There are 177 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think if we still had Alex at QB we would be starting to wonder, but Kaep has only just got started, we night not win a single SB , but then again we might win another 5. either way i am looking forward to the next few years
The window is actually just opening. Next season, with a full season, Kaepernick burns up the league and becomes the "next big thing." The NIners become the team with the explosive, high-scoring offense and the good defense. They become the next version of the Patriots, only with a better defense, where you've got the QB, a cohesive O-line, a few other key players on offense and defense and everything else is plug em in from year to year to stay cool with the cap.

That's my best case scenario at least.
The next two off-seasons are critical. We are going to have to let certain players walk, pick up comp picks for them, sign the most critical players and replace a large chunk with cheap labor from the draft. If we draft solid (it doesn't HAVE to be super amazing) and keep most of our best players, we will be a force for the next 5 - 6 years.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The next two off-seasons are critical. We are going to have to let certain players walk, pick up comp picks for them, sign the most critical players and replace a large chunk with cheap labor from the draft. If we draft solid (it doesn't HAVE to be super amazing) and keep most of our best players, we will be a force for the next 5 - 6 years.

Honestly, I think the Niners really caught a break this year. For once, a draft is extremely deep in everything they need to fix their defense and it just happens to be the year the Niners have the most picks of any team in the league. Plus, the icing on the cake is that there are two kickers who consistently hit from over 50 yards who will be available in the fifth or sixth round. It could be a bonanza.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Honestly, I think the Niners really caught a break this year. For once, a draft is extremely deep in everything they need to fix their defense and it just happens to be the year the Niners have the most picks of any team in the league. Plus, the icing on the cake is that there are two kickers who consistently hit from over 50 yards who will be available in the fifth or sixth round. It could be a bonanza.

Like I've said, everything about our team is pure perfection right now, except for one thing; 5 yards and a missing ring.
End thread

Like I've said, everything about our team is pure perfection right now, except for one thing; 5 yards and a missing ring.

That was last year...

With a good FA period and draft we are on to bigger and better things this coming season.
I still worry that we will be.

The NFL has changed. A 9-7 team can get hot and win the SB coming from the WC. In the 90s, you generally were a powerhouse all year, had a home divisional game, and then went on to play in the big games.

It's too hard to predict who will be good and who won't. Do I think we will be even better next year? Most likely. Does that mean a damn thing? Nope. Some scrub team can get hot and knock us out.

That right combo of luck/skill is so hard to come by. I fear we won't get a better chance because these opportunities come so infrequently.
We still have 10-12 years until kaep retires.

Soooooo no. Our window is just opening

They also have a crapload of free agents they likely won't re-sign, meaning additional picks for the next draft, plus whatever other picks Baalke trades for, so they're in a good spot, all they have to do is draft well, easier said than done but Baalke's track record looks solid thus far.

I sure hope our window is open, and we don't turn into media darlings like the Dallas Cowboys were.
Yes they are. Just look at what happens to most superbowl losers. This team is about to implode big time.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Yes they are. Just look at what happens to most superbowl losers. This team is about to implode big time.

Cool story, bro!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Cool story, bro!
if we do not sign walker or if the power supply to the jugs machine gets lost, we are f**ked
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
We still have 10-12 years until kaep retires.

Soooooo no. Our window is just opening

Kaep is 25. He will be 37 by then. I doubt he will be that good then. He will lose a lot of speed by 37. I'd say 31 or so is is top end. 25 - 31. We have 6 years.

But we are losing a lot on defense even this offseason. Justin Smith and Frank Gore both retire within the next 6 years or less. A major change to the team.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone