There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jets want a 1st round pick for Revis, anything less and they fear getting crucified by their own fanbase.

well that takes care of any revis niner talk for me.
Unless they could work out a contract extension, I'm skeptical...$6M is a high-priced renta-a-player. From a value and longer term standpoint, I'd rather see the Niners sign Sean Smith, a big, fast CB just now coming into his prime. He'd be a very good matchup against the bigger receivers they see every game. It's not that I wouldn't love to see Revis as a Niner...but the thought of a one and done just isn't that appealing to me.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Unless they could work out a contract extension, I'm skeptical...$6M is a high-priced renta-a-player. From a value and longer term standpoint, I'd rather see the Niners sign Sean Smith, a big, fast CB just now coming into his prime. He'd be a very good matchup against the bigger receivers they see every game. It's not that I wouldn't love to see Revis as a Niner...but the thought of a one and done just isn't that appealing to me.

Is $6M too much for a superbowl win? He really could be that difference. Being cheap and building young and long term is getting old. Let's just get a f**king trophy already by whatever means. Frank, Pat, and Justin aren't getting any younger let's f**king get some rings already and stop being conservative.
I rather trade up for the cb from bama, cost less money than revis and less picks and he's way younger, and not a head case revis is never happy and cause locker room issues...
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I rather trade up for the cb from bama, cost less money than revis and less picks and he's way younger, and not a head case revis is never happy and cause locker room issues...

How do you figure? If anything Milliner would cost more as he's expected to be a Top 10 pick, maybe even Top 5. Do you know how much it would cost to move up to there from the 49ers #31 pick?

I think if the 49ers stay pat, there will still be plenty of good CB prospects to choose from, guys like Jordan Poyer, Leon McFadden, Robert Alford, Darius Slay and more.
Also, the other big issue aside from the money, is that he's coming off ACL surgery and no one has seem him play football since. Is there any other position that requires as much lateral agility as the CB position? The ACL injury could change him from a HOF caliber player to just a very good player. And if that's the case, the kind of money/compensation required to get Revis would be a waste.

However, I've just been watching Revis higlights, and the thought of Revis in a 49er uniform makes me wet. I really do think he will return to form after a full year of rehab post-surgery. It's just the locker room dynamics of giving an outsider a huge contract that worries me.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM ]
Now that we have the 34th overall pick, trading our 1st for revis would be fine with me
Originally posted by dhp318:
Also, the other big issue aside from the money, is that he's coming off ACL surgery and no one has seem him play football since. Is there any other position that requires as much lateral agility as the CB position? The ACL injury could change him from a HOF caliber player to just a very good player. And if that's the case, the kind of money/compensation required to get Revis would be a waste.

However, I've just been watching Revis higlights, and the thought of Revis in a 49er uniform makes me wet. I really do think he will return to form after a full year of rehab post-surgery. It's just the locker room dynamics of giving an outsider a huge contract that worries me.

That's the other issue. If you pay Revis and give him all the money he's asking for, how can you with a straight face ask any of your own future free agents such as Crabtree, Aldon, Tarell Brown and others to offer up a "hometown discount?"
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes! Why break the bank on one older player when you're sitting there with the 31st and the 34th pick in a draft deep with corner, safety and defensive line talent? It just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, add some size and depth to that defensive line and the pass defense will look a lot better anyway. Get that pass rush going with enough depth to last all season and into the post season.
Most of those I respect their opinion, it's unanimous, pass on Revis. But ................

Something doesn't make sense here. This assumes Baalke makes a bonehead move. No one is perfect in draft predictions, but I cannot recall Baalke ever making a very bad or even moderately bad business decision (move). The man has a great sense of value. I cannot see him cashing our #31, 34 a mountain of cash and then be in trouble signing the 2010 & 11 classes with extensions. If he wants Revis, I believe we will get him ONLY at a good VALUE.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes! Why break the bank on one older player when you're sitting there with the 31st and the 34th pick in a draft deep with corner, safety and defensive line talent? It just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, add some size and depth to that defensive line and the pass defense will look a lot better anyway. Get that pass rush going with enough depth to last all season and into the post season.
Most of those I respect their opinion, it's unanimous, pass on Revis. But ................

Something doesn't make sense here. This assumes Baalke makes a bonehead move. No one is perfect in draft predictions, but I cannot recall Baalke ever making a bad business decision (move). The man has a great sense of value. I cannot see him cashing our #31, 34 a mountain of cash and then be in trouble signing the 2010 & 11 classes with extensions. If he wants Revis, I believe we will get him ONLY at a good VALUE.

Out of all the teams in the NFL we are about the only one that can land him on the cheap. We were 5 yards from a trophy. Revis knows he will never get one on the Jets. We got that draw. Along with the fact that we can pay as much or close to what he wants. He would have to come here knowing that his b******t wont be tolerated and he will be expected to pull his weight. That s**t he pulled in NY wont fly with Harbaugh. Just ask Brandon Jacobs. With all that said I think he is the absolute perfect thing our defense needs. He can shut down one half of the field while Brown can take down the other. If we got him on our team that is 2 of the next 3 superbowls gift wrapped for us.
The other thing I'm thinking about is Johnthan Banks who was widely regarded as the top corner in this upcoming draft. He had an injury late in the year and he didn't have a good Combine, ran a poor 40...etc, if there's a chance he falls to the 49ers pick, he would be very very well worth it, especially with his physical size and balllhawking skills, very good college lockdown CB.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Out of all the teams in the NFL we are about the only one that can land him on the cheap. We were 5 yards from a trophy. Revis knows he will never get one on the Jets. We got that draw. Along with the fact that we can pay as much or close to what he wants. He would have to come here knowing that his b******t wont be tolerated and he will be expected to pull his weight. That s**t he pulled in NY wont fly with Harbaugh. Just ask Brandon Jacobs. With all that said I think he is the absolute perfect thing our defense needs. He can shut down one half of the field while Brown can take down the other. If we got him on our team that is 2 of the next 3 superbowls gift wrapped for us.

You're making the assumption that he'll be the exact same player post-injury............
Not sure what will happen but you can bet we will do something big. Revis, Harvin, or moving way up in the draft. Something will happen
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BayArea:

You're making the assumption that he'll be the exact same player post-injury............

No reason to believe otherwise. I also assumed that Adrian Peterson would be the same player after his injury. We know how that went. Willing to take that risk to be honest.
Originally posted by Niners4ever:
Not sure what will happen but you can bet we will do something big. Revis, Harvin, or moving way up in the draft. Something will happen

I bet we do nothing big, draft someone nobody saw coming, and everyone on this board is disappointed... like always.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home