LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Read 'em & weep. This guy is NOT for us. Unless you want to destroy the franchsie like the Jets did.

Excellent article!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future
you forgot ?
IBTM
What rational person thought Revis was for the 49ers?

He costs way too much money, is far too much of a diva, and it remains to be seen how he'll play after the injury.

I hope the 49ers can find a player in the draft who becomes anything like a healthy Revis.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

He costs way too much money, is far too much of a diva, and it remains to be seen how he'll play after the injury.

I hope the 49ers can find a player in the draft who becomes anything like a healthy Revis.

He actually doesn't cost that much money for the 2013 year ($6M cap figure, which is cheaper than Carlos Rogers). If he plays back into form, he'll command $10-$12M per year as a 28 year-old free agent in 2014 and he'd be worth it. If he doesn't get back to where he was, whoever he ends up playing for this year is only on the line for that $6M. That's it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He actually doesn't cost that much money for the 2013 year ($6M cap figure, which is cheaper than Carlos Rogers). If he plays back into form, he'll command $10-$12M per year as a 28 year-old free agent in 2014 and he'd be worth it. If he doesn't get back to where he was, whoever he ends up playing for this year is only on the line for that $6M. That's it.

Agree the only factor if he becomes a 49er is what the Jets want for him that is it. Baalke won't offer a huge deal for him but I like our chances!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Agree the only factor if he becomes a 49er is what the Jets want for him that is it. Baalke won't offer a huge deal for him but I like our chances!

Exactly. If they want too much for Revis, then eff them....they can keep him. But if they're reasonable in their demands knowing that nobody in their right mind would give up a whole lot for Revis not knowing how he'll respond to rehab, then it might make sense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Read 'em & weep. This guy is NOT for us. Unless you want to destroy the franchsie like the Jets did.

Excellent article!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future

Article does a good job explaining why the Jets have little leverage in trade talks. If Baalke is treating this as a 1 year rental, then there is no way that giving up a mid-round pick will destroy the franchise. (My hope is that Baalke does not give up more than a mid-round pick).
Got my Revis Jersey ordered

Originally posted by thl408:
Article does a good job explaining why the Jets have little leverage in trade talks. If Baalke is treating this as a 1 year rental, then there is no way that giving up a mid-round pick will destroy the franchise. (My hope is that Baalke does not give up more than a mid-round pick).

If Revis walks the Jets get a 3rd round comp pick so they aren't going to trade him for a mid round pick. Any team that trades for him at bare minimum the conversation would start at a 2nd.

The Jets having him on the roster does create some distractions with the media but if you're the Jets you know Revis can't hold out and has to play his best football so unless your getting at least a 2nd and some change you're better off just keeping him and having him help your team.

Ultimately I think the Jets wind up having to keep him and wait till the trading deadline where he can prove he's healthy and can play at a high level and you might get a contender that gets hit with the injury bug and needs a CB like Revis even if it's a rental. Like us for example in that we might be more inclined to swing a deal if say Justin Smith went down or a couple of CBs were out for an extended amount of time.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
If Revis walks the Jets get a 3rd round comp pick so they aren't going to trade him for a mid round pick. Any team that trades for him at bare minimum the conversation would start at a 2nd.

The Jets having him on the roster does create some distractions with the media but if you're the Jets you know Revis can't hold out and has to play his best football so unless your getting at least a 2nd and some change you're better off just keeping him and having him help your team.

Ultimately I think the Jets wind up having to keep him and wait till the trading deadline where he can prove he's healthy and can play at a high level and you might get a contender that gets hit with the injury bug and needs a CB like Revis even if it's a rental. Like us for example in that we might be more inclined to swing a deal if say Justin Smith went down or a couple of CBs were out for an extended amount of time.

Agreed. Earlier in the thread I did mention that it made no sense for the Jets to trade him for a mid round pick for the reason you stated. He can walk after 13-14 and they'd still get a comp pick. So the question becomes does Baalke trade a 3rd for him. I hope not. Not because I don't think he is worth it, even for one year, but because no one is sure what kind of Revis you are getting. How much will his knee injury affect him?

The scenario you put forth is realistic. Teams need to know what they are getting if they commit a 2nd rounder to acquire him.

Very few big names get traded mid-season in football, especially one with as many extenuating circumstances as Revis, so that's not likely. But I agree that the most likely scenario is that he stays in NY this year. If he regains his form, the Jets can franchise/trade him for much more than they would get now, re-sign him to a big contract or let him walk for a 3rd round comp pick in 2015. If he doesn't regain his form, they let him walk while only paying $6M for this year.

So the Jets have very little leverage in this situation, but Revis has even less. The only REAL card he has to play is to regain his form...that's pretty much it.

Very few big names get traded mid-season in football, especially one with as many extenuating circumstances as Revis, so that's not likely. But I agree that the most likely scenario is that he stays in NY this year. If he regains his form, the Jets can franchise/trade him for much more than they would get now, re-sign him to a big contract or let him walk for a 3rd round comp pick in 2015. If he doesn't regain his form, they let him walk while only paying $6M for this year.

So the Jets have very little leverage in this situation, but Revis has even less. The only REAL card he has to play is to regain his form...that's pretty much it.

Wouldnt be worth it for the Jets to franchise him. They'd be in the bag for 9+ mil and they'd be stuck with a disgruntled employee. This is probably why they're shopping him in the first place. He's not worth anything more than one more year, and even with that they're paying 6 mil for a guy returning from an ACL injury. All this on a roster that is pretty much in rebuild mode.

Im going opposite. I think the Jets are VERY likely to deal him for the highest bidder, and I think the Niners are going to be a frontrunner in all this. For one, it was a Jets source that brought up the Niners as a trade partner in the first place, and two Im judging by JH's "killer instinct" mentality over the past 2 seasons (flying out to watch Manning / benching a hot Alex for Kaep).
Revis can notbe franchised.
Share 49ersWebzone