LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Baalke made 2 errors this offseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Baalke has been great and getting 2 good draft picks for Smith was incredible but he's made 2 mistakes this offseason. The first was letting Tom Gamble leave and take a lateral position with the Eagles. The 2nd was not placing the franchise tag on Goldson. It's fine if he didn't want to give Goldson a longterm commitment but with a team ready for another super bowl run you don't start to go with rookies or players who don't know your system. Should've franchised Goldson and drafted his repacement to learn for a year. Goldson is as good as gone and Baalke let the wrong safety get out of town.
Supposedly, there was a handshake agreement with Goldson last year, that he would not be franchised for a second consecutive year.

And Gamble has Philadelphia roots. Makes a ton of sense from a personal standpoint.

Basically, I disapprove of this thread.
[ Edited by TheStick45 on Mar 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
They don't have the cap space to tag Goldson, and Gamble WANTED to leave. Sheesh, nevermind..................
If someone wants to leave, I don't think Baalke could have stopped them. I would nope it was not a money issue as to Gamble. As for the franchise tag on Goldson, I understand why he did it. Goldson has wanted a huge deal for a few years now. If we tagged him again, he probably would have been pi$$ed. He wants to spread his wings, determine his FA value (like 2 years ago although now he has 2 Pro Bowls under his belt).

He might get the killer long term deal that he has been after but Baalke is trying to juggle long term cap issues while knowing we are going to have to extend A. Davis, Iupati, Crabs, Aldon, Kaep . . .
I love how us fans think we understand what is happening inside 4949 centennial blvd. We Have No Idea!
Wrong they respect Goldson too much to do that and they are waiting to see if they can match interests out there. The guy doesn't want the tag so your asking for trouble giving away close to 8 mil for him.
If he had been franchised he probably holds out and creates a distraction. I think that there confident he can be replaced either in the draft or free agency.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
The team didnot franchise Goldson because they will extend one of these three Crabtree, A Davis or Iupati this year and then next year they will probably consider extending Kaepernick.

I hate to see Goldson go but the 49ers had to make a tough decesion and are in position to draft a saftey this year. C
LOL waste of a thread
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Baalke has been great and getting 2 good draft picks for Smith was incredible but he's made 2 mistakes this offseason. The first was letting Tom Gamble leave and take a lateral position with the Eagles. The 2nd was not placing the franchise tag on Goldson. It's fine if he didn't want to give Goldson a longterm commitment but with a team ready for another super bowl run you don't start to go with rookies or players who don't know your system. Should've franchised Goldson and drafted his repacement to learn for a year. Goldson is as good as gone and Baalke let the wrong safety get out of town.

Gamble is an East Coast guy. He wanted to be closer to his family. Baalke and Jed tell him he can't make the lateral to Philadelphia and now they have an unmotivated personnel guy on their staff. They'll bring in new blood after the draft when teams are willing to let guys move around.

Goldson's tag would have been $7.45 Million. It wasn't economically sane to pay him that much again when the team has pressing issues at Wide Receiver, Defensive Tackle and Defensive End.

But I'm sure you've been a General Manager of tons of franchises on Madden so I'm no second guessing you.

Baalke football IQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SanFranFanfrmVA IQ.
Agree on the ASmith move.

Totally disgaree on Gamble and Goldson.

As I understand it, Gamble wanted to be close to his family.

Goldson - IMO, not worth the money he was asking. AND not worth the impact it would have on our upcoming FA signings. Crabs, ADavis, Iupati, Kap.

Also, IMO, Goldson's performance is very good and he hits like a tank - His pass covering ability sucks. No if's and's or bi=ut's. he can't cover well.

That leaves us 2 S who can't cover passes.

Baalke is a VERY smart guy, NOT perfect but way ahead of what we here in the zone can fathome.
First nomination for worst football related thread of year.
with all the FAs that need to be resigned and all the extensions we have to make, Goldson is the odd man out. I think baalke is hoping that it turns out to be like the 2011 offseason when he tried the FA market and was deeply disappointed
With the interest in Sean Smith, if we sign him, I could see the team moving Cully to FS where he would be a beast. Not the hitter that Goldson is of course (Whitner will do that) but the pure ballhawk in centerfield. Draft another CB.
Share 49ersWebzone