LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I may have missed this but if we were to trade for Revis, dont we have to sign him to a deal right then and there? I thought i read this somewhere. That takes away the "1 year rental" mentality.
Originally posted by Beezy33:
I may have missed this but if we were to trade for Revis, dont we have to sign him to a deal right then and there? I thought i read this somewhere. That takes away the "1 year rental" mentality.

No he is under contract for this year.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
I think we should trade pick 63 and extend Revis now. 4 years, $48 million should do it. Put some protective language in the contract to protect us and give us an out after next year in case Revis is just not close to the Revis of old. Because he'll never have a chance to win anything on the Jets, the only thing he can try to win at is being the highest paid defensive player in football. I think if he were a San Francisco 49er, he would be ok just being the highest paid CB in the league.

Second, I think if we want to, we can afford him. Think about it...Goldson is gone. Maybe Delanie. We should let Soap and RJF go as well. We should cut Haralson and Manningham too because of his injury. After next season is over, we cut Whitner and Rogers, and don't extend Tarrel Brown. We also cut Goodwin as well. So Culliver and Revis will be our starting corners with two new safeties that we should draft in this year's draft, with the FS draftee starting this year in place of Goldson. We also draft a CB this year to play nickel with Perrish Cox and we're good.

So FS draftee, SS draftee, CB draftee, Culliver , Revis in the secondary. That is not too pricey IMO, and costs less than our current secondary. NT draftee, RayMac, and J. Smith (who will also not be around more than a couple more years prob and he'll be off the books) on the D-line. Then extend Aldon after this season. And don't forget Gore only has a couple years left probably and his cost will be gone (hopefully replaced by Lattimore). Akers saves a lot as well.

I think we can extend Aldon, Kap, Crabs, Iupati, and Davis if we make the cuts mentioned above. So in 2013 going into 2014, we will have new K, C, 2nd TE, FS, SS, CB, NT, and possibly DE. The players these new draftees are replacing cost A LOT of money. Look at all the cash saved from churning out all these players:

1. Whitner
2. Goldson
3. Rogers
4. T. Brown
5. Soap
6. RJF
7. Moss
8. Goodwin
9. Walker
10. Manningham
11. Akers
12. Haralson

I think we can afford Revis at $12m/year, IF we want him of course and he agrees, which I think he would.

I dont think Revis is worth the $$$ for all that loss. I think he's the best corner in the league, but I still wouldnt put him above Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey.

Id give him the 1 year and see how far he gets us. If he can return to form and help the defense stay dominant (even w/o Goldson), then Id figure to give him a longer deal. But if he's just a good corner, then Id pass.

Saw this on NFL.com, like how Spencer and Franklin also got signed in FA.
REVIS VS HARVIN OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRABTREE VS SHERMAN LEGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WILLIS VS LYNCH DA FUQ? KAEPERNICK VS WILSO :0 INTENTIALLY LEFT THE "N" OUT OF WILSON CUZ "WILSO" SOUND BETTER HARBAUGH VS CARROL ITS BOUT TO BE RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is Spencer still in the league?

One year rental of Revis would be ideal b/c his contract demands are on another level
Originally posted by lamontb:

One year rental of Revis would be ideal b/c his contract demands are on another level

played with the raiders last year, 2 games played in, both started, 3 tackles, 0 ints

Revis is signed for 1 year and can't be tagged the next year. He could hold out after being traded to get a long term deal done. Either way don't like giving up a high pick for a 1 year rental. To me having him would put way too much pressure on us and would create a ton of negative media buzz as well.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by lamontb:

played with the raiders last year, 2 games played in, both started, 3 tackles, 0 ints

Revis is signed for 1 year and can't be tagged the next year. He could hold out after being traded to get a long term deal done. Either way don't like giving up a high pick for a 1 year rental. To me having him would put way too much pressure on us and would create a ton of negative media buzz as well.

I could be wrong but I think there is something in his contract that says if he holds out the current deal is extended. Not sure of the the exact wording but I don't think he would hold out this year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i think this is gonna happen. 9ers have been too quite thus far.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i think this is gonna happen. 9ers have been too quite thus far.

Not sure how I feel about Revis. The talent is there but he is a money money money guy. Although signing Revis would shut up all the giddy Seacock fans right now.

Jets fan here.
You guys are under-rating him as a player. He's not just good... he's tremendous.
Your pass defense quite honestly was lacking the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs.
If he comes back to form, he'll best player on your entire team by a pretty big margin.

He's going to cost you more than many of you are planning, though... a 3rd rounder is never happening...
Originally posted by nyjetdude:
Jets fan here.
You guys are under-rating him as a player. He's not just good... he's tremendous.
Your pass defense quite honestly was lacking the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs.
If he comes back to form, he'll best player on your entire team by a pretty big margin.

He's going to cost you more than many of you are planning, though... a 3rd rounder is never happening...

Lol
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Jets fan here.

Corner maybe, but c'mon man, we have the two best MLB's in the league.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Corner maybe, but c'mon man, we have the two best MLB's in the league.

Not to mention our o-line. And Justin Smith, who is in my objective opinion, the muthaf****kin man.

Which is why this probably isn't happening. Not a chance we're giving up a 1st rounder for a one year rental, or a 1st rounder + $15M/year on an extension to one player.
Share 49ersWebzone