There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke made 2 errors this offseason

In the end its my fault for clicking on this thread. D'oh!
i want the OP to prove it.
Originally posted by boast:
i want the OP to prove it.

You can't disprove a negative
Too bad we owe Whitner cash because he got scorched in the post season. Goldson really is no better. Nobody wants to admit it but both of our safety's suck in pass coverage. I know it hurts to hear that but it's the truth.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Too bad we owe Whitner cash because he got scorched in the post season. Goldson really is no better. Nobody wants to admit it but both of our safety's suck in pass coverage. I know it hurts to hear that but it's the truth.

I have confidence they will be replaced by the time we play in the new stadium
Originally posted by BayArea:
Too bad we owe Whitner cash because he got scorched in the post season. Goldson really is no better. Nobody wants to admit it but both of our safety's suck in pass coverage. I know it hurts to hear that but it's the truth.

If we sign Sean Smith in FA and draft a CB (which I think we will), I think Cully moves to FS where he could be a Merton Hanks type ballhawk. Not the hitter that Goldson is, but rather the pure FS. I love me some Goldson but Whitner and he both laid the wood last year. Whitner just doing that while there is coverage over the top would be fine by me.
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Mar 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,468
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree on the ASmith move.

Totally disgaree on Gamble and Goldson.

As I understand it, Gamble wanted to be close to his family.

Goldson - IMO, not worth the money he was asking. AND not worth the impact it would have on our upcoming FA signings. Crabs, ADavis, Iupati, Kap.

Also, IMO, Goldson's performance is very good and he hits like a tank - His pass covering ability sucks. No if's and's or bi=ut's. he can't cover well.

That leaves us 2 S who can't cover passes.

Baalke is a VERY smart guy, NOT perfect but way ahead of what we here in the zone can fathome.

YUP!! I'd rather have a guy that covers well and deflects/intercepts passes than a guy that can (on occasion) knock the daylights out of someone. Although, if it were guaranteed that he would knock a receiver out of the game (early) at most games, then I'll take him, but that's not a given. We need someone back there that covers well with good (CLOSING SPEED)!
A FS with 14 INT's in 6 years doesn't exactly make him a ball hawk especially when 6 of them came in one season, or 5 forced fumbles for that matter. I think Goldson would make an excellent SS because the guy is great against the run and LOVES to deliver the hard hits. Do you want to pay almost $8 million a year to an undersized Linebacker?
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree on the ASmith move.

Totally disgaree on Gamble and Goldson.

As I understand it, Gamble wanted to be close to his family.

Goldson - IMO, not worth the money he was asking. AND not worth the impact it would have on our upcoming FA signings. Crabs, ADavis, Iupati, Kap.

Also, IMO, Goldson's performance is very good and he hits like a tank - His pass covering ability sucks. No if's and's or bi=ut's. he can't cover well.

That leaves us 2 S who can't cover passes.

Baalke is a VERY smart guy, NOT perfect but way ahead of what we here in the zone can fathome.

YUP!! I'd rather have a guy that covers well and deflects/intercepts passes than a guy that can (on occasion) knock the daylights out of someone. Although, if it were guaranteed that he would knock a receiver out of the game (early) at most games, then I'll take him, but that's not a given. We need someone back there that covers well with good (CLOSING SPEED)!

LV "Jay" -- 1 post

"agreeing" with

Las Vegas (LV) Wally

hmmmmmmm
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Mar 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM ]
I don't understand we can't give Goldson a contract extension because we have other guys to sign but we have made calls on Sean Smith and Wes Welker.
Making calls on players and giving Goldson a ridiculously big extension are the same things? LOL.
  • kent
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 36
The only issue I see with these moves is the unfortunate timing with Gamble. I would imagine that he has a pretty good idea of the 49ers draft board which would not be something you would want another team to have prior to the draft. I'm sure this was discussed before he was allowed to move on, however.
Originally posted by kent:
The only issue I see with these moves is the unfortunate timing with Gamble. I would imagine that he has a pretty good idea of the 49ers draft board which would not be something you would want another team to have prior to the draft. I'm sure this was discussed before he was allowed to move on, however.

I think the draft board, assuming there is one at this point, is in such a state of flux given FA has not even begun. Gamble won't give them anything that is not already on the Internet, IMHO

Plus, we haven't had any pro days, which are HUGE.

I think there might be a "board" post combine but that is by no means the board that we will 6 weeks from now. Plus, teams bring in players, etc.
You made one big mistake...in saying Baalke made two of 'em. Do you realize how many teams have been denied interviews with our coaches? Yes, Gamble's a very good front office man...but this was a chance for him to go home. Baalke exercised a sense of fair play and I have no problem with it. As for Goldson, he's his own worst enemy...wanting top FS dollars. He's a good player, but not a great one...i.e. he's no Ed Reed. He was exposed in pass coverage during the playoffs/SB. So, it made no sense to franchise him again, given as has been pointed out TB has a number of corps players that should be extended. IMHO, a smart FA signing would be Glover Quin, a former CB but now a rising star at SS. Sign him, cut Whitner and our pass defense is improved. Cutting Whitner would save $4M in cap space, arguably enough to pay Quin. There are a number of excellent S in the draft...plus we have a few S on the roster who just might step into the FS role. As Baalke has said several times, you can't sign everybody when you over pay any player. Words to live by in the NFL...now go and apologize to Mr Baalke.
TheStick45, What I'm saying is if we can afford to bring in a Smith or Welker we could certainly afford to give Goldson a contract extension. Both Smith and Welker will be looking for a big contract.