There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

The secondary production starts with the DLine. The secondary played will during the season. We were one of the top secondaries in the league during the regular season...........THEN..........J Smith got hurt. Our DL wasn't getting to the QB fast enough anymore and the secondary could not hold their coverages after the 5+ second range. Our secondary is good enough, they just need help from the DL. We need to get some fresh bodies to rotate in during the game to keep J Smith and A Smith fresh in the 4th quarter.

I mean regardless if J Smith didn't get hurt, our DL starters were playing 95%+ of the snaps? Thats too much if we want to keep players fresh for the playoffs.

I'm all for signing someone like Cullen Jenkins before Revis.
[ Edited by Baldie on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM ]
I was watching ESPN yesterday and they talked extensively about where Revis would go and how much it would take to get him. They were metioning at least a 1st round selection along with a late 2nd or early third and then something additional (picks /players). Going by speculation in NY and on their fan websites, it would be considerably more that what the niners got for Smith.

I'm not sure about what they could get, but there is some logic to it - arguably the best CB in the NFL is worth more on the market than a QB who, while he had a couple of good stretches, was constantly on the verge of losing his starting job on a team which, until the last two years, was in the bottom third of the league.

These posts that say he will only cost a 2nd /3rd and some late rounders confuse me.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I was watching ESPN yesterday and they talked extensively about where Revis would go and how much it would take to get him. They were metioning at least a 1st round selection along with a late 2nd or early third and then something additional (picks /players). Going by speculation in NY and on their fan websites, it would be considerably more that what the niners got for Smith.

I'm not sure about what they could get, but there is some logic to it - arguably the best CB in the NFL is worth more on the market than a QB who, while he had a couple of good stretches, was constantly on the verge of losing his starting job on a team which, until the last two years, was in the bottom third of the league.

These posts that say he will only cost a 2nd /3rd and some late rounders confuse me.

Because the Jets have 0 leverage along with very minimal interest in Revis so chances are they aren't going to get market value for him.

Revis is coming off an ACL injury and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league along with not being able to slap the franchise tag on him so the teams that are willing and able to do that and give up a bounty of picks to the Jets is going to be very small.

The reason why we're so heavily linked to Revis is our desire for CB help and the fact we have plenty of picks to make the trade with it having little impact on our draft. Also we're pretty much the only team that could use Revis right now as we're in the thick of things for the Super Bowl.

The Bucs can certainly do it but they aren't exactly a CB away from being major contenders so there is really no reason for them to give up the draft picks to the Jets when it's best to just wait till he hits free agency so that why you keep your picks, see how he bounces back from the ACL injury, and than give him the contract you were going to give him anyways if you traded for him.

That goes for most of the rumored teams as well as there really isn't any major motivation to give up the picks since they need them for their own rebuilding process.

So the Jets really only viable market for Revis is the 49ers. With that said it'll at least cost a 2nd and some change. The Jets get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks so there is really not any motivation to do it for anything less than that. If they get a 2nd and some other picks it's more than they could come away with the feeling they got more than if he walked and something to work with in rebuilding.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

If I was an NFL GM I would not give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Revis. Difference between Revis and the Alex Smith trade is that, the QB position is far more important than good CB, also Revis holds out when he doesn't get what he wants and hes coming off a season ending injury. A 2nd round pick is thee most I would give for Revis, his trade value will drop even more so if or when Nmandi Asomugha gets released. Why push for Revis and his high demands when the market will consist of Sean Smith, Antoine Cason, Derek Cox and Quentin Jammer sure Revis is far superior but they will come much cheaper and can be #1 CBs on most teams.
Baalke is great. He will look into the big name players, but if the contract demands or draft pick compensation gets to high he will bail.
There's no way we trade a 1st or 2nd for him or pay him 16mil a yr. The Jets have no leverage right now. Revis is coming off a major injury with only a year left on his contract and big demands. They've gotten to the point that they will have to trade him. Revis wants to be a 49er so hopefully he came down on his salary demands when they discussed a long term contract at the combine. I doubt it. The 49ers supposedly said they want to do something day one in FA.
That means Ballke will agree to terms with one of the other to CB's like Keenan Lewis. They then go to the Jets with a low ball offer something like a 4th and 5th this year and a 3rd next year. They take it or we sign a CB effectively closing forever the only real market for him. We'll probably go plan B and pass on him.
One year rental! Get us a ring then let him go!
49ers are now a team of destination desire for FAs due to their success, so Baalke doesn't have to over pay. If Revis is too expensive there are a number of other CBs who could fit into the niners defense. They do need a guy who loves supporting the run defense.

I agree with you Kolohe, that a first and second would be too high, but those are the highest numbers I've heard the pundits throw around and see that as the asking price or starting point. The real number should be lower.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
If I was an NFL GM I would not give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Revis. Difference between Revis and the Alex Smith trade is that, the QB position is far more important than good CB, also Revis holds out when he doesn't get what he wants and hes coming off a season ending injury. A 2nd round pick is thee most I would give for Revis, his trade value will drop even more so if or when Nmandi Asomugha gets released. Why push for Revis and his high demands when the market will consist of Sean Smith, Antoine Cason, Derek Cox and Quentin Jammer sure Revis is far superior but they will come much cheaper and can be #1 CBs on most teams.
So what hotel will Revis be staying in?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Same one Adalius Thomas did
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

he's not a FA, no visits unless deal is done

Revis value in a vacuum would be a first and a second.

We aren't in a vacuum.

1) ACL.
2) One year on contract.
3) Can't be franchised.
4) Demanding 16 mil per year.
5) Jets are actively shopping him.
6) History of holdouts.

ALL of the above lower his value.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Revis value in a vacuum would be a first and a second.

We aren't in a vacuum.

1) ACL.
2) One year on contract.
3) Can't be franchised.
4) Demanding 16 mil per year.
5) Jets are actively shopping him.
6) History of holdouts.

ALL of the above lower his value.

Yes. And there are other options for instance in the draft, whereas at the qb position, as we frequently had to remind several posters, there was very little else a qb-hungry team could do.
If they're going to trade picks, I'd rather they trade to move up in the first so that they can get one of the two top corners. I agree with Grant Cohen on this - either Milliner or Rhodes (which they could probably get into the teens to select) can step right in and be a productive cover corner at a low cost with a long career ahead of him. In fact, they probably have enough picks to move up in the first and the second. They could get a top notch starting corner and one of the better defensive linemen with their first two picks that way.
Baalke's WAYYY too smart.

Marvin has a great a list and I haven't seen any other intelligent input as to why we's sign Revis.
While I would love to have Revis as a 1 year rental, don't want to mortgage the future either. Those that bring up the Dieon Sanders effect are forgetting that we did not pay any compensation for getting him. Plus we all know even if he does make a come back the money he wants is absurbed and will affect team chemistry and cause envy. Not to mention we will need that money to resign CK who is far more valuable to our future than Revis.