainly done more to improve their team.

Quite frankly, I think they have surpassed us as of right now -- and I think it's a huge stretch to say that they have damaged their long-term outlook.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Totally agree man, what a disaster. Baalke's played it cheap for 2 years in FA and it's shown. Our best chance to win a SB was the last 2 years, we should have gone all in and gotten proven impact FA's, but we didn't and it's contributed to our inability win the big one.
I think we've had an A+ offseason. I really do. Acquired Boldin for a 6th, and we acquired potentially two second-round picks over the next two years. That is huge!

However, we have added one possible impact player -- Boldin. We also lost Goldson (overrated in my opinion, but still a good player); that was a good long-term decision by the franchise, but our D does take a step back because of it. The Seahawks have definitely added one in Harvin, and Bennett and Avril are both nothing to sneeze at. We both have improved the state of our franchises, it's just the Seahawks will see immediate returns, whereas the picks from the Smith trade may not amount to anything for a couple years. But again, this is not to say that the Seahawks have somehow damaged their future. I don't think they've done that at all.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by jreff22:
Wilson will have a s**tty 2nd year....hawks go 8-8 with a bloated contract from Harvin.

Hey! Didn't see an intro forum.. So here goes! Been a Seahawks fan since the dawn of time. I don't just attend games...I attend practices.

So...as to the reply.. Hoping seriously that Harbaugh believes Wilson will have a sophmore slump.
Originally posted by HUGGY:
Hey! Didn't see an intro forum.. So here goes! Been a Seahawks fan since the dawn of time. I don't just attend games...I attend practices.

So...as to the reply.. Hoping seriously that Harbaugh believes Wilson will have a sophmore slump.

Welcome to the madness! I personally don't think he'll have a sophmore slump, but we're getting awfully tired hearing how Wilson has arrived on a 49ers forum. Most Seahawks fans on there have already gone as far as to say he's as good as Drew Brees. The comparisons have not stopped there either. I will be very interested in seeing how defenses prepare for him and Kaepernick now that they've had an offseason to dig in. Teams figured out how to contain Vick in his prime and I'm positive Wilson and Kaep can be contained as well. It will be who can make more plays from the pocket that will ultimately win games. My money certainly is not on Wilson if thats the case. Yes he made plays from the pocket and looks like he's going to be a good one but he scrambles out way too often IMO to be a lock for Drew Brees comparisons. GO NINERS!
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Welcome to the madness! I personally don't think he'll have a sophmore slump, but we're getting awfully tired hearing how Wilson has arrived on a 49ers forum. Most Seahawks fans on there have already gone as far as to say he's as good as Drew Brees. The comparisons have not stopped there either. I will be very interested in seeing how defenses prepare for him and Kaepernick now that they've had an offseason to dig in. Teams figured out how to contain Vick in his prime and I'm positive Wilson and Kaep can be contained as well. It will be who can make more plays from the pocket that will ultimately win games. My money certainly is not on Wilson if thats the case. Yes he made plays from the pocket and looks like he's going to be a good one but he scrambles out way too often IMO to be a lock for Drew Brees comparisons. GO NINERS!
Thanks for the welcome...proud as punch to be here representing the Blue and Green! My only concern for RW is not that he will blow up but that he will burn out. This guy has a work ethic and dedication that is like some alien disease. He has infected the whole team with it. That guy has ALL our recievers down in California right now working on 2013 months before first camp. I've never heard of anything like that. Most pros take thier vacation just as seriously as the official training. Not Russell Wilson... He's studying films and working on route timing with our recievers right now..today.. I don't think he will have a slump... but his head might explode! LOL.