There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Originally posted by Gore_21:
If I remember correctly one of the main reason's RJF dropped to the 7th was because of being lazy. Guy has gotten into much better shape since being here and turned out to be a solid backup. How many 7th rounders even stick with teams for more than a year, much less 4.

I thought the report was that he was crazy, not lazy.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Glenn Dorsey + Ian Williams =

Both younger but both sub-300 pound guys. These two, at best, are one-gap NT's. I still expect us to get a more prototypical NT high in the draft and would expect Dorsey to spell Justin in run downs at RDE. Veteran insurance with potential for a decent upside with Tomsula.

I think, but not really sure, that Ian Williams is closer to 310 at this point.

And as mentioned, the sub-300lb number for Dorsey was at his combine back in 2008. The odds of him putting on anywhere from 10-15 lbs since then are pretty good.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,722
Originally posted by jobiwon:
He'll back up both ends and rush inside on a 4 man line. NT is Williams and one to come from the draft hopefully Brandon Williams.

This sounds right. I do not think Dorsey will play nose tackle.
I knew we were going to let both RJF and Soap walk. The effectiveness of the D rested on Justin Smith's shoulders. We're going to draft the next Justin Smith. Dorsey IMHO, is a rotation guy with the new super-talented, diamond-in-the-rough rook.

Same goes for Dashon.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I thought the report was that he was crazy, not lazy.

-- He was named the Dade County Male Athlete of the Year in both 2004 and 2005, becoming the only two-time winner of the award in its 49-year history.
--While a member of the Tigers football team, he was suspended by the NCAA for 12 months, had academic problems and angered his head coach for unflattering comments made about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow before the teams met in 2008.
--He has had academic issues, off-field problems and an overall inconsistent performance on the field.

Sounds like lazy and a bit of being immature. Obviously talented.. that 1st line is impressive since Dade County is full of athletes. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and is much more mature since he arrived here. He's a better player as well.

EDIT: THIS IS ABOUT RJF NOT GLENN DORSEY
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
edit: dbl post
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.

Aldon comes in for the nickel.
I hope I'm wrong on Dorsey. Didn't think he did much as a DE. Maybe NT w/our coaching and who knows - maybe a steal?
Any contract #'s yet?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,799
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM ]
Not all Nose Tackles are 6-2 330. Jay Ratliff has been one of the best in the NFL the last couple of years and he is 6-4 298.
NT Kyle Williams of the Bills is 6-1 303.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to switch to a 4-3 Defense

Exactly. 3-tech in a 4-3, underutilized like Sapp was in the 3-4. He can play end, I see him rotating with our ends and maybe we bring him in for the nickel. I just don't see how he's going to play over the center.

Because he may not .... at least not start there.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,799
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Any contract #'s yet?


Still waiting.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Glenn Dorsey + Ian Williams =

Both younger but both sub-300 pound guys. These two, at best, are one-gap NT's. I still expect us to get a more prototypical NT high in the draft and would expect Dorsey to spell Justin in run downs at RDE. Veteran insurance with potential for a decent upside with Tomsula.

I think, but not really sure, that Ian Williams is closer to 310 at this point.

And as mentioned, the sub-300lb number for Dorsey was at his combine back in 2008. The odds of him putting on anywhere from 10-15 lbs since then are pretty good.

Do you have an update? Either way, inside, he's best suited for the one-gap...ala Franklin. We still need a two-gapper and one who can be an occasional pocket-crasher. That said, if we only use the NT 33% of the time, he'll get snaps inside and spell Justin at RDE which is always good.