There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Originally posted by RonMexico:
with our coaches, front office and young players we will be a dominant team for a long time

just because we finally dont suck doesnt mean there is some imaginary window closing on us

if this were the 1990's, sure. we're living in a league where nobody is dominant for a long time. the one team you would call dominant hasnt once since the 2004 season, its now 2013. its a cruel league where the best team doesnt always win and where its better to be lucky than good in the playoffs.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Do you guys realize how much CK had to learn on the fly? Give him the entire training camp to learn more intricate plays and bond with his receivers and I think we'll see something very special next year. I agree, finding Justin Smith's replacement will be paramount and it won't be easy.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed much is we are NOW a very attractive destination for veteran free agents. Why wouldn't they want to come play in SF?

I'm excited and we are definitely trending upwards. Can't wait till next year...

FA's want to be paid for the most part and are looking for the big deal. We don't do those! We instead go for cheaper 2nd tier guys which has worked out well for us so far but to expect such luck to continue is asking a bit much.

Heck, we don't even pay our own players what they want. This helps our cap space but in the years to come this too will change. When a team is on the rise, the players are in it with the team and do contracts that they are presented and are happy with that. With success, players get noticed, go to probowls and then will want to be paid and will not be happy just to be on a good team. Happens all the time and you can't blame players for it cause their careers are so short!

By the way, you just have to look at the Packers to see what can happen in a very short period of time to a very talented team! They went from all world and looked unstoppable to a so so team within 2 years! Look at the Broncos this year, they were clearly a very talanted team who many had going to the bowl this year and bam, they get beat by a less talented team but a hot team.

I sure hope we keep getting these chances but nothing is a given in the NFL and it takes so many things to go right even for a very talented team like ours to even make it to a Superbowl.
We shouldn't have even seen an open window.

At the beginning of the year, the conventional wisdom was "Get Alex to the next level" with more weapons and bring back the defense intact so they can continue to play at the elite level. If both happen, we could reach there. Neither happened (we kept the defense intact - but they were anything but elite down the stretch), but reach the SB????

This is more apropos for the Patriots. How many more chances do they get with Brady?

Niners? What team has more promise than Niners going forward?
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM ]
"Niners? What team has more promise than Niners going forward?"

That's why they're the odds-on favorite to go back to the Super Bowl for the NFC next season.
I think its just difficult to fathom that a team that's been so close twice, could be there a for a consecutive third year... if w were coming out from the afc I would be more optimistic.. but considering were coming out of the nfc and will have to duke it out with GB, ATL, NO, NY, SEA, CHI, its just going to be difficult.. so many things have to go right.. so many variables need to go your way.. talent and potential do not guarantee championships.. making plays when you need to does, and so far we havnt done that ... its sad to say, but all we can do is believe and watch .. just like every year
I guess what im trying to express is that yes maybe we do have this proverbial window open, but hey its open.. has been for two years now, and having that window doesn't guarantee you anything, it doesn't mean it'll take us to another superbowl, it just guarantees we'll be relevant. It is still up to the team to win the games. We're not the only team with this window.
No, we'll be good next year.
I just realized how many starters going into 2015/draft picks going into April we have and WOW... holy f**king s**t... wow. -Baalke has been taking care of business, we have enough ammo to rebuild our backfield/skill positions to get back to the Superbowl for at least 5 more years. -This loss also could have triggered a 'revenge' mentality (this team's cherry is popped, they know it's them against the world now after being f**ked).

The loss hurts so much, but I'm finally starting to see what everybody was talking about... this team f**king young, and stacked.
Average age of 49ers starters in the Super Bowl: 26 years old. The window is wipe open and will remain so for the next 5 years and beyond.

Ultimately, as long as Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke are here, the window is open. They took a 6-10 team and immediately built it into a perennial contender.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I just realized how many starters going into 2015/draft picks going into April we have and WOW... holy f**king s**t... wow. -Baalke has been taking care of business, we have enough ammo to rebuild our backfield/skill positions to get back to the Superbowl for at least 5 more years. -This loss also could have triggered a 'revenge' mentality (this team's cherry is popped, they know it's them against the world now after being f**ked).

The loss hurts so much, but I'm finally starting to see what everybody was talking about... this team f**king young, and stacked.

Best post ever!!
NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
the next year we make it to the SUPERBOWL
and if the pattern continues SUPERBOWL Winners
Not many coaches make it to the NFCC in their first year with a s**tty team.

And not many coaches make the super bowl in their second year.

And not many QBs make the super bowl in their first starts. We are here to stay for the long run i think. We need to solidify that secondary and OLB/D Line depth in the draft.

Offense is set assuming MM and KW return. Hopefully AJ gets his ass together.
Originally posted by MrFantastic:
I'm sure the Dolphins thought that too when Dan Marino made it to the Superbowl in his 2nd year

They were not nearly as talented as the 49ers are.
  • Plat
  • Veteran
I just hope the Niners don't go the Jets route...reaching the AFC championship two years in a row but then boom downhill ever since
Originally posted by OldJoe:
We shouldn't have even seen an open window.

At the beginning of the year, the conventional wisdom was "Get Alex to the next level" with more weapons and bring back the defense intact so they can continue to play at the elite level. If both happen, we could reach there. Neither happened (we kept the defense intact - but they were anything but elite down the stretch), but reach the SB????

This is more apropos for the Patriots. How many more chances do they get with Brady?

Niners? What team has more promise than Niners going forward?

Whose got more promise than the Niners?
Noooobody!