There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think that'd be absolutely retarded to give up a Top 60 pick for a guy who would only be there for a year. Its not something that I see Baalke doing....it doesn't mesh at all with what his philosophy has been thus far. Also, what's to say that Revis simply doesn't holdout like he's so fond of doing, now you get a rental for a partial season......bad idea.

The only reason you do this is if you feel as certain as possible this puts you over the top and gets you a ring.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
We are interested in him as a one year rental

Two sources tell Yahoo Sports the 49ers are "poised to make a run" at Darrelle Revis after stockpiling 15 picks in the 2013 draft.
The Niners only have 12 picks right now, but will get three more via the compensatory process. Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, the 49ers have considered pursuing Revis and not extending his contract, forcing Revis to play out 2013 at $6 million via bonuses and salary. Cole suggests Atlanta could make a Revis run, as well. If San Francisco acquired Revis, it'd likely surrender one of its two top-34 picks, or perhaps even both. Jets GM John Idzik should be on the phone with 49ers GM Trent Baalke. Idzik needs roster-building pieces, and Baalke has them

Im fine with that cuz we have a s**t load of draft picks and lets be real we arent going to use them all anyway and i dont want to pay him 16 million a year and risk losing one of our guys like Crabtree, Anthony Davis or Iupati

I think that'd be absolutely retarded to give up a Top 60 pick for a guy who would only be there for a year. Its not something that I see Baalke doing....it doesn't mesh at all with what his philosophy has been thus far. Also, what's to say that Revis simply doesn't holdout like he's so fond of doing, now you get a rental for a partial season......bad idea.

I see what you guys are saying here...

But at some point, the great ones want to win, more than the $$. Maybe his holdout shenanigans is just about his frustration with the dumpster fire that is the Jets. If we trade for him, we can get him on the deal he has now (1 year/$6M) which is a bargain or tell him if he wants to be a part of a winner that he better take less.

I mean, look what we did with the #29th last year, even if it's only one year, at least we can carve out half the field. Who knows.

But what we do know (or we think we know) is that Baalke shops at the Dollar Store, not Sacks Fifth.
Originally posted by English:
No. Major surgery and regular holdouts?

The draft. Dominate for a decade.

This.

Any player coming off major surgery should be surrounded with question marks, not showered with cash. Going after Revis would be throwing good money after bad. Much to big of a risk.

I remember when McClueless and Nolan shelled out big $$$ for another AFC East shutdown corner. Anyone remember NATE CLEMENTS?

We paid a fortune for that guy. Think he was worth it?
Not sure I want him... we have guys like kap, aldon, miller, crabtree, iupati, davis, maybe hunter, brown, etc to sign... not sure i want to give him a new contract at say 12-15 a year. Our secondary was 4th in the regular season; it fell apart in the playoffs due to lack of pass rush. I think we need pass rush more than secondary although both are needs. Also, Revis himself could be a distraction with a hold out and even if he doesn't hold out you better believe the media will make us getting revis a distraction. Having him will put a ridiculous amount of pressure on us to win the super bowl. The media will be saying things like with Revis they are a lock; why even play the season give them the trophy. Usually when you get that type of attention and are a "lock" it doesn't happen. Side note... I definitely don't want to rent him at the price of a 2nd, etc. Why not use those 2nds on guys who will be us for 4 years... build depth and get future starters? I don't know but it's all in if we get Revis... might mess with our future a bit.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
One one hand - it's like the Deion Sanders's deal that put us over the top

On the other - it handcuffs us for guys like Iupati, Crabtree, Aldon, and Kaep.

I'm on the fence

didnt we already lock up aldon?
  • pfizz
No thanks. We need to fortify the defensive lines. We need young, talented depth to help rush the qb. This includes outside linebacker as well.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
This.

Any player coming off major surgery should be surrounded with question marks, not showered with cash. Going after Revis would be throwing good money after bad. Much to big of a risk.

I remember when McClueless and Nolan shelled out big $$$ for another AFC East shutdown corner. Anyone remember NATE CLEMENTS?

We paid a fortune for that guy. Think he was worth it?

remember when they shelled out for an overrated DE named Justin Smith? sometimes you hit sometimes you miss
DO NOT WANT
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Love the idea of buying low, but I'd only want him for one year like we did with Deion, and that's assuming the doctors say he'll be fully recovered for next season.
I would pass on Revis. Building through the draft is the way to go.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
One one hand - it's like the Deion Sanders's deal that put us over the top

On the other - it handcuffs us for guys like Iupati, Crabtree, Aldon, and Kaep.

I'm on the fence

didnt we already lock up aldon?

Not other than his rookie deal, which I believe goes through 2014 (maybe 2015)... AB would know. But I'm sure he's very high on the priority list. Most sacks every in the first 2 years = big $$
Originally posted by susweel:
DO NOT WANT

We must try at least, we can't draft 14 players and keep them...lets get rid of those picks and pick up someone who can be a steal for a year ?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would pass on Revis. Building through the draft is the way to go.

Depends on the deal. I can see both sides. Even if we bring him in, I have a hard time seeing Baalke getting fleeced by the Jets. It'll be on our terms.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't want Revis and his torn acl. He's a big mouth loser. Building through the draft is the way to go.
for our 1st and 2nd? f**k that. that kills off all of baalke's genius in the smith trade. lets see if he can get him for two 7th rounders and a couple sharks tickets lol
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home