There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

Is Parys Haralson going to be released?

• buck
  • Veteran
I think many of us are expecting him to released.

If the team is going to release, I expect it to be soon.

Releasing him early will improve his chances of getting a decent contract.
I think they bring him back and just cut his salary. I mean who on the roster is a proven back up that can start at his position? Not to mention the other guys are d coming back off major injuries. Let him compete with the youngsters in camp and the best man wins.
There is no depth at that position. I don't see them releasing him at this point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
only way if he agrees to a reduced salary. i would also like to see what the two kids we drafted and got hurt can do for us. in order for last years draft to NOT be labeled as a fail, those two guys jenkins and looney have to show us something this coming year. i am keeping a open mind
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they bring him back and just cut his salary. I mean who on the roster is a proven back up that can start at his position? Not to mention the other guys are d coming back off major injuries. Let him compete with the youngsters in camp and the best man wins.

I think your point is well taken. But, he is due to make $2.57 million in 2013.

Would releasing him help us to extend a core player, such Iupati or Crabtree?
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think your point is well taken. But, he is due to make $2.57 million in 2013.

Would releasing him help us to extend a core player, such Iupati or Crabtree?

Since they would be working out 2014 money for Iupati or Crabtree, they don't have to release Haralson this season to free up that money.
Why would Haralson be released? He's a quality veteran that is on the final year of his deal. 49ers aren't going to be in dire straits for cap space this season, so why not keep him onboard?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why would Haralson be released? He's a quality veteran that is on the final year of his deal. 49ers aren't going to be in dire straits for cap space this season, so why not keep him onboard?
Right plus 2.57 mill isn't exactly going to strap us down cap wise. I personally would like to see him stay, he's a quality player even when starting, decent pass rusher very good run stopper. We could use the depth more than anything.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Ditto, keep Haralson, draft Chase Thomas out of stanford, if he and either Darius Fleming or Cam Johnson beat out Haralson, he would be cut b4 the season.

It is all about competition.
Just me, but if you went an entire season without a guy and ended up a few yards away from winning a world title, that guy is replaceable. Even more so when he counts nearly $3M against your cap. I've been a fan of Haralson's since his days at UT, but he needs to be replaced by someone younger/cheaper.
I think that would be bad, but what will be saved against the cap if we cut him?
Originally I thought he was a lock to be gone...but now that Free Agency is so close and he is still here I am starting to doubt. Maybe we keep him and let him spell the OLB positions for a year? Would keep us from having to draft that spot. He is a little pricey for that roll, but has been with us a long time. If we can afford I wouldnt be too upset to let him play out at least another year. You still can let him go if you need the money for a free agent...but I am not convinced we are pursuing any that will cost too much money.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally I thought he was a lock to be gone...but now that Free Agency is so close and he is still here I am starting to doubt. Maybe we keep him and let him spell the OLB positions for a year? Would keep us from having to draft that spot. He is a little pricey for that roll, but has been with us a long time. If we can afford I wouldnt be too upset to let him play out at least another year. You still can let him go if you need the money for a free agent...but I am not convinced we are pursuing any that will cost too much money.
maybe they will give him a offer over the weekend that is below what he is projected to make thinking he likes it here, knows he is on a good team and thus keeping him from being a free agent??? i am not very smart on how that stuff works
I think it is possible for salary cap purposes! also with the bounty of picks they might want a bunch of young fresh legs to rush the passer!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Got to keep him for depth.