There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFC West 2013 Record Projections

I can't see us winning less than 11 games. Schedule is (seemingly) easier and the team should be better.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If Wilson peaks as high as Kaepernick, it will be an amazing thing to watch because since 1952, a grand total of TWO quarterbacks at his height or smaller (Eddie LeBaron and Doug Flutie) have had any consistent success in the NFL. So, if Russell Wilson achieves greatness, it will be a huge bucking of the odds. Stranger things have happened, so I'm not going to count on it not happening. I'm just saying that the odds are long.

Is that lack of success because so many short quarterbacks failed or, just that there were so few short quarterbacks period?

Some interesting data on the topic gathered here...
http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=566

Good post. IMO it's because not that many shorter QBs have been given a chance in the nfl because of the bias towards taller QBs.
Look at highlight reels of both Colin and Russell and you will very quickly see that Colin can make every type of throw from the pocket. Colin can thread the ball between defenders, something I've never seen Russell do, at least not from the pocket. Those extra 6 inches Colin has over Russell gives him a much better ability to judge distance between his receivers and the defender, and it lets him place the ball where it needs to be much more easily. Whether it's an outside shoulder throw, or a laser that splits the safeties. This is a FACT, there are no "intangibles" that make up for 6' 4" height.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Look at highlight reels of both Colin and Russell and you will very quickly see that Colin can make every type of throw from the pocket. Colin can thread the ball between defenders, something I've never seen Russell do, at least not from the pocket. Those extra 6 inches Colin has over Russell gives him a much better ability to judge distance between his receivers and the defender, and it lets him place the ball where it needs to be much more easily. Whether it's an outside shoulder throw, or a laser that splits the safeties. This is a FACT, there are no "intangibles" that make up for 6' 4" height.

Maybe you need to actually watch some of his games instead of highlights .

Wilson is good. Despite his height, he knows how to play the game of football better then most QBs. Period.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Wilson is good. Despite his height, he knows how to play the game of football better then most QBs. Period.

As much as it irks me, its true. It was pretty apparent to me, from about halfway through last year and on, that Russel Wilson is a baller and will be a thorn in our side for years to come. Sure hope im wrong though.

trust me , he can make all those throws as well.. where his arm is not as strong as Kap's, then again not a lot of guys arms are, but he can slice and dice with the best of them... like poster said, can't just go off highlights.
Russell is obviously very, very good. All I'm saying is that if he becomes a great QB with sustained success over a period of years, he will be bucking mighty odds. Again, only two at his height or smaller have had any success since 1952, and I can only think of two QB's at 6'0" who have even gone to Super Bowls. That would be Drew Brees and Fran Tarkenton. Now, Tarkenton is in the Hall and Brees will probably be too, and they're only a couple inches taller than Wilson, so it's not impossible. I just thought of another - Joe Theisman is about six feet tall and he went to a Super Bowl.

I'm just going with the historical odds here when I stand by my prediction that Wilson will fade a little in his second season while Kaepernick gets better. And, my reason is still the same - there is a patented way of dealing with a shorter QB that defenses will get better at, but there is no established way to deal with Kaepernick and Kaepernick was playing a work-in-progress offense last season.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
LOL at trying to discredit Wilson because of fear/reluctance to admit that Seattle has something good going on and they're going to be a thorn in the 49ers backside for the forseeable future, and eventually St Louis too.
Russell is obviously very, very good. All I'm saying is that if he becomes a great QB with sustained success over a period of years, he will be bucking mighty odds. Again, only two at his height or smaller have had any success since 1952, and I can only think of two QB's at 6'0" who have even gone to Super Bowls. That would be Drew Brees and Fran Tarkenton. Now, Tarkenton is in the Hall and Brees will probably be too, and they're only a couple inches taller than Wilson, so it's not impossible. I just thought of another - Joe Theisman is about six feet tall and he went to a Super Bowl.

I'm just going with the historical odds here when I stand by my prediction that Wilson will fade a little in his second season while Kaepernick gets better. And, my reason is still the same - there is a patented way of dealing with a shorter QB that defenses will get better at, but there is no established way to deal with Kaepernick and Kaepernick was playing a work-in-progress offense last season.

what's the patented way to deal with shorter qb's? and what's different about Kap and any other tall qb that can run? and why is there no way to game plan against him?
Gotta give Credit to Hawker and Lisatwelve for fighting the good fight.

Ask your Seahawk sisteran why they disappeared from this site when they lost to ATL. Especially that loud mouth s**t talker Rolandma..etc.

He hasn't shown his face since.
Originally posted by hawker84:
what's the patented way to deal with shorter qb's? and what's different about Kap and any other tall qb that can run? and why is there no way to game plan against him?

Get in his face, just like the teams that were successful against Fran Tarkenton did. And, you can't use any one approach like that with Kaepernick because he's 6'5" tall and just as fast as Wilson. If you confine him to the pocket, he'll just stand there and hit slants and turnarounds all day. If you flush him out of the pocket he'll run around the edge and he's gone. You can't shade safeties behind linemen, because he's looking over his linemen, not through them. This is just a fact of life and I'm sorry to be the one to keep harping on this, but a 6'5" guy with a cannon and speed has a distinct advantage over a 5'10" guy with speed and a good arm.

And, FL9er, nobody is trying to discredit Wilson. I'm comparing him to a Hall of Famer for cryin out loud. I'm just pointing out the obvious which is that the odds are against a QB that is his size. If the odds were not against QB's his size, we would have seen more of them being successful in the NFL. Everyone loves to see a guy buck the odds and I like Russell Wilson. He seems like a good character guy which I value and he's a baller. If I were anything other than a Niner, Rams or Cardinals fan, I'd be rooting for him. But, I'm a Niner fan, so naturally, I'm hoping he fades a little, has a nice career, but doesn't burn up the league.
Originally posted by hawker84:

I forgot. You also asked what's the difference between Kaepernick and other tall QB's who can run. Well, for one thing, he's much more accurate than any of them I can think of including RGIII. He was statistically the most accurate long passer in the league last season and he had the highest QBR for his first 8 starts that anyone has ever recorded.
Originally posted by FL9er:
LOL at trying to discredit Wilson because of fear/reluctance to admit that Seattle has something good going on and they're going to be a thorn in the 49ers backside for the forseeable future, and eventually St Louis too.

Have you been reading posts around here lately? All I've been saying is that the Seahawks are one of the best teams in the league, the Rams are coming on strong and the NFC West is the toughest division in the NFL. There's no reluctance or fear going on here. It's obvious. And, comparing Russell Wilson to Fran Tarkenton is kind of like the polar opposite of trying to discredit him.
I forgot. You also asked what's the difference between Kaepernick and other tall QB's who can run. Well, for one thing, he's much more accurate than any of them I can think of including RGIII. He was statistically the most accurate long passer in the league last season and he had the highest QBR for his first 8 starts that anyone has ever recorded.

i was talking throughout history, but i get your point, don't agree but i get it.. and my only argument with your gameplan against RW is: it's been tried and has failed on more than one occasion last season.... you can game plan for whatever , but you can't game plan for scrambling and buying time, which he more than exceeds in...