LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Xavier Rhodes, a corner out of Florida State might be available with one of their first two picks. He's 6'2", ran about a 4.4 40, and has over a 40" vertical leap (!?). There is also Desmond Trufant, at 6'0" and a similar 40 time. Both are very physical, very fast and tall for corners. If they are able to get Rhodes and one of the top defensive ends or defensive tackles with their first two picks, I don't care what happens in the rest of the draft. It will be a success.
there should be in a senate investigation if the first three picks are not spent on some sort of a combo of defensive line and secondary help. by the way can any of those two guys who mentioned return punts?
Originally posted by cciowa:
there should be in a senate investigation if the first three picks are not spent on some sort of a combo of defensive line and secondary help. by the way can any of those two guys who mentioned return punts?

Not that I know of. Trufant is a hair faster, but not as big. His older brother is Marcus Trufant, corner for the Seahawks, so that would be interesting.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Not that I know of. Trufant is a hair faster, but not as big. His older brother is Marcus Trufant, corner for the Seahawks, so that would be interesting.
ok, thank you. i was just thinking that any corner , safety or wide out we draft really needs to be able to multi task and return punts as that is a need. we have kyle coming back, hopefully healthy, so i guess its not a glaring need but still i was wondering. thank you cc
Xavier Rhodes, a corner out of Florida State might be available with one of their first two picks. He's 6'2", ran about a 4.4 40, and has over a 40" vertical leap (!?). There is also Desmond Trufant, at 6'0" and a similar 40 time. Both are very physical, very fast and tall for corners. If they are able to get Rhodes and one of the top defensive ends or defensive tackles with their first two picks, I don't care what happens in the rest of the draft. It will be a success.

Sounds great. Culliver/Rogers are 6' and Brown is 5'10". Culliver is MUCH more physical than Rogers though and plays harder (maybe too hard), IMHO. I feel good with Brown. He's consistently very good. But I would love to have a taller SS and CB who can match up against the teams who have killed us with taller, more physical TE's and WR's. These teams killed us and killed us even more in the playoffs. If the refs are going to allow physical CB's in Seattle, don't be surprised if we start to go that route as well (esp. in this division).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sounds great. Culliver/Rogers are 6' and Brown is 5'10". Culliver is MUCH more physical than Rogers though and plays harder (maybe too hard), IMHO. I feel good with Brown. He's consistently very good. But I would love to have a taller SS and CB who can match up against the teams who have killed us with taller, more physical TE's and WR's. These teams killed us and killed us even more in the playoffs. If the refs are going to allow physical CB's in Seattle, don't be surprised if we start to go that route as well (esp. in this division).
point blank to you NC because you are one of the best posters here,,,,, is it realistic to think we could have four new starters in the secondary on the first day of the regular season? after what i saw in the super bowl i would really like to see that but it is probably not realistic.. or is it? what do you think? thank you cc
Trade for Revis, then, move him to safety.

Next our other new safety, Brian Jennings.
Rumors dont just come out of nowhere. Baalke/Harbaugh have been known to keep things hush-hush until the time is right. Remember the Peyton Manning fiasco. Didnt look like like we were anywhere near the radar of going after him, and bam ! Next thing ya know our coaching staff is watching him try out.

I think we're gonna go after Revis hard. Harbaugh is a winner. He knows that we're only 1 or 2 pieces away from the big one. Thats why he went after Manning last year. Thats why he will go after Revis this year.

Cant wait !
[ Edited by HudsonValley on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM ]
point blank to you NC because you are one of the best posters here,,,,, is it realistic to think we could have four new starters in the secondary on the first day of the regular season? after what i saw in the super bowl i would really like to see that but it is probably not realistic.. or is it? what do you think? thank you cc

thta's a bit harsh, cully is solid so is tarrell brown. rogers is older and has a huge salary..he's worth replacing. i don't know what whitner's salary is but i wouldn't want to see 2 new safeties so i'd rather draft goldson's replacement and roll w/ a rook and whitner

Not likely but perhaps, as much as 3 changes (both S's spots and CB or slot CB):
Brown - very good CB. His issue was technique IMHO. He's got the skill set and will but our scheme didn't favor his style and he has a tendency to play the receiver AFTER the ball is caught. He could have doubled his INT's last year had he kept an eye in the backfield. He doesn't press, jam and allows big cushions and free/clean releases esp. on 3rd and shorts (5 and under, yet he lines up 10+ yards off). To me, there is a scheme/coaching issue here. Remember las year when Rogers would come off a route and undercut another for almost all of his INT's? He didn't do that ONCE last year and to me, that is a poor scheme as well. Vanilla.
Culliver - trouble tracking. Love his speed/range/physicality. Would be more ideal for FS keeping everything in front of him and can match up better in the RZ (huge weakness for us). The question with him is the same as I have with Goldson. Do either have brains?

We'll have to see what we have in Robinson, Cox and perhaps McBath. Then onto second tier FA and the draft!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think the two responses i got are very wise and spot on.. I know I am still speaking out of emotion and frustration because the super bowl is still very fresh in my mind so perhaps i am being over the top(imagine that from me). i think NC is on track when he says it is not out of the question we could have three new starters. we also have to upgrade that pass rush. i also thank LL for his good thoughts as well

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
‏@mattbarrows Told that the #49ers haven't even discussed a trade for Darrelle Revis with the Jets. Team was preoccupied with other trade matters.

Uh huh. That said, if this part is true, I wonder who the "trade" considerations are.

Maybe the finer points of the Alex Smith trade? Can't think of any other trade that makes sense
I honestly don't think we are gonna be that active going after FA's. Baalke is thinking of 2014 contracts and beyond. We have young stars that we are gonna have to render big contracts to. Plus, we have done a great job drafting the past several years, and now we have a coach with the right formula to put it all together. So, if we draft players that fit our formula we'll be fine without trading draft picks wholesale to get big name players (with there cap murdering contracts).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Not likely but perhaps, as much as 3 changes (both S's spots and CB or slot CB):
Brown - very good CB. His issue was technique IMHO. He's got the skill set and will but our scheme didn't favor his style and he has a tendency to play the receiver AFTER the ball is caught. He could have doubled his INT's last year had he kept an eye in the backfield. He doesn't press, jam and allows big cushions and free/clean releases esp. on 3rd and shorts (5 and under, yet he lines up 10+ yards off). To me, there is a scheme/coaching issue here. Remember las year when Rogers would come off a route and undercut another for almost all of his INT's? He didn't do that ONCE last year and to me, that is a poor scheme as well. Vanilla.
Culliver - trouble tracking. Love his speed/range/physicality. Would be more ideal for FS keeping everything in front of him and can match up better in the RZ (huge weakness for us). The question with him is the same as I have with Goldson. Do either have brains?

We'll have to see what we have in Robinson, Cox and perhaps McBath. Then onto second tier FA and the draft!
the words "second tier free agents" i think is exactly the route the team takes and i would be ok with that. find another walt harris.. that being said if he does get cut from philly today, they may look at the price tag of asomugha.... maybe

I can't agree with you here, N. Whitner is the weakest coverage DB that we have and BAL heavily exploited it. Having a rookie and Whitner at the Safety position is bad news for us as they will both be weak in coverage in 2013.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I can't agree with you here, N. Whitner is the weakest coverage DB that we have and BAL heavily exploited it. Having a rookie and Whitner at the Safety position is bad news for us as they will both be weak in coverage in 2013.

Seconded. I think our best bet is to bring in a rookie to eventually replace Whitner but to keep Whitner on the squad for locker room reasons.
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Seconded. I think our best bet is to bring in a rookie to eventually replace Whitner but to keep Whitner on the squad for locker room reasons.

I'm on board with you both actually. Ideally, I wanted Whitner and Rogers cut and Goldson to resign but moved to SS and Culliver to stay at CB or move to FS (better for him) to compete with Robinson/Draft Pick.

Our weakness in the secondary is a short SS (Whitner) who is horrendous in the RZ/EZ and Goldson is matched up elsewhere else and usually isn't in the middle of the field. So scheme/matchups are huge issues as well. I would have rather had Goldson's height and physicality up tight at the LOS on the bigger TE's and WR's who play in the slot in the RZ. Hence Whitner = gave up 8 TD's. We have short CB's who play off and give clean releases to bigger, taller, faster WR's.
Share 49ersWebzone