LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

NFC West 2013 Record Projections

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hawker84:
i hear ya.. i sincerely hope Kap regresses next season, the NFL has all this film on him now and should be able to figure out schemes to slow him down and utitlize his weaknesses..aint gonna happen though, because there's a problem with that, he doesn't have a whole lot of weaknesses... So how are NFL teams susppose to go about doing this? same can be said about RW.

The fact that some folks are still talking about RW is too short and eventually that's going to be his downfall is really kind of funny at this point. it's just speculation and above all wishful thinking. If you look at RW's stats, his stats inside the pocket are better than his stats outside.. so to say defenses will contain him and force him to throw from the pocket, sounds good in theory, but already has proven to be unsuccessful...

The fact is in my opinion.. both these guys are special.. physically gifted atheletes, that can make every throw, extend plays with their legs, and scramble for first downs.. bottom line, they sustain drives by moving the chains, by any means necessary.. to think either one of them will regress is very doubtful. Seattle and SF will be two of the best teams in the NFL next season.. not just NFC...

I'm just saying there is a reason why you never see 5'10" QB's anymore who are consistently successful and that reason is that linemen are much taller than they used to be. Will he be able to overcome that? If anyone can, Wilson can because he's obviously a very good passer, extremely fast and seems to be real smart. But, the Steelers method was not simply containment in the pocket. It was containment mixed with crushing the pocket with their hands in the air. And, at the same time, they would have inside linebackers hesitate and then jump open gaps in the middle. We'll know if teams are going to use that approach and whether or not it will work on Russell Wilson by the second or third game next season. It's just what I expect to happen because there is precedent for it and it usually works to some extent. Fran Tarkenton played in a different era. He's in the Hall of Fame. But the one team he really had problems with was the Steelers and that had a lot to do with those extremely tall for their era defensive linemen. But, those guys would be average height for D-linemen today. Is this wishful thinking on my part? Of course it is. I don't want to see anymore 16 second scrambles when he plays the Niners next season. They were excruciating to watch. So, I'm hoping the Niners have a plan for Wilson and if they have a plan, other teams will as well.
I also don't expect teams to continue to continually test the Seahawks defense with power formations and just a couple receivers. Seahawks corners, especially Sherman, have proven that they are top notch, shut-down guys. The Seahawk D line has proven that it is powerful enough to stop the inside run on anyone. So, I expect teams will change up and spread them out more often. That's what teams tried to do with the Niners this last season and eventually, when the Niner pass rush wore down, the strategy started working. The question will be whether there is a drop off in Seahawk defensive backfield talent after you get through those two corners. If the Hawks have other corners who can cover as well, then they'll be fine. In the Niners case, they've also got the fastest inside linebackers in the league, so that helps when they're covering multiple receivers.

The bottom line is that I think the Seahawks were undervalued at the beginning of last season, but that everyone will be thinking about them and scheming for them this off season because everyone knows they're a serious team. The reason why some statistical organizations predicted a 7-9 finish for the Niners last season had a lot to do with that as well. Somehow, the Niners were able to out-perform statistical expectations. Maybe the Seahawks will as well, but for some reason, I just don't think it's going to happen. I think the Seahawks are going to fade a little.
Funny, i remember the one scramble, keystone cops came to mind...

again i hear what you're saying, my argument is, he's been playing behind a tall line ever since college, especially at Wisconsin.. i'm not saying, his height does not cause problems from time to time, what i am saying is just like Kap, he overcomes his mistakes.. he takes a sack, he'll come back next play and throw a 15 yrd strike for a first, or scramble for it... you can contain him, but you're not going to do it with a lot of regulartity..
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I also don't expect teams to continue to continually test the Seahawks defense with power formations and just a couple receivers. Seahawks corners, especially Sherman, have proven that they are top notch, shut-down guys. The Seahawk D line has proven that it is powerful enough to stop the inside run on anyone. So, I expect teams will change up and spread them out more often. That's what teams tried to do with the Niners this last season and eventually, when the Niner pass rush wore down, the strategy started working. The question will be whether there is a drop off in Seahawk defensive backfield talent after you get through those two corners. If the Hawks have other corners who can cover as well, then they'll be fine. In the Niners case, they've also got the fastest inside linebackers in the league, so that helps when they're covering multiple receivers.

The bottom line is that I think the Seahawks were undervalued at the beginning of last season, but that everyone will be thinking about them and scheming for them this off season because everyone knows they're a serious team. The reason why some statistical organizations predicted a 7-9 finish for the Niners last season had a lot to do with that as well. Somehow, the Niners were able to out-perform statistical expectations. Maybe the Seahawks will as well, but for some reason, I just don't think it's going to happen. I think the Seahawks are going to fade a little.

if there is a solid group in our defense it's our db's.. outside of the 4 we have thurmond who was nursing a hammy all season, Lane and Maxwell.. all fast and physical... thurmond will be our nickel next season providing he stays healthy, he is our second best cover guy behind sherman.. Trufant is gone.. next move will be d linemand and a replacement for Leroy Hill, he's gone as well.. it will be crucial to replace him with a fast, atheletic weakside backer, because we have to cover those speedy tighends you guys have.

i don't think anybody took notice of us at the beginning of last season, that will not be the case this season.. we have to go out and play championship ball week in and week out.. no more defensive no shows, no more slow starts by the offense and digging ourselves out of first half holes...
[ Edited by hawker84 on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM ]
if there is a solid group in our defense it's our db's.. outside of the 4 we have thurmond who was nursing a hammy all season, Lane and Maxwell.. all fast and physical... thurmond will be our nickel next season providing he stays healty, he is our second best cover guy behind sherman.. Trufant is gone.. next move will be d linemand and a replacement for Leroy Hill, he's gone as well.. it will be crucial to replace him with a fast, atheletic weakside backer, because we have to cover those speedy tighends you guys have.

i don't think anybody took notice of us at the beginning of last season, that will not be the case this season.. we have to go out and play championship ball week in and week out.. no more defensive no shows, no more slow starts by the offense and digging ourselves out of first half holes...

That - in bold ^^^

Huh .... Since you're a Seahawks fan, I'll venture to say you were saying that about your team .... but could also be said about the 49ers just as easily.
@hawker84: Don't take any of my wishful thinking for next season as disrespect for the Seahawks. I think Seattle has one of the best teams in the league. I think they're a scary team and I think they're built to play the Niners. The truth is that they will still probably be a problem for the Niners. And, there is no question that Russell Wilson is an incredible athlete. Like I say, he reminds me of a modern version of Fran Tarkenton and Tarkenton is a Hall of Famer, so it's not meant as any disrespect. I can't say enough about the Seahawks. Even though I find him as annoying as a player can get, Richard Sherman is an awesome shut-down corner.

I don't know why I think they're going to fade a little. I think mostly it has to do with a combination of a tougher schedule for them and the fact every team will have their game with them circled on the calendar from early in the off season.
can't agree with you more, and no disrespect taken........
Your factoid of the day: 49ers biggest loss last year: 29 @ Seattle...Seahawks biggest lost last year: 7 @ 49ers. Seattle lost 6 games last year by a combined 26 points...including pre-season. (while pre-season means nothing, it speaks to roster composition). While I think the 49ers put up a 12-4 next year and Seattle grabs an 11-5, their issue is they will have their toughest matchups on the road. Seattle is going to be a really tough out next year and for a while, and it's going to be great to go up against them for a long time.

A Seattle @ SF NFC Championship game is very very possible next year.

I hope they don't draft Tyrann Mathieu before we can.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Your factoid of the day: 49ers biggest loss last year: 29 @ Seattle...Seahawks biggest lost last year: 7 @ 49ers. Seattle lost 6 games last year by a combined 26 points...including pre-season. (while pre-season means nothing, it speaks to roster composition). While I think the 49ers put up a 12-4 next year and Seattle grabs an 11-5, their issue is they will have their toughest matchups on the road. Seattle is going to be a really tough out next year and for a while, and it's going to be great to go up against them for a long time.

Under Singletary, we were the lords of the 3pt loss. A loss is a loss and a win is a win.

Seattle crushed us up in Seattle, and they played a very similar game to us in ATL, but we won and they didn't. But that was last year, this year we are both 0-0. I wouldn't be surprised to see us play in the national TV opener on Thurs. The nation knows now that we may be the best two NFC teams.
Originally posted by guillotine31:

That NFCCG at the CLink has so much more appeal... we'll keep the noise down, we promise.

That NFCCG at the CLink has so much more appeal... we'll keep the noise down, we promise.

Won't be at the CLink LOL ... gonna be at the "stick to send out that grand ol' stadium in style
Originally posted by Beeker:

Won't be at the CLink LOL ... gonna be at the "stick to send out that grand ol' stadium in style

and we'll up the ante on blackouts! They'll have to ship in construction lighting to finish the game.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

and we'll up the ante on blackouts! They'll have to ship in construction lighting to finish the game.

LOL that would be some accomplishment hosting your franchises 2nd conference title game ever
Like I said - just wild speculation.

Originally posted by thenovemberrain:
Hello everyone! This will be my first attempt at starting a thread. My goal is here is to get everyone's opinion as to the final regular season records for all 4 NFC West teams. Do the Seahawks match their performance of 2012? Are the Cardinals as bad as they looked? Do the Rams improve or implode? Are the 49ers a lock to 3-peat as division champs? You tell me .....

This is strictly a W.A.G. on my part - nothing more than fun speculation. I personally believe the only team to have a winning record in the division will be the 49ers.
  1. San Francisco 12-4
  2. Seattle 7-9
  3. St. Louis 6-10
  4. Arizona 3-13
Have at it!

Who are our four losses?

Like I said - just wild speculation.

You can chalk up 2 to the RAMS since we can't seem to beat these guys in regulation!
Share 49ersWebzone