There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.

Aldon comes in for the nickel.

Not at end, I would play him as a DT, instead of Ray Mac, that's the only possibility I could see in a 4-2 Nickel, with Justin, Ahmad and Aldon, with Dorsey inserted there should Ray Mac need a rest. Aldon comes off the edge in the Nickel, just like Ahmad.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Any contract #'s yet?

Still waiting.

Thx
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.

Because he may not .... at least not start there.

I agree, I don't think he starts there. I think he is mainly a rotational guy who will be able to play several sports in various formations. I still think we draft a proper NT along with Ian (who I think will do quite well in the role).
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I thought the report was that he was crazy, not lazy.

-- He was named the Dade County Male Athlete of the Year in both 2004 and 2005, becoming the only two-time winner of the award in its 49-year history.
--While a member of the Tigers football team, he was suspended by the NCAA for 12 months, had academic problems and angered his head coach for unflattering comments made about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow before the teams met in 2008.
--He has had academic issues, off-field problems and an overall inconsistent performance on the field.

Sounds like lazy and a bit of being immature. Obviously talented.. that 1st line is impressive since Dade County is full of athletes. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and is much more mature since he arrived here. He's a better player as well.

Per a Chief's fan:

"Cant say that i'm all that tore up about it, but he was a drama free guy who always seemed to give good effort, so i wish him well. Moving on..."
Originally posted by NCommand:
Per a Chief's fan:

"Cant say that i'm all that tore up about it, but he was a drama free guy who always seemed to give good effort, so i wish him well. Moving on..."

Nice! Now Tomsula will work his magic and he'll be a solid contributor.
Per a Chief's fan:

All that was about Ricky Jean Francois. Someone had brought up that our coaches didn't do anything with RJF and I was talking about how much better, stronger and more mature he has gotten.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by robniner:
Not a good amount of encouraging news on him. One Chiefs fan on PFT called him a weak link to the line.

Hmmmmm....an opinion from a random Chiefs fan or that of Baalke/the 49ers scouting department/coaching staff. Who to believe????? Seems like a tough call to me.....
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
Sopoaga only played about 30% of defensive snaps last year... so all this, "OMGZ HE IZNT TEH NOSE TACKLE" crap can end. No one ground and pounds anymore, he seems like a versatile player that can play in all of our fronts. Talented guy with a new fire and an outstanding staff behind him. I like the signing.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Any contract #'s yet?

Still waiting.

Thx
Seems like the longer it takes for the numbers to come out the lower they are.

When a player signs a big deal, the agent wants to publicize it.

When a team signs a player to a low money deal, neither side is jumping to show off how small the numbers are.
No question he has talent and he's versatile, Tomsula is a beast, let's see what the hype was about. At worst he spells our guys and adds depth at a position where we were lacking good backups and overplayed our starters.
We continue to move backwards. We are losing key pieces to a team that went to the superbowl and replacing them with scrubs. Smh...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by robniner:
Not a good amount of encouraging news on him. One Chiefs fan on PFT called him a weak link to the line.

Hmmmmm....an opinion from a random Chiefs fan or that of Baalke/the 49ers scouting department/coaching staff. Who to believe????? Seems like a tough call to me.....

He was out last year with a calf injury. Before that I never heard anyone complaining about his play. We got a good player to put into the rotation.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Per a Chief's fan:

All that was about Ricky Jean Francois. Someone had brought up that our coaches didn't do anything with RJF and I was talking about how much better, stronger and more mature he has gotten.

Just saw this...sorry! Good info either way...don't need to see RJF getting pancaked in the Superbowl anymore.
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Now go get LaRon Landry!!! Another top 10 pick on our STACKED roster...

I like this Dorsey pickup though.
Great pick-up if we use him right. He didn't do as well as he was expected to in 3-4 D in KC - and his growth stagnated playing DE. It will be interesting to see where and how Niners plan to use him.