LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

The new Cold War (re NFC West)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by ace52:
I'm sure that our FO has a master plan, and they are proceeding according to it. But I've got to admit I'm a little puzzled. Going into FA, I thought that one of our areas of needs is a good pass rusher. We all saw how our D as a whole was affected when our pass rush tailed off toward the end of last year. Now, assuming that JS and AS are back to their normal selves next season, I still think that we need another quality pass rusher to put on the opposite side of the line from Aldon. Imagine the havoc we can wreck on the opposing O when they can't focus their protection on only one side. Aldon may end up having a career year that is even better than his first 2, very good, years.

Now, I've seen us watch and wait while Seattle picked up 2 pass rushers in Avril and Bennett. We didn't pull the trigger on Abraham. Now, I've heard that Dumervil may be available, but he will probably be too expensive for the Niners. Is this FO banking on the slim chance that we can get a good pass rusher who can have an immediate impact (like Aldon) through the Draft again?
Totally agree man, what a disaster. Baalke's played it cheap for 2 years in FA and it's shown. Our best chance to win a SB was the last 2 years, we should have gone all in and gotten proven impact FA's, but we didn't and it's contributed to our inability win the big one.
smart teams build through the draft not FA. ask the eagles how that worked out for them. we have 14 draft picks this year and should have atleast 11 or 12 next year with the smith trade and compensatory picks and will probably have more based on moves we make in this draft. and by letting guys like goldson and soap go they have room to extend crabs, kaep, aldon and other key players. i think weve had a great offseason so far. more picks, upgraded WR spot with boldin and got a top 5 talent to play on the d-line. were primed to do major damage in the draft and we will infuse this team with young talented players so we can let some of the over priced vets go in a year or two and stay salary cap healthy. everyone who wants the niners to go big in FA must not remember who strapped we were in the early 2000s that led us into damn near 10 years of s**tty football. i for one dont wanna go back to that. build thru the draft and spend moderately in FA is the only way to go
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HUGGY:
That guy has ALL our recievers down in California right now working on 2013 months before first camp. I've never heard of anything like that. Most pros take thier vacation just as seriously as the official training. Not Russell Wilson... He's studying films and working on route timing with our recievers right now..today..

You've never heard of a qb working out with his receivers in the offseason? Did you just start following the NFL this past season or something?
Originally posted by Disp:
That guy has ALL our recievers down in California right now working on 2013 months before first camp. I've never heard of anything like that. Most pros take thier vacation just as seriously as the official training. Not Russell Wilson... He's studying films and working on route timing with our recievers right now..today..

You've never heard of a qb working out with his receivers in the offseason? Did you just start following the NFL this past season or something?

I know right, I wish Kaepernick had the motivation to do something like this.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I know right, I wish Kaepernick had the motivation to do something like this.

I'm guessing Wilson saw what Kaepernick was up to and figured he'd better get his butt in gear to keep up. Evidently, Huggy hasn't been staying up on the news.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Totally agree man, what a disaster. Baalke's played it cheap for 2 years in FA and it's shown. Our best chance to win a SB was the last 2 years, we should have gone all in and gotten proven impact FA's, but we didn't and it's contributed to our inability win the big one.
I think we've had an A+ offseason. I really do. Acquired Boldin for a 6th, and we acquired potentially two second-round picks over the next two years. That is huge!

However, we have added one possible impact player -- Boldin. We also lost Goldson (overrated in my opinion, but still a good player); that was a good long-term decision by the franchise, but our D does take a step back because of it. The Seahawks have definitely added one in Harvin, and Bennett and Avril are both nothing to sneeze at. We both have improved the state of our franchises, it's just the Seahawks will see immediate returns, whereas the picks from the Smith trade may not amount to anything for a couple years. But again, this is not to say that the Seahawks have somehow damaged their future. I don't think they've done that at all.
Whether or not they've damaged their future depends on the Harvin gamble. And, it is a gamble. He's a player with a history of health problems and injuries going to a home stadium that features a cold, slippery, wet artificial surface. They've given up a first rounder plus 30 to 40 million over the next four years. If the worst happens and he has another injury, they've got over $27 million in dead money. And, now while the Seahawks don't have a pick until late in the second, the Niners will have three by then.

The Niners are sitting there with three picks in the first 63 positions and four more after that in the next couple rounds. And, this draft is thought to be the strongest on defense in many years which is exactly what the Niners need. Nobody builds any enduring success through high-priced free agents anymore. Haven't you guys been watching. Who does that and wins these days? Nobody. All the enduring contenders build through the draft and are careful with what they spend on free agents. For years now, teams making a big splash early in free agency almost always tank. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it's been lately in the NFL.
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm guessing Wilson saw what Kaepernick was up to and figured he'd better get his butt in gear to keep up. Evidently, Huggy hasn't been staying up on the news.

The pics I saw of what Kaepernick was up to was partying with skanks sucking drinks off his abs. I had no idea CK was in the film room at 6AM like Wilson has been since the day after last seasons festivities had ended. But then that's why I am here ...to get better aquainted with the only team that stands in the way of a Seahawk Super Bowl Championship. We both have most likely the best teams in the NFL right now. Our games this coming season will be epic! I bet between our two franchises we will suck up most of the Monday night and Sunday night national football airings.
  • HUGGY
Whether or not they've damaged their future depends on the Harvin gamble. And, it is a gamble. He's a player with a history of health problems and injuries going to a home stadium that features a cold, slippery, wet artificial surface. They've given up a first rounder plus 30 to 40 million over the next four years. If the worst happens and he has another injury, they've got over $27 million in dead money. And, now while the Seahawks don't have a pick until late in the second, the Niners will have three by then.

The Niners are sitting there with three picks in the first 63 positions and four more after that in the next couple rounds. And, this draft is thought to be the strongest on defense in many years which is exactly what the Niners need. Nobody builds any enduring success through high-priced free agents anymore. Haven't you guys been watching. Who does that and wins these days? Nobody. All the enduring contenders build through the draft and are careful with what they spend on free agents. For years now, teams making a big splash early in free agency almost always tank. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it's been lately in the NFL.

The "pundits" have been poo-pooing Schnieders judgement for the last couple of years until his picks have taken the field then it's all about A+ 's instead of C-'s.

Paul Allen gave the green light for a straight up push to get a Lombardi trophy this season and a couple more. So far Schneider has proved to be brilliant.. I wouldn't bet against him with what he has proven so far. Last year with Flynn we should have honestly been 8-8 and out of the playoffs. The discovery of Wilson wasn't predicted by ANYBODY. He is a straight up game changing FRANCHISE QB that came out of nowhere. None of this huge rivalry talk would even be happening without Wilson in the equasion. None of this amazing turn of events would be happening without the lucky injury to Smith and Kaepernicks installation. As a fan the whole thing is frankly stunning and as exciting as football expectations have been in Seattle and in San Francisco. I'm friggin stoked! As I imagine you all are.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Wilson is like a folk hero to Hawks fans any more. Johnny Appleseed walked coast to coast barefoot. Paul Bunyan could chop down any tree with 1 swing. Russell Wilson spends 27 hours a day practicing and watching tape haha.
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by Disp:
Wilson is like a folk hero to Hawks fans any more. Johnny Appleseed walked coast to coast barefoot. Paul Bunyan could chop down any tree with 1 swing. Russell Wilson spends 27 hours a day practicing and watching tape haha.

It's not just Wilson that walks on water anymore... Do you think the training facility in Seattle was built on Lake Washington was a co-incidence? It's been reported that Schnieder and Carroll and Wilson take long water walks in the moonlight.
To all Seahawks fans........

To quote Winston Wolf, "Let's not all start sucking each other dicks, just yet."

Both teams are loaded. Both front offices are smart and bold. Both teams have owners who are supporting whatever moves are necessary to win the Super Bowl. One team has a great head coach, the other has a good one (.....sorry, Pete). The Seahawks have made some big moves in free agency, but the Niners are the team that will dictate what happens in the draft. I don't think either fan base can say with certainty that their team is better than the other. It is too close to call.

This war will be fought at least twice in prime time and maybe once more in the playoffs. Every other fan base would kill to be in our position at this point. The next chapter will play out in late April. It's not over yet. Not by a long shot. Stay tuned................

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
To all Seahawks fans........

To quote Winston Wolf, "Let's not all start sucking each other dicks, just yet."

Both teams are loaded. Both front offices are smart and bold. Both teams have owners who are supporting whatever moves are necessary to win the Super Bowl. One team has a great head coach, the other has a good one (.....sorry, Pete). The Seahawks have made some big moves in free agency, but the Niners are the team that will dictate what happens in the draft. I don't think either fan base can say with certainty that their team is better than the other. It is too close to call.

This war will be fought at least twice in prime time and maybe once more in the playoffs. Every other fan base would kill to be in our position at this point. The next chapter will play out in late April. It's not over yet. Not by a long shot. Stay tuned................

Exactly, our fan base has to have patience. With this new CBA, I don't think it has sank in as to how much more valuable draft picks are because of what the rooks are paid and how many years of cheap labor you extract from them. You should get much more bang for your buck. Case in point Wilson, Kaepernick, and Aldon Smith. 3 franchise players for a fraction of what they are worth thus freeing up cap space to add premium talent. We got 5 top 95 draft picks to add talent. All 3 of the aforementioned players were added in this range. That is enough talent to add 5 talents like Harvin, Bennett, and Avril. I don't see why we can't be patient as the offseason progresses up until camp breaks. We have an excellent chance to add plenty of talent this spring and summer
Quick look at the offseason moves from both teams and how much both teams have invested:

Seahawks
Harvin - 3 draft picks and a brand new contract worth $ 25.5 million guaranteed
Avril - $ 15 million over 2 years
Bennett - $ 5 million for 1 year

Totals 3 picks and $ 45.5 million

They have 7 draft picks remaining

Niners
Boldin - 6th round pick and $ 6 million
Dorsey - 2yrs and $ 6 million
Dahl - only $ 800k guaranteed

Totals 1 draft pick and $ 12.8 million

The Niners have 14 draft picks remaining.

Let's not judge this offseason until all the cards have been played.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Quick look at the offseason moves from both teams and how much both teams have invested:

Seahawks
Harvin - 3 draft picks and a brand new contract worth $ 25.5 million guaranteed
Avril - $ 15 million over 2 years
Bennett - $ 5 million for 1 year

Totals 3 picks and $ 45.5 million

They have 7 draft picks remaining

Niners
Boldin - 6th round pick and $ 6 million
Dorsey - 2yrs and $ 6 million
Dahl - only $ 800k guaranteed

Totals 1 draft pick and $ 12.8 million

The Niners have 14 draft picks remaining.

Let's not judge this offseason until all the cards have been played.
i dont see why people are trippin anyway. boldin is a beast and dorcey will be a solid starter on line with justin smith and mcdonald so im sure he'll look even better playin next to these guys. dahl probably wont even start, i see him as an emergency plan if the safety we draft (hopefully in the early rounds) is not up to speed yet. niners are banking on having a great draft, they have picks to move up and down to get whoever they want. theyre building long term, the seahawks are building to not be our little sisters THIS year and they dont care what happens to them in the future. niners will still win the division this year and for the next 10 years or so while these douchebags get another couple wild card spots and fall back into obscurity once again.

The pics I saw of what Kaepernick was up to was partying with skanks sucking drinks off his abs. I had no idea CK was in the film room at 6AM like Wilson has been since the day after last seasons festivities had ended. But then that's why I am here ...to get better aquainted with the only team that stands in the way of a Seahawk Super Bowl Championship. We both have most likely the best teams in the NFL right now. Our games this coming season will be epic! I bet between our two franchises we will suck up most of the Monday night and Sunday night national football airings.
Since you're a Hawks fan, I wouldn't have expected you to know that those pictures were taken last year during the 2011 off season. Sorry, but many weeks before Wilson started working out with his receivers, Kaepernick was in Atlanta at a sports clinic working on his conditioning and on timing with three of his receivers. In fact, Kaepernick began his off season regimen barely a week after the Super Bowl and almost a month before any report of Wilson working out with his receivers.

So since you came here to get better acquainted, now you know. Nobody works harder than Colin Kaepernick. He's a fricking maniac.
And here's some news for all the puffed up Seahawks fans. The Niners are NOT the only thing standing in the way of a championship and the Seahawks are NOT the only thing standing in the way of a Niners championship.

The Seahawks have to play the Giants in NY. They've got to play the Texans in Houston and they've got to play the Colts in Indy. They've got to beat the Saints in their own house and they've not only got to contend with the Niners, but the Rams who beat them last season in St. Louis and came within 6 points of beating them in Seattle. They've also got to deal with the Vikings coming to town and grinding it out on them. So, as much as Hawks fans would like to think all they have to do is knock of the Niners, it just isn't the case. And the Niners have some other business to deal with as well. They've got to go to RFK stadium and knock off a Redskins team that will probably be healthy unlike when the Seahawks played them. And they've got to host the Falcons and Packers at home, both of whom will be looking for revenge. Seahawks fans crack me up. They seem to think this is all so simple.
Share 49ersWebzone