LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jobiwon:
He'll back up both ends and rush inside on a 4 man line. NT is Williams and one to come from the draft hopefully Brandon Williams.

This sounds right. I do not think Dorsey will play nose tackle.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I thought the report was that he was crazy, not lazy.

-- He was named the Dade County Male Athlete of the Year in both 2004 and 2005, becoming the only two-time winner of the award in its 49-year history.
--While a member of the Tigers football team, he was suspended by the NCAA for 12 months, had academic problems and angered his head coach for unflattering comments made about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow before the teams met in 2008.
--He has had academic issues, off-field problems and an overall inconsistent performance on the field.

Sounds like lazy and a bit of being immature. Obviously talented.. that 1st line is impressive since Dade County is full of athletes. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and is much more mature since he arrived here. He's a better player as well.

EDIT: THIS IS ABOUT RJF NOT GLENN DORSEY
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
edit: dbl post
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.

Aldon comes in for the nickel.
I hope I'm wrong on Dorsey. Didn't think he did much as a DE. Maybe NT w/our coaching and who knows - maybe a steal?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM ]
Not all Nose Tackles are 6-2 330. Jay Ratliff has been one of the best in the NFL the last couple of years and he is 6-4 298.
NT Kyle Williams of the Bills is 6-1 303.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Any contract #'s yet?

Still waiting.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Glenn Dorsey + Ian Williams =

Both younger but both sub-300 pound guys. These two, at best, are one-gap NT's. I still expect us to get a more prototypical NT high in the draft and would expect Dorsey to spell Justin in run downs at RDE. Veteran insurance with potential for a decent upside with Tomsula.

I think, but not really sure, that Ian Williams is closer to 310 at this point.

And as mentioned, the sub-300lb number for Dorsey was at his combine back in 2008. The odds of him putting on anywhere from 10-15 lbs since then are pretty good.

Do you have an update? Either way, inside, he's best suited for the one-gap...ala Franklin. We still need a two-gapper and one who can be an occasional pocket-crasher. That said, if we only use the NT 33% of the time, he'll get snaps inside and spell Justin at RDE which is always good.

Originally posted by jreff22:

Aldon comes in for the nickel.

Not at end, I would play him as a DT, instead of Ray Mac, that's the only possibility I could see in a 4-2 Nickel, with Justin, Ahmad and Aldon, with Dorsey inserted there should Ray Mac need a rest. Aldon comes off the edge in the Nickel, just like Ahmad.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Because he may not .... at least not start there.

I agree, I don't think he starts there. I think he is mainly a rotational guy who will be able to play several sports in various formations. I still think we draft a proper NT along with Ian (who I think will do quite well in the role).
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I thought the report was that he was crazy, not lazy.

-- He was named the Dade County Male Athlete of the Year in both 2004 and 2005, becoming the only two-time winner of the award in its 49-year history.
--While a member of the Tigers football team, he was suspended by the NCAA for 12 months, had academic problems and angered his head coach for unflattering comments made about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow before the teams met in 2008.
--He has had academic issues, off-field problems and an overall inconsistent performance on the field.

Sounds like lazy and a bit of being immature. Obviously talented.. that 1st line is impressive since Dade County is full of athletes. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and is much more mature since he arrived here. He's a better player as well.

Per a Chief's fan:

"Cant say that i'm all that tore up about it, but he was a drama free guy who always seemed to give good effort, so i wish him well. Moving on..."
Per a Chief's fan:

"Cant say that i'm all that tore up about it, but he was a drama free guy who always seemed to give good effort, so i wish him well. Moving on..."

Nice! Now Tomsula will work his magic and he'll be a solid contributor.
Per a Chief's fan:

All that was about Ricky Jean Francois. Someone had brought up that our coaches didn't do anything with RJF and I was talking about how much better, stronger and more mature he has gotten.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone