LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

NFC West 2013 Record Projections

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yup. Agree.

Wilson is good. Anyone nitpicking about his height is doing just that, nitpicking. And if that is all people can say about the young man, you should be happy.

You should be upset if we say he isn't a good passer or things like that.
The fact is he is short and the fact is thats one downside in his game.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
hawks - 12-4
niners - 10-6
rams - 9-7
cards - 5-11
Niners. 10-6
Seahawks 10-6
Rams 7-9
Cards 4-12

NFC West is brutal
To whom and how do we lose to six teams? I can't think of 6 teams in this league that are better than us at all. I don't get this logic. And I surely don't see us losing to the same team twice in the same season. Rams will be extremely fortunate to get us this year. We might be underdogs in 2 contests this season, might!
No way the Niners are losing six games next season. Absolutely no way. They would have to complete crash to lose six. I predict that the Niners will sweep the Rams and the Cardinals and split with the Seahawks. Their toughest out of division road games are the Redskins and the Saints. Their toughest out of division home games are Falcons, Texans and Packers. They've beaten the Falcons and Packers on the road and wiped out the Packers at home in the playoffs. They've beaten the Saints in the Super Dome. With a new offense built around Kaepernick and some fixes to their defense, I don't see more than three or four loses.
By the way, with respect to my expectation that the Niners will try to get in Russell Wilson's face, Todd McShay has the Niners selecting Margus Hunt at defensive end with their first pick. Hunt is over 6'8" at 277 lbs and ran a 4.6 sec. 40 at the combine.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
By the way, with respect to my expectation that the Niners will try to get in Russell Wilson's face, Todd McShay has the Niners selecting Margus Hunt at defensive end with their first pick. Hunt is over 6'8" at 277 lbs and ran a 4.6 sec. 40 at the combine.

Teams have tried to get in Wilson's face and he steadily progressed thoughout the season. And Wilson will not be the reason the Niners pick Hunt in the draft if they do so......
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Teams have tried to get in Wilson's face and he steadily progressed thoughout the season. And Wilson will not be the reason the Niners pick Hunt in the draft if they do so......
Really? Do you think the Niners are thinking about Wilson at all as they're preparing defensive schemes for the next season? Does he figure into the plans of the rest or the NFC as they're developing their defenses or are they just ignoring him. Seems to me that he's good enough that people would be considering him as they make their off season moves. Assuming that NFC west teams are thinking about Wilson, how would you suggest they prepare for him?
[ Edited by GNielsen on Mar 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM ]
As late as December, NFL coaches were still not fully preparing their defenses for Russell Wilson's scrambling and running ability. Here's an article about how Julius Peppers didn't think they spent enough time preparing the Bears defense for Wilson and this was in December:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000104876/article/julius-peppers-russell-wilson-caught-bears-off-guard
Originally posted by Beeker:
Future Opponents 2013
HOME
Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Green Bay Packers

AWAY
Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jacksonville Jaguars (London)
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

Hard to really say who COULD beat the 49ers without knowing the exact schedule - but since I'm W.A.G.-ing, ATL, SEA, NO, WAS .... Flame it!

This schedule is definitely favorable...

Of the 4 AFC teams, the two hard ones (Indy and Hou) are at home. + ATL at home is nice. Of the away games, only Seattle, NO, and Wash really scare you.

Obviously, injuries will happen, but I really doubt us losing more than 5 games, which makes us a playoff team.

And 4 of the last 5 SB winners have been lower seeds in the playoffs. It's all about getting healthy and hot getting into the playoffs.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Of the 4 AFC teams, the two hard ones (Indy and Hou) are at home. + ATL at home is nice. Of the away games, only Seattle, NO, and Wash really scare you.

Obviously, injuries will happen, but I really doubt us losing more than 5 games, which makes us a playoff team.

And 4 of the last 5 SB winners have been lower seeds in the playoffs. It's all about getting healthy and hot getting into the playoffs.
They also get the Packers at home. The only extremely questionable away game other than the Seahawks of course is the Saints.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

They also get the Packers at home. The only extremely questionable away game other than the Seahawks of course is the Saints.

Ya, usually I feel our schedule works against us, but this year looks promising, including our 'AWAY' game in London.

Saints game could be tough, but the 49ers sure went in there and took care of bidness last year.
Originally posted by gay4niners:
Don't forget this 2013 game against the Seahawks will be "Gay Day' at the Stick. The San Francisco 49ers have the most Gay fans of any other sports franchise. With Harvey Milk becoming the name of the local Airport, the 49ers may use his name on a patch that will be worn by every player for the remainder of the season.

This patch will be for sale as well.

LOL!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Really? Do you think the Niners are thinking about Wilson at all as they're preparing defensive schemes for the next season? Does he figure into the plans of the rest or the NFC as they're developing their defenses or are they just ignoring him. Seems to me that he's good enough that people would be considering him as they make their off season moves. Assuming that NFC west teams are thinking about Wilson, how would you suggest they prepare for him?

Preparing for someone and drafting a player specifically to be better prepared for someone are two completely different things. Margus Hunt is a good DE with a constant motor. He's been compared to Justin Smith which is probably why people think we might draft him.

I'm sure all NFL DC's are looking at ways to stop all of the mobile QBs in the league who run the pistol/read option, Kaep included. I've read about several NFL DC's that are talking to college coaches to learn how to stop the read option. IMO the best way to prepare for Wilson is to force him to stay in the pocket. Make him beat you with his arm. Simple idea but most teams failed to contain wilson when they rushed him. He's also very good in the pocket, especially later in the season. Having a good NT to get a push up the middle while the ends rush but keep containment seems to be the best way to take Wilson out of his game. Easier said than done.
Share 49ersWebzone