LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cools
  • Veteran
I'd rather use the money that Revis would get and the draft pick(s) on...

Resigning- Goldson, Walker and RJF
Throw in a free agent WR like L.Murphy

and grab a CB early, like J.Banks
Do not want...
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DVDA:
He's worth a one year rental if the price is right. The 49ers wouldn't lose much by trading their original 2nd or one of the 3rds and some late round scraps for him. After the one year rental, Revis signs a huge deal with someone else and the 49ers get a 2nd or 3rd round comp. pick. This is the only way I see Baalke trading for him. The 49ers are smart enough to avoid paying a defensive player 16 million per year, so there is no way they trade for him as a long term solution.
Give up a 2nd rounder for a one-year rental in a draft where most of the talent is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Basically they could be foregoing a potential long-term starter at CB, NT, WR or another position for a guy coming off a major injury, one that is potentially more severe for a cornerback, with no guarantee of him performing at a high level, only to see him walk off into the sunset at the end of the season. It'd be one thing if he was not coming off the ACL tear and had just played well, but you're taking a huge risk, even if he passes all medical tests, there's a risk that he simply doesn't perform as might be expected.

Screw that.

Either your reading skills are lacking or you're too busy ignoring the rest of the post because you only see what you want to see. When he leaves the 49ers after one year the 49ers get a comp. pick for him. That means they would get the best corner in football in a contract year and they get a pick in the next draft. To simplify this for you:

49ers get:
Revis
2014 comp pick in 2nd or 3rd round

49ers lose:
2013 2nd or 3rd round pick
2013 late round picks

Now does this make sense to you?

Well, you got pwned on this post. And just to finish it off, it is unnecessarily aggressive and inflammatory. Nothing in the previous post justified this overreaction. Take note.
You can't just discard the guy coming off an injury. As much as you claim that he'll be prime 2009 Revis...4 years later, after a torn ACL, I counter with, what happens if he's unproductive, struggles, now you're paying him a bunch of money, you gave up a pretty good draft pick that could have turned out to be a starter for someone else...and you're really no further along in the CB regard than you were last season.

i am not discarding it. i am saying a torn ACL is no longer an 18 month injury.
then he was still an excellent CB the last 3 years. also, being fundamentally sound at his position makes me less worried about a short term loss of speed and explosion.
i am sorry 6 million is not a lot of money when it comes down to it.

and i have said the loss of draft pick will be minimal when you take into account the compensatory pick if he walks.
you will be losing roughly the value of a 4th and a 6th for an all pro player. and considering the niners have way too many picks in this draft to ever make the team, i believe that is a minimal loss, after all 2 players picked in those spots likely get cut.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
i am not discarding it. i am saying a torn ACL is no longer an 18 month injury.
then he was still an excellent CB the last 3 years. also, being fundamentally sound at his position makes me less worried about a short term loss of speed and explosion.
i am sorry 6 million is not a lot of money when it comes down to it.

and i have said the loss of draft pick will be minimal when you take into account the compensatory pick if he walks.
you will be losing roughly the value of a 4th and a 6th for an all pro player. and considering the niners have way too many picks in this draft to ever make the team, i believe that is a minimal loss, after all 2 players picked in those spots likely get cut.

If you trade a 2nd round pick in this year's draft, all you would expect to get is a 3rd rounder in 2015? Because if they're going for 2 years down the road, they might as well try for a 1st rounder instead.

No, I totally disagree, I don't want any part of Revis on this team. He can go off to Denver or Tampa Bay or wherever else. I think this team is in a great position right now, lots of young players and can be successful with adding affordable young players through the draft and not disrupting the team by bringing in a one year rental that may not even perform all that well. They made it to the Superbowl this year, with some better depth next year, a playmaker or two more on offense, they'll be a viable threat to win it all again without having to sacrifice their current philosophy or take a flyer on a guy like Revis.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Second round compensatory pick, that gave me a laugh. They don't even exist.

JDT 6 mil is a lot of money when we'll only have around 12-14 mil in cap space after the Alex trade is finalized. We're not cap strapped, but we definitely don't have a lot of cap flexibility.
[ Edited by Hopper on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Second round compensatory pick, that gave me a laugh. They don't even exist.

JDT 6 mil is a lot of money when we'll only have around 12-14 mil in cap space after the Alex trade is finalized. We're not cap strapped, but we definitely don't have a lot of cap flexibility.

I think they cut haralson. And then re-sign goldson+cut whitner. Barring a ridiculous contract offer to goldson from someone else.
If you trade a 2nd round pick in this year's draft, all you would expect to get is a 3rd rounder in 2015? Because if they're going for 2 years down the road, they might as well try for a 1st rounder instead.

No, I totally disagree, I don't want any part of Revis on this team. He can go off to Denver or Tampa Bay or wherever else. I think this team is in a great position right now, lots of young players and can be successful with adding affordable young players through the draft and not disrupting the team by bringing in a one year rental that may not even perform all that well. They made it to the Superbowl this year, with some better depth next year, a playmaker or two more on offense, they'll be a viable threat to win it all again without having to sacrifice their current philosophy or take a flyer on a guy like Revis.

Not sure about your point to the 1st part.

Ans I agree with a lot of what you said. I just believe we shoulder try to bump everyone down instead of just replacing tramaine brock.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Don't want Revis.
i would roll dice on him for a non 1st or 2nd pick

You can't just discard the guy coming off an injury. As much as you claim that he'll be prime 2009 Revis...4 years later, after a torn ACL, I counter with, what happens if he's unproductive, struggles, now you're paying him a bunch of money, you gave up a pretty good draft pick that could have turned out to be a starter for someone else...and you're really no further along in the CB regard than you were last season.

Dude....

WTH

You can play what if....with every move in football.

For every Hall of fame CB that have not recovered from injury....I can provide 100s of failed draft picks.

there are real reasons not to want revis...besides what ifs
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
The secondary production starts with the DLine. The secondary played will during the season. We were one of the top secondaries in the league during the regular season...........THEN..........J Smith got hurt. Our DL wasn't getting to the QB fast enough anymore and the secondary could not hold their coverages after the 5+ second range. Our secondary is good enough, they just need help from the DL. We need to get some fresh bodies to rotate in during the game to keep J Smith and A Smith fresh in the 4th quarter.

I mean regardless if J Smith didn't get hurt, our DL starters were playing 95%+ of the snaps? Thats too much if we want to keep players fresh for the playoffs.

I'm all for signing someone like Cullen Jenkins before Revis.
[ Edited by Baldie on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM ]
I was watching ESPN yesterday and they talked extensively about where Revis would go and how much it would take to get him. They were metioning at least a 1st round selection along with a late 2nd or early third and then something additional (picks /players). Going by speculation in NY and on their fan websites, it would be considerably more that what the niners got for Smith.

I'm not sure about what they could get, but there is some logic to it - arguably the best CB in the NFL is worth more on the market than a QB who, while he had a couple of good stretches, was constantly on the verge of losing his starting job on a team which, until the last two years, was in the bottom third of the league.

These posts that say he will only cost a 2nd /3rd and some late rounders confuse me.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I was watching ESPN yesterday and they talked extensively about where Revis would go and how much it would take to get him. They were metioning at least a 1st round selection along with a late 2nd or early third and then something additional (picks /players). Going by speculation in NY and on their fan websites, it would be considerably more that what the niners got for Smith.

I'm not sure about what they could get, but there is some logic to it - arguably the best CB in the NFL is worth more on the market than a QB who, while he had a couple of good stretches, was constantly on the verge of losing his starting job on a team which, until the last two years, was in the bottom third of the league.

These posts that say he will only cost a 2nd /3rd and some late rounders confuse me.

Because the Jets have 0 leverage along with very minimal interest in Revis so chances are they aren't going to get market value for him.

Revis is coming off an ACL injury and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league along with not being able to slap the franchise tag on him so the teams that are willing and able to do that and give up a bounty of picks to the Jets is going to be very small.

The reason why we're so heavily linked to Revis is our desire for CB help and the fact we have plenty of picks to make the trade with it having little impact on our draft. Also we're pretty much the only team that could use Revis right now as we're in the thick of things for the Super Bowl.

The Bucs can certainly do it but they aren't exactly a CB away from being major contenders so there is really no reason for them to give up the draft picks to the Jets when it's best to just wait till he hits free agency so that why you keep your picks, see how he bounces back from the ACL injury, and than give him the contract you were going to give him anyways if you traded for him.

That goes for most of the rumored teams as well as there really isn't any major motivation to give up the picks since they need them for their own rebuilding process.

So the Jets really only viable market for Revis is the 49ers. With that said it'll at least cost a 2nd and some change. The Jets get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks so there is really not any motivation to do it for anything less than that. If they get a 2nd and some other picks it's more than they could come away with the feeling they got more than if he walked and something to work with in rebuilding.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by socal9er42:

If I was an NFL GM I would not give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Revis. Difference between Revis and the Alex Smith trade is that, the QB position is far more important than good CB, also Revis holds out when he doesn't get what he wants and hes coming off a season ending injury. A 2nd round pick is thee most I would give for Revis, his trade value will drop even more so if or when Nmandi Asomugha gets released. Why push for Revis and his high demands when the market will consist of Sean Smith, Antoine Cason, Derek Cox and Quentin Jammer sure Revis is far superior but they will come much cheaper and can be #1 CBs on most teams.
Share 49ersWebzone