LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaep is 25. He will be 37 by then. I doubt he will be that good then. He will lose a lot of speed by 37. I'd say 31 or so is is top end. 25 - 31. We have 6 years.

But we are losing a lot on defense even this offseason. Justin Smith and Frank Gore both retire within the next 6 years or less. A major change to the team.
When you say we are losing a lot on defense, are you talking about Dashon Goldson? Sopoaga? What exactly are the Niners losing here? I hate to be the guy who keeps pointing this out because I've enjoyed watching Goldson over the years, but based on his 2012 performance, I think a lot of you are over-estimating his value to the defense. Again, 11 safeties had more interceptions than his 3, 7 safeties had more passes defended and 36 safeties had more total tackles. Goldson just did not have a very good year. And, how many times did he kill a drive by doing his patented "blowing up" the receiver?

I think if Goldson is replaced by a safety with better coverage skills and the defensive line is given more depth with a serious tackle rotating with Justin Smith, the defense might get better, not worse. And, on your estimate of Kaepernick's lifespan, are you kidding? He doesn't have to run. He ran on designed plays less than 3% of the time during his first 10 starts. He wants to be a pocket passer. He's got an easy 10 year window. That will put him in his mid thirties. Tom Brady is 35 and still rated as the number one QB in the league.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kaep is 25. He will be 37 by then. I doubt he will be that good then. He will lose a lot of speed by 37. I'd say 31 or so is is top end. 25 - 31. We have 6 years.

But we are losing a lot on defense even this offseason. Justin Smith and Frank Gore both retire within the next 6 years or less. A major change to the team.

Speed is not the only thing that makes Kaep a top QB. If he was a Mike Vick QB you might have a point. Kaep has proven already he can pass as well which means his window will not be closing at 31.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
When you say we are losing a lot on defense, are you talking about Dashon Goldson? Sopoaga? What exactly are the Niners losing here? I hate to be the guy who keeps pointing this out because I've enjoyed watching Goldson over the years, but based on his 2012 performance, I think a lot of you are over-estimating his value to the defense. Again, 11 safeties had more interceptions than his 3, 7 safeties had more passes defended and 36 safeties had more total tackles. Goldson just did not have a very good year. And, how many times did he kill a drive by doing his patented "blowing up" the receiver?

I think if Goldson is replaced by a safety with better coverage skills and the defensive line is given more depth with a serious tackle rotating with Justin Smith, the defense might get better, not worse. And, on your estimate of Kaepernick's lifespan, are you kidding? He doesn't have to run. He ran on designed plays less than 3% of the time during his first 10 starts. He wants to be a pocket passer. He's got an easy 10 year window. That will put him in his mid thirties. Tom Brady is 35 and still rated as the number one QB in the league.
Brady doesn't rely on speed and arm strength
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:

Brett Favre had a cannon at 40.
Kaep is young, 25, so no the window isn't closing. Stop being pessimistic.
Originally posted by spizzy:

You know what? By the time Kaepernick is in his 30's, he won't be relying on speed either. In fact, if you think about it, he doesn't even rely on speed right now. It's just there when he needs it. How many times does he have to say it or demonstrate it. He wants to stand in the pocket and throw passes. But, like Elway in his 30's, he'll always have the arm strength and there's nothing wrong with that. Elway was still throwing fastballs at 35 and so was Farvre.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Kaep is young, 25, so no the window isn't closing. Stop being pessimistic.

It seems very hard for some people to conquer pessimism. I get it. It's a mean old world and I'm the first to admit that. It takes real effort to be optimistic about things. Much easier to sit back in your barcalounger and expect the worst. Then, you're always pleasantly surprised when the worst doesn't happen.

A big part of him is the speed and THREAT OF SPEED when he doesn't use it. Brady will go through 4 reads. Kaep is a 1 read guy with a strong arm. Then he runs. It was rare for him to go to read #2 this year. He had just 10 starts so maybe Harbaugh will coach him up more. He has things you can't coach. Size, strength, speed, arm strength and super fast legs. But his reads aren't like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Nowhere close at the moment.
A big part of him is the speed and THREAT OF SPEED when he doesn't use it. Brady will go through 4 reads. Kaep is a 1 read guy with a strong arm. Then he runs. It was rare for him to go to read #2 this year. He had just 10 starts so maybe Harbaugh will coach him up more. He has things you can't coach. Size, strength, speed, arm strength and super fast legs. But his reads aren't like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Nowhere close at the moment.

Yes, I'm guessing that after just 10 starts, he still needs some coaching. But, he sure seems coachable. He sure seems dedicated to getting better. I see big things.

Yes, I'm guessing that after just 10 starts, he still needs some coaching. But, he sure seems coachable. He sure seems dedicated to getting better. I see big things.

Perhaps. I'd like to see him stay in the pocket more and go through more reads. Only bring out the running in the playoffs. Not just 1 or 2 reads. Do 3 and 4. Stay in there. I think he wil become a better QB and have a longer career at the top too.

Perhaps. I'd like to see him stay in the pocket more and go through more reads. Only bring out the running in the playoffs. Not just 1 or 2 reads. Do 3 and 4. Stay in there. I think he wil become a better QB and have a longer career at the top too.

I think you're going to see less and less of those designed running plays for Kaepernick and they actually didn't do it as much as people think anyway. But, the better he gets at just throwing passes, going through his reads and running that offense, the less he'll be running. And, the nice thing is that it's always there waiting to explode when the pocket breaks down and he has to scramble. He really does get up and go when there is nothing in front of him. It's like 20 yards before they even know he's taken off.
  • marls
  • Veteran
It's tough to get over the hump. We will be in the hunt for years. What else can you ask? We will be the first to 7! Lets hope anyway...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
wtfffff
The Niners played good enough to win the Superbowl. There were just too many non calls by the refs in favor of the Ravens. It does not matter how good a team is in the Superbowl. When you also have to find away to win in spite of the refs. Good luck in winning the Superbowl.

Share 49ersWebzone